Kc1999
katelinomfg

The Death Penalty

Kc1999

Kc1999

Pro

Rnd 1 is acceptance

I will be arguing for it
Kc1999

Pro

RESOLUTION: The Death Penalty should not be abolished

The death penalty has always been a controversial debate topic. In this increasingly changing world, we must decide upon a dillema, to change or to keep. Before I start with my points, I would like to define several points in the resolution:

The Death Penalty: a legal process whereby a person is put to death by the state as a punishment for a crime.
Abolished: To get rid of

The law has been an important part of human society and humanity itself; law has preserved humanity and it's existence from the barbaric actions of our fellow human brothers. From the ruins of Athens, where law has been the "masters and preservers of humanity"; there was a story revolving Athens.

A Persian Master once said to an Athenian exile "how many men do I need to defeat Athens? Surely 40,000 would be enough". The Athenian exile, an ex-politician himself, soon replied with easy words; "You cannot. They fear the law too much; perhaps they fear that more than your servants fear you."

One cannot stress the importance of law in human society. But why is the death penalty such an important part of law? Why can we not dodge the death penalty for other alternatives, other than death?

1. The Death Penalty Saves Lives and preserve Law and Order

Exhibit One: Singapore

That small city state that broke the barrier of the third world into the first world in three decade has been under the strong and iron-willed leadership of the Right-Winged People's Action Party, has been introducing strict laws and enforcing them for the last 3 decades. Singapore has the world's second highest execution per capita, but yet Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. Petty offences, such as pickpocketting, are not very common, but is one of Singapore's most common crime. Violent crime is rare although it does happen once in a blue moon. This is because of strict (very strict indeed) laws regarding the death penalty; for example, carrying 1,200 grams of opium can get you executed in Singapore, whereas a jail sentence would probably be given out if a situation like this was to happen in a different country. We can clearly see that the death penalty has had a positive effect on Singapore's crime rate.

Exhibit Two: Texas

This huge state (twice the size of the sovereign nation of Thailand) who is known for it's cowboys and rancheros has the second highest execution rates, with 1,466 people having been executed in Texas; perhaps unsurprisingly, Texas has a very low crime rate; with 2 murders and 3 arsons per 100,000 citizens. Although laws here are less strict than that of Singapore, they are still moderately strict, with murder for renumation (aka contract killing) and murder of a person less than ten years of age could get you the death penalty. Texas therefore has a low number of murders; this is clear proof that the death penalty saves lives and preserves law and order of the thousands of innocent civilians that live among murderers.

2. The Abolishing of the Death Penalty increases more crime

Norway fits perfectly in this category; in 1979, the death penalty was abolished. Crime statistics in Norway, then, were already low. However, reports starting from the year 2000 shows that crime statistics in Norway has been increasing; in 2008, Norway reported 34 murders country wide. Although this puts Norway's murder rates at 0.69 per 100,000 citizens (relatively low), other crimes have been increasing. Sex offending crimes, like rape, have been on the increase in Norway (and Sweden), to the point that a German tourist guidebook has declared the city "the crime center of Scandinavia" and Oslo has been declared "unsafe for lone female tourists". On a much more related note, the White Supremacist Anders Breivik, who is now serving an indefinite term for killing 77 youth labor party enthuiasts, is now receiving first-class treatment for a crime in which he DEFINITELY deserved a death sentence. As we can see, the abolishing of the death penalty results an increase in crime.

3. The Death penalty carries ultimate justice

A man cannot be put to death unless he has been rightfully accused by law, and there is no evidence to contradict the action (which violated the law) in which he committed. The death penalty carries ultimate justice, as all fate of men lie in law. We humans were brought up to be law loving, and to love the law. Therefore, to abolish it would let the criminals run wild. As seen in my two previous cases, the death penalty has the ability to provide a positive effect on law and enforcement. This is a fact in which we cannot deny. The argument that all life is sacred does not overrule the argument for the better of society. In order for our future to be as propserous as our past, we must not abolish the measures that has preserved law and order for the last 2,000 years.

CONCLUSION:

The death penalty should not be abolished. It is because the death penalty decreases murder, and abolishing it increase crime rate, and that all men's fate lie in law, is why we should not abolish the death penalty.

I wish the opponent the best of luck in her next argument.

Citations:
http://www.prodeathpenalty.com...

katelinomfg

Con

katelinomfg forfeited this round.
katelinomfg

Con

katelinomfg forfeited this round.
Kc1999

Pro

Opponent FF. Vote Pro.

Thanks
Kc1999
katelinomfg

Con

katelinomfg forfeited this round.
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
Duh it wasn't fun for me. But my ELO increased by 200 in the last two days. So I guess I can't really complain.
Posted by katelinomfg 2 years ago
katelinomfg
Yep :)

Sorry I guess that wasn't really fun for you but maybe we can debate some other time (when I have notifications lol)
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
Well played. Although it was horribly one sided :)
Posted by katelinomfg 2 years ago
katelinomfg
Whoops I guess you win. I didn't have notifications turned on lmaoo
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
What do you mean you can't vote? :(
Posted by softball_32 2 years ago
softball_32
i can't vote but i think Kc1999 did good
Vote Placed by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
Kc1999katelinomfgTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct- con FF'd..... S&G- con didn't have a chance to make any errors here, so I can't judge it.... Args- Pro actually made arguments.... Sources- Pro actually used sources.