BriarEvans2016
Zaradi

The Dallas Cowboys Should Part Ways With Coach Garrett.

Zaradi
Started: 11/9/2012 Category: Sports

BriarEvans2016

Pro

The Cowboys have been a wild card in the NFL. You never know if they are going to win or lose.

Before I Continue, let's go over some rules.
1. No Spamming.
2. No Trolling.
3. Have Fun At All Times!

Though the Cowboys have won three games this season, Garrett is on the Hot Seat for a reason - He Can't Win Dallas any games.
Zaradi

Con

I accept this debate.

I will be arguing that the fault lies not on the Dallas Cowboy's head coach Jason Garret, but eater on two different people:

1. The Dallas Cowboy's General Manager, Jerry Jones

2. The Dallas Cowboy's starting quarterback, Tony Romo.

With that, I await my opponents case.
BriarEvans2016

Pro

Just to correct my opponent's spelling;
*either.

My opponent saying that the Cowboy's head coach, Jason Garret is not the problem is a false statement. If we take a closer look at things, Garret is the whole problem.

Let's evaluate Romo's playing;
1. Romo's No Huddle Is Excellent.
Whenever Romo is doing his own thing and does not listen to Coach Garret, Romo does excellent. An example of this is against the Falcons last Sunday night. Late 4th Quarter, Romo threw to Kevin Ogletree in the back of the endzone. Garret hadn't called one thing (I do believe) in that drive.

2. The game against the Ravens.
The clock was running down, Dallas had one more time out and decided not to use it until the final 3 - 4 seconds. This gave Dan Bailey, kicker for Dallas, time to get ready. Bailey had missed the kick. This can be blamed on Garret for not calling a timeout once the receiver had caught the ball and got tackled and giving Dan Bailey more prep-time for a game-winning field goal kick against the Ravens.

3. Last Season Against Arizona.
Garret called a timeout once Dan Bailey kicked a game-winning field goal kick.
Garret had iced his own kicker.
Bailey misses it next time out.

My opponent also stated that it might be Jerry Jones fault.
Since the retirement of Tom Landry, Jerry Jones became the proud owner of the Cowboy's organization. Think of all of the coaches he has hired;
1. Jimmy Johnson - 2 Super Bowl Rings. (Retired Early).
2. Barry Switzer - 1 Super Bowl Ring. (Fired).
3. Bill Parcells - Playoff Appearance.
4. Wade Phillips - Fired. Went to Houston - Top 3 Defense.
5. Jason Garret - Probably Going To Get Fired.

Garret's record is 16-16 as of right now. Garret is not the answer for the Cowboy's organization. Jerry Jones has hired brilliant coaches over the years. Garret, though, is a dud.
Zaradi

Con

I thank my opponent for his last round. It seems that he spent most of his time refuting what I am going to support instead of actually supporting his own position. So with that in mind, I will present my case and refute some of the claims made by my opponent, then attack his case.

The entire Cowboy's organization, currently, is a flop. The team has star power coming out of every possible orofice and bodily hole, yet it can barely scrap together wins against mediocre teams, barring a few lucky exceptions. With that in mind, we all want to know: who's at fault? Where does the buck stop? I have two possible candidates for where the fault lies and, upon their removal and replacement, could be looking at a brighter future in terms of the team's potential to win a lot of games.

Suspect Number One: Tony Romo

Tony Romo, for those of you who live under a rock, is the starting quarterback for the Cowboys and is, at best, highly inconsistent. This year is a perfect example for his inconsistencies. Sure, whenever he's playing well he's throwing 69% completion rate and a 98 passer rating with few to no interceptions(1). But whenever he plays horribly, which happens more often than when he plays well, he drops 5% in completion and almost 25 points in passer rating with far more interceptions than touchdowns(1). Hell, he's been ranked under average-to-slightly-above-average quarterbacks like freaking PHILLIP RIVERS(2) (I'm a Chargers fan myself and I'm saying that). To win games, you need a good leader behind the center, and Romo just isn't it. Although it isn't ALL his fault: placing all that blame is a little more than Romo could ever hope to screw up. So there's gotta be someone higher up that's at fault....

Suspect Number Two: Jerry Jones

Again, for those of you who have been sleeping in a drug-induced coma for the past few years, Jerry Jones is the General Manager for the Cowboys and is a money-obsessed, greedy, incompetent man. His want for glitz and glammor can be seen through the value of the team and how much we actually paid for our stadium. Total cost of production for Cowboy stadium was 1.2 billion dollars(3). This is the fourth-most expensive stadium in the entire nation(4). Furthermore, the total value of the Cowboys is about 1.8 billion(3). Subtract the value of the stadium, and the total value of our team is only 600 million. Our stadium is TWICE AS VALUABLE as the actual team itself. Should speak about something of our team. Imagine all the good we could've done for the team had we not blown so much money on a massive screen that hangs over the field and blocks kick offs and punts and makes the referee's jobs miserable and actually invested it into bringing in star-caliber players and coaches. Maybe then we wouldn't have to hear people complaining about Jason Garrett! Or, y'know, we could actually be winning more games. That helps as well.

Jerry Jones's love for glitz and glammor has often gotten in the way of actually effectively managing the team instead of turning them into one massive money-farming cow that he keeps trying to beat to death with a bat. Let's look at the coaches Jerry has hired and fired.

Wade Phillips: Good head coach, did much better than Garret has done so far. Got us to the playoffs two years running, and actually won a game in the playoffs as well. Jerry fired him. Now he's at Houston, giving them one of the best defenses in the nation. Smart move Jerry? Nope(5).

Bill Parcells: So-so head coach, but still did better than Garret has done so far. Got us to the playoffs, but couldn't win a game there. Got fired so that we can get Phillips. Maybe a smart move, but to where it's gotten us? I'd take Parcells over Garrett. This, of course, only begs the question of why did we fire him if now we're stuck with someone worse(5).

Also, let's give Garrett a break: he's hardly had enough time to really get settled in and working at 100%. He's been in Dallas for two years, at most, and only played a handfull of games compared to the other coaches we had and eventually fired(5). They all ended up doing better the longer they stayed. So while Garrett may not be doing well now, we should at least give him a little more time to let him flesh out everything that he wants to flesh out and give him every chance to succeed before looking elsewhere.

I'll concede one thing: Jason Garrett isn't exactly the best coach so far. Is that justification to pin the entirety of the blame on him and send him on his way so early? Hardly, considering that there are two better people to look to getting rid of before you get rid of Garrett. Thus, the resolution is negated.

(1) - http://espn.go.com...
(2) - http://espn.go.com...
(3) - http://stadiumblog.dallasnews.com...
(4) - http://www.bankrate.com...
(5) - http://en.wikipedia.org...;
BriarEvans2016

Pro

BriarEvans2016 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Con

Awh, my first actual sports debate (I don't consider the "Is Pitching better than hitting" a real debate) and he forfeits. Sad day D:

Extend all arguments.
BriarEvans2016

Pro

BriarEvans2016 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Con

Come on now. I know you've been on recently enough to respond. Did you just get scared off by the text wall? D:

Extend all arguments.
BriarEvans2016

Pro

BriarEvans2016 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Con

Awh. Sad day.

Vote for me!
Posted by BlackVoid 4 years ago
BlackVoid
Imo they need to trash both Garrett AND Jerry.
Vote Placed by TigerTime 4 years ago
TigerTime
BriarEvans2016ZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by emj32 4 years ago
emj32
BriarEvans2016ZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit