Balfer
TorqueDork

The Death Penalty

TorqueDork

Balfer

Pro

The first round will just be an acceptance round.
TorqueDork

Con

I accept, and thanks for the fun debate topic
Balfer

Pro

No problem.
First of all I'll say while I do agree with the death penalty I think it should be very hard to be sentenced to. So imagine this. It is a summer night and your sleeping in bed with your wife and daughters downstairs. Someone breaks in and before you can do anything about it he has brutally slaughtered your wife and daughters. How could this man possibly just go to prison. He took innocent lives so why shouldn't a fair punishment for him be the death penalty. An eye for eye, right? I do realize many arguments against the death penalty are that what if an innocent was sentenced with a death penalty. While this is possible it is very rare. An innocent man has a better chance of being killed by a falling meteor. The death penalty offers more reward than risk. Also another thought is when someone doesn't get the death penalty there is a decent chance he will be out on the streets before he dies. Very few people serve a full life penalty. Would you really want to take a chance of this man being back on the streets someday?
TorqueDork

Con

Firstly I will defend your arguments

"How could this man possibly just go to prison."

Very easily, he could be given a life sentence and you would never see him again. Some would argue life in prison is worse than death

"He took innocent lives so why shouldn't a fair punishment for him be the death penalty."
Because death penalty is costly [1] and the person who they find to be the murderer may be the wrong person [2]

"An eye for eye, right?"
Wrong. Many well respected people (ahem Gandhi) didn't believe this to be true

"I do realize many arguments against the death penalty are that what if an innocent was sentenced with a death penalty. While this is possible it is very rare. An innocent man has a better chance of being killed by a falling meteor."
Actually, the chances of being falsely accused of the death penalty are 0.897226753670473% (although this is only based on cases that we suspect, there is undouptably countless other cases that we haven't suspected) and the chances of being killed by meteor are 0.00039999999999999996% so the chance of being killed by accidentally accusation is much higher.[3]

"The death penalty offers more reward than risk."
What are these rewards?

"Also another thought is when someone doesn't get the death penalty there is a decent chance he will be out on the streets before he dies."
Based on what evidence?

Now onto my arguments

Argument 1- It costs so much money to kill someone.
According to my sources [1] it costs over 2.4 million taxpaying dollars to put someone through death penalty. I did that math and that amounts to approx. two billion nine hundred forty-two million four hundred thousand dollars being wasted killing people, and twenty-six million four hundred thousand of that was spent on killing innocent people

Argument 2- It doesn't deter crime rates
Studies have shown that the death penalty doesn't deter crime, states without death penalty actually have lower crime rates (whether this is relevant or not is up to your interpretation)

Argument 3- If the state is allowed to kill people whose to decide who they can't kill?
If the state has the power to kill someone simply because their judges say so whose to say they can't falsely accuse an enemy of the state and kill them?

[1] http://www.statisticbrain.com...
[2] http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...
[3] http://www.wired.com...
[4] http://www.deathpenalty.org...

Balfer

Pro

Balfer forfeited this round.
TorqueDork

Con

I don't have much more to say without him arguing...so....
Balfer

Pro

Balfer forfeited this round.
TorqueDork

Con

Extend arguments.
Balfer

Pro

Balfer forfeited this round.
TorqueDork

Con

Extend arguments.
Vote Placed by STALIN 2 years ago
STALIN
BalferTorqueDorkTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented good arguments. Pro on the other hand mostly ff. Points go to Con for supporting his position with good arguments backed up by sources.