YatesUni
JcMagic2015

The Democrats won the Vietnam War for North Vietnam

JcMagic2015 has forfeited round #2.

YatesUni

Pro

This is not a debate on whether the Vietnam war was worth fighting or not, but simply on whose fault it was that we lost, or if my opponent wants to, that we never could win, his or her choice. I will not be presenting my arguments round one and I don't care whether or not my opponent chooses to do so. All I ask is that they are respectful and stay on topic at all times. I will not ask my opponent to cite sources right away, but if I believe that false information is being used then I will. And if my opponent would like me to cite my sources then I would be happy to.
JcMagic2015

Con

I'll take this from the point of view that it's not as simple as a political party leading to the loss of the war and that there were significantly more factors, un-party related (more in-line with how things were being done at multiple levels).
YatesUni

Pro

I am going to use this round to teach everyone a history lesson. Late in the war in 1972 the US decided to begin bombing The North Capital. Hanoi and the port city Haiphong. We told them we would stop if they agreed to attend the Paris peace talks, and it worked. We attended, North Vietnam attended, and the Viet Cong attended. The end agreement was that the communist invasions would immediately halt, and they did. And we made sure that North Vietnam wouldn't try to invade again by making a public agreement with South Vietnam, stating that if the North where ever to invade again, then we would supply South Vietnam with a piece by piece replacement deal. This effectively ended the war. No one should be chasing peace anymore, because peace has already been achieved. The deaths of that war, while tragic, meant something. We had helped the South Vietnamese escape communist tyranny. That day was known as Victory in Vietnam Day. But it wasn't over yet.

You see, the Democratic peace activists were upset, the war was over, but they were still mad. These people had invested in Americas failure, since we won the war, their whole movement would be labeled as a failure and they wouldn't be remembered. But they were thrown a huge life preserver when Watergate went down, effectively ruining Nixon's reputation and the reputation of the Republican party. Do to this, the democrats had a landslide victory in the congressional elections. And they used their majority to announce to the entire world, fresh out of war, that if North Vietnam were to invade the weaker south, the US would do nothing. Why do this? The North immediately invaded. The deaths that once stood for something, were then thrown away, all because of the Democrats selfish preoccupations. It was with Democratic principles, the support of the Democratic Party and Peace Movement, that this happened. And the rest were powerless. President Gerald Ford nearly begged them in front of the nation to keep the promise of the US, to make sure that we don't throw away all the effort we put into help the South, and the all walked out. Heartless. They selfishly threw the war away, the war that was already won.

Tell me now, who lost the war?
Did they really bring peace?
Was it at all ethical to throw away this war that we won?
The answer to all is no.

Thank you for reading.
Posted by JcMagic2015 3 months ago
JcMagic2015
I can honestly say you have spread some in my direction. Thank you.
Posted by YatesUni 3 months ago
YatesUni
That's fine. I am not here to defeat people, I am hear to spread knowledge.
Posted by JcMagic2015 3 months ago
JcMagic2015
Apologies, I missed the window. However, you crushed me on that opening. I concede defeat. Very well done sir.