The Death Penalty- Good thing (pro) or bad thing (con)

Ok, so lately at school we've been covering capital punishment (the death penalty), but we haven't really gone into a debate whether it is a good thing or not. So, I'd like to discuss this topic before I take part in a class debate, so that way I will be ready.

No trolling or foul language.
Round 1- Acceptance only
Rounds 2/3- The battle begins.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish my opponent good luck :)

I accept and welcome my opponent to a fine battle

The Death Penalty, also known as Capital Punishment, is the ultimate form of punishment and can work in many different ways. For example, criminals can be sentenced to death, and then killed by the electric chair, lethal injection or a firing squad.

Either way you put it, by sentencing a criminal to death, you are taking away one of the most important human rights: life. Also, by executing a criminal, you are therefore a murderer. The Death Penalty, when carried out, is most indeed a sin. It goes against the sixth commandment, "Thou shall not kill". People say it is justice, but in fact it is revenge. Retribution is not the best form of punishment, especially if you are a Christian.
"Do not repay evil for evil, do not take revenge." Romans 12:17-19

Finally, there have been many people who have been wrongly accused of committing a crime, and then convicted. If that were to happen, and that innocent person were to receive the punishment of death, the government would have killed an innocent man or woman, and what good would that do?

Anakin forfeited this round.

Unfortunately, I am able to rebut any of my opponent's points, but I shall carry on to make my final arguments.

Everyone has an inalienable human right to life, even those who commit murder; sentencing a person to death and executing them violates that right.

This is very similar to the 'value of life' argument, but approached from the perspective of human rights.

Everyone thinks human life is valuable. Some of those against capital punishment believe that human life is so valuable that even the worst murderers should not be deprived of the value of their lives.

They believe that the value of the offender's life cannot be destroyed by the offender's bad conduct - even if they have killed someone.

The main argument that retribution is immoral is that it is just a sanitised form of vengeance. Scenes of howling mobs attacking prison vans containing those accused of murder on their way to and from court, or chanting aggressively outside prisons when an offender is being executed, suggest that vengeance remains a major ingredient in the public popularity of capital punishment.

Anakin forfeited this round.
Posted by Anakin 2 years ago
Again Sorry first my missed first round

My opponent had some good points but the debate is about is the Death Penalty Good or Bad, you are bringing up your moral views. The Death Penalty a State Law and The United States has the Separation of State and Church. The bible supports it also, it even brings it up in the very first and very last books of the Bible and a lot in between.

Genesis 9:6 - "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."

Revelation 13:10 says, "He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints."
This debunk you reasons because the bible invented the death penalty which total contradict your main reasons.

My points why its good, In theory it can be cheaper than keeping someone alive for life in prison, just to murder again in prison or once they get released, then built more prisons, more tax dollars for their trails, the chance of them escaping etc.

2.Another good, it provide closure for its victims, many times a person lost their loved ones who were innocent , but the person who did the killing is free to live. For most people this seems unfair.
3. Its a warning not to kill others, image how many more innocent people would be murdered if they didn't have the death penalty to fear. Without it more human lives would be lost.

4. If one commits Murder, them losing their live would be the more accurate punishment.

My last point everybody know there is a death penalty and yet they still decide to kill.... They know the consequences yet they dont care enough not to kill. In my opinion Capital Punishment should be broadcasted more just so potential murders know about the consequences and I guarantee there will be a decrease in murders. See the question is not should we keep the death penalty or not but how can we stop murders from happening.

My computer glit
Posted by Anakin 2 years ago
Sorry I missed round 2 in the debate
Posted by SebUK 2 years ago
Con is a twat for using religious arguments which should and are not taken into account in a country where the government and the church are seperated even if he is from a country that hasnt seperated religion and state his arguments are invalid because making laws based on religion is immoral and doesnt understand that this is forcing your religious beliefs on people who might not be religious and if con is from USA i would like to add that taking religion into account when making a law would be unconstitutional USA is not a country built on Christain values but a country built on ideas of freedom , liberty and tolerance in fact most of the founding fathers were either deists or agnostics. In fact if USA was raised on Christain values than we would be stoning homosexuals and arresting people for watching pornography right now
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Your representing a big issue DebateGirl. Don't let them down.
Vote Placed by codemeister13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF by Pro with no arguments presented.