Callen13
debator1256

The Death Penalty for Murderers

Callen13

Callen13

Pro

I challenge anyone to debate me on this.

If you accept, I thank you in advance.(:

I believe in the Death Penalty because I believe in Life.

Opening Statements

Allowing murders to live is wrong in my opinion.

Everyone has the right to live, until they take that right from someone else, then their own right to life is forfeit. Unless you take the responsibility of the executioner. The executioner keeps his/her right to life because they preserve life by stopping those who seek to destroy it.

This is the same reason why war is necessary. Those who have the power to stop murderers and sit by while murderers run rampant are just as guilty as those doing the murdering.

You may suggest life in prison. I disagree to this because life in prison is better than death. In prison, there will always be a glimmer of hope but there is no hope in death. And death is what a person deserving the death penalty has caused.

Thank you for reading. I hope for an interesting debate.

debator1256

Con

"Everyone has the right to live, until they take that right from someone else, then their own right to life is forfeit. Unless you take the responsibility of the executioner. The executioner keeps his/her right to life because they preserve life by stopping those who seek to destroy it."

Morally, I believe that playing with another person's life is like playing with fire, because in the end you just get burned. Killing someone can never be excused, even if it's a murderer's life. All life has some type of value no matter how small it is. The decision of whether someone should die is in that person's own hands, not the hands anyone else. If we kill them, we're just stooping to their level. We must set an example to the people saying, taking another person's right to live is not right.

"You may suggest life in prison. I disagree to this because life in prison is better than death. In prison, there will always be a glimmer of hope but there is no hope in death. And death is what a person deserving the death penalty has caused."

It's unlikely that a deranged murderer would have any chance of probation or escape in a maximum security prison. Anyways, isn't death a little better than spending a life sentence in a place where you might be beaten, raped, and murdered. Dieing from lethal injection is like getting away with the crime they committed. It's like a kid brakes the window, gets spanked, and the whole situation is over. Pain lasts for a short time, but a long term punishment, like removing privileges, would leave more of an effect. People who have committed gruesome crimes should be punished not killed. Killing the criminal would only allow the the criminal to skip the harsh punishment they might deserve.
Callen13

Pro

" Killing someone can never be excused, even if it's a murderer's life."

"If we kill them, we're just stooping to their level."

- Con Statements

Response: So if a man came to your house everyday and murdered one of your family members and/or friends, and the only way to stop this man was to kill him yourself, you would not? You would stand by and allow your loved ones lives to be taken because you want to make a point ?

This type of blind peace ideology is the father of slavery. If you believe and stand by what you say, you are a slave waiting to be taken by a master.

Life is a right. A right that deserves to be protected. Murderers must be stopped. Sometimes murder is necessary.

"Dieing from lethal injection is like getting away with the crime they committed."

- Con Statement (hope everyone notices the spelling mistake, just saying)

I guess this is just a differing opinion between you and me. I think Life in prison is better than dying. In prison you get three meals a day, you don't have to worry about bills or anyone else, you can read, play games, take college courses, watch television, listen to music, socialize, write letters and occasionally visit with friends and family. Yes there are some downsides, but that's life.

I bet that if anyone who was murdered could see their murderer, sitting on a bed reading a book or maybe playing cards with new found friends, they would be disgusted by the complete lack of justice.

One who takes a life, forfeits their own to the hand of execution.

debator1256

Con

Sorry, for the spelling error.

"So if a man came to your house everyday and murdered one of your family members and/or friends, and the only way to stop this man was to kill him yourself, you would not? You would stand by and allow your loved ones lives to be taken because you want to make a point ?"
(Hope everyone notices the grammer mistake, just saying)

First of all, if he was about to kill me in a matter of minutes then, I would kill him. I would only kill for self-defense, and the only law I would listen to in a situation like this is nature's law, "Survival of the fittest". As you should know, in situations like this, there is no time for anything (especially diplomacy), but for quick decisive action.

Secondly, if he was just killing my friends and family, I would still kill him. I would kill him, not for justice, but revenge, something I don't think our justice system should be based on.

"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice."
-Desmond Tutu

"This type of blind peace ideology is the father of slavery. If you believe and stand by what you say, you are a slave waiting to be taken by a master."

For the record, I believe that some wars are necessary as a means to the end, but other wars end in needless violence and death. I don't think peace is the answer for everything, but violence isn't either.

"I guess this is just a differing opinion between you and me. I think Life in prison is better than dying. In prison you get three meals a day, you don't have to worry about bills or anyone else, you can read, play games, take college courses, watch television, listen to music, socialize, write letters and occasionally visit with friends and family. Yes there are some downsides, but that's life."

All those facts maybe true, but the truth still stands, prison is not a hotel. Prison is a place where you are sent and forgotten by the public. Prison is where you can't do anything feeling safe. Prison is a place where your life is constantly endangered by your roommate, fellow prisoners, and sometimes the guards who are supposed to protect you. In time a prisoner's spirit will break there, most of the time they stop dreaming of freedom and start hoping for the cold grasp of death to cradle them away from their living hell. Yes, life has its downsides, but being in prison for murder is a pitfall, with no sign of going back up.

Callen13

Pro

"If we kill them, we're just stooping to their level. We must set an example to the people saying, taking another person's right to live is not right."

"Secondly, if he was just killing my friends and family, I would still kill him. I would kill him, not for justice, but revenge, something I don't think our justice system should be based on."

When I made the statements before I was just making sure that you aren't taking the side that says killing is wrong no matter what. I think that by your newest statements, we can determine that you at least believe that killing murderers can be necessary.

-Desmond Tutu

The definition of Justice: the act of being just and/or fair.

Honestly, taking a life when a life has been lost seems to be the only form of Justice according to the definition. How many years in prison could ever account for the years the victim will not be spending FREE with his/her family, breathing, eating, sleeping, playing, thinking, laughing, sharing...

We have come to a point in the debate where we must determine weather life in prison, or death, is the correct penalty for murderers. This is the basic debate.

Death Versus Life in Prison

Now for anyone following and/or reading this debate, it has just become a game of would-you-rather.

Possible Downsides to Prison
- Possibility of being beaten.
- Possibility of being raped.
- Loss of dreams for the outside world

Upsides to Prison
- Three square meals a day
- Possible friendships
- Play Games (cards, sports, etc.)
- Extra Privileges for good behavior
- You can write letters to family and friends
- You can still learn and think about anything
- You can study anything you want
- You can pursue religious hope.

Also, you have the possibility of cutting those downsides out if the murder was due to gang or mob activity, because there may be protection waiting for you in prison.

Based on my knowledge and my belief in the quality of life, I conclude that I would most assuredly choose prison over death on any given day and I'm not even in a gang.

Based on what I believe, and what I think most would believe, Death is the only justice when it comes to murder.
debator1256

Con

Final Statements

Think about the definition of justice. The most common form of execution, these days, is by lethal injection. The drug they use for the injection causes the prisoner to fall asleep, stop breathing, and then stops the heart. This causes very little pain and ends the prisoners life almost immediately. For the sake of this debate, let's say that there is no heaven or hell, this would mean the murderer was able to painlessly end his life and face no actual punishment for his crimes.

Many people who have been murdered have gone through excruciating pain before they could die, such as being stabbed in the stomach, beaten to death, or shot. Think about the physical pain of the victims and the emotional pain from their grieving families and friends the murderer has caused. Do you believe that this could all be forgiven with the painless death of the murderer?

In prison the only law is "Survival of the fittest". Sure you may some benefits, but they mean nothing if the muderer never gets out. Any friendship, alliance, or gang means absolutely nothing, you still have the high chance of death, especially if your gang decides your no use to them.

Here's a list of the pros and cons of the Death penalty:

Pros

• Possibly ending the life a killer.
  • Possible closure for victims families.

Cons

• Possibly ending the life of an innocent person.
  • Costs millions of dollars more,per year, to execute the person than to give them a life sentance.(look it up)
  • No pain and suffering whats so ever given to the murderer.

Thank you to voters of this debate, and thank you to Callen13 for this interesting debate.

May the best debator win!!! :D

Posted by Callen13 4 years ago
Callen13
It's a debate about what is right.
Posted by AlextheYounga 4 years ago
AlextheYounga
You both have no real arguments since its all opinion...
Posted by Callen13 4 years ago
Callen13
Next time then.
Posted by TheDiabolicDebater 4 years ago
TheDiabolicDebater
Looks like debator1256 beat me to it, ha.
Posted by Callen13 4 years ago
Callen13
I'll change it if ya want..
TheDiabolicDebater
Aww, only 1000 characters :(
Vote Placed by Cobo 4 years ago
Cobo
Callen13debator1256Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This was an overall horrible debate...bot arguments were extremely weak, but I'll give Pro spelling and grammar
Vote Placed by CiRrK 4 years ago
CiRrK
Callen13debator1256Tied
Reasons for voting decision: umm ok so basically I would say neither did a stellar job. But I vote Pro based on the analysis that some killing is necessary for some overall protection of the individual and society. Between death penalty and war the end is the same - remove bad ppl. The Con's case was like a badly written Dr. Seuss book.