Mikal
UnderHill

The Denver Broncos are currently the best team in American Football

Mikal
Started: 11/11/2013 Category: Sports

Mikal

Con

Resolution - The Broncos are currently better than any other football team in American Football. This is including both professional and college teams.

Prior to this my adversary and I have already established the terms of the debate. He is taking on the BOP to show that they are better than all other teams. I have been allowed to use multiple teams as ways to argue my side. My job is to simply show the Broncos are not the best team currently, and it is his job to meet the BOP and show that they are in fact the best.

R1: Me : : Rules and guidelines
R1: My adversary: shall go straight into making his points and contentions

R2: Me: My contentions and points
R2: Adversary : He shall offer rebuttals and rebuild upon his contentions while offering closing remarks.

R3: Me : I shall offer my rebuttals and rebuild upon prior contentions as well while offering my closing remarks
R3 Adversary : He shall simply type no round as agreed upon

I wish my contender the best of luck
UnderHill

Pro

I ask the voters to be un-biased in their votes.

The Broncos are first in points scored per game with 41.2

The Broncos are first in yards per game with 458.7

The Broncos are first in passing yards with 353.4 per game

The Broncos quarterback, Peyton Manning, is not only the most decorated football player this season, but also the most decorated overall in the NFL today. With a QB rating of 121.0, he far and away leads the NFL at #1, followed by Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, and Drew Brees all fighting for second.

The NFL also has the best overall receiving group. Each of the starting four each have over 30 receptions.

I await my opponents arguments.
Mikal

Con

Me and my Adversary agreed to the conditions prior to the debate . He believes the Broncos are the best team in Football and this is including professional and college. It is my job to show they are not the best.

While there are good factors about the broncos such as Manning's QB rating that play a factor in them being good, we must look beyond that. Just because a team has a good QB and good receivers, there is far more than a team to that. You have the entire offensive line, the tight ends, the defensive line, special teams, etc that make up an entire team. It takes far more than a great QB for the team to be the best ever. We can see that with Tom Brady.

Alabama, The Crimson Tide

Let us just look at this years record alone for a little bit. The closest match they have had was a 7 point game to Texas A&M. The next closes was the most recent and it was against LSU. They won by 21 points against one of the best defenses in college football. LSU has always been praised for their defense. Just in the past 5 years Alabama has won 54/58 games. Basic math shows us that is around a 93 win ratio. [1] If we tried doing the same thing with the broncos it would not yield nearly the same results. They are 41/32 in the past 5 years [2]. With the broncos that results near a 56 win ratio. 56.16 I think exactly. If I am a bit off on the math you have my apologies, I am doing it in my head and slightly on piece of paper because I am at work and on a lunch break. I also included the extra game the broncos won that wiki has not updated yet. Even if we were to just simply take this year alone, They are 8/1. That is a 83.33 ratio. There is no way that can even come close to Alabama.

Also Alabama has Saban whom is one of the best coaches to ever hit the college scene. He was a professional coach but did not have the control over the team that he desired so came back to college football. With Alabama giving him free reign over their team, he has entirely turned the program around and monopolized the recruiting class. A majority of high school athletes desire to go to Alabama because of how much they win titles, and with the wins comes added hopes of making it to the pros.

Just take a look at the Alabama yardage. they are average near 280 yards a game with nearly 5 yards a play.

Since it is impossible to compare a pro team to a college team individually. We must look at the impact they are having in their respected divisions. Alabama has made more than ripples, they have dominated college football as we know it. Staging to make their 4th run in 5 years for a BCS title. The Broncos have not won a superbowl nor even made it into a Superbowl. They are a great upcoming team and with the addition of Peyton, they are starting to shake the water up a little. They are still a long way away from being considered the best team on earth.

Rebuttals

On QB rating

Peyton does have a 121 rating. This is an amazing feat, but as my adversary said they have elite receivers this year which play a huge part in it. Just that alone is only accounting for the offense the broncos has, and still can not qualify them as the best team ever. The next closes to manning is brees with a 108 [3]. Now lets take a look at career pass ratings, where Aaron Rodgers is dominated manning [4]. At one point I believe Rodgers had spiked at a 120, if not 120 I know 110 and was leading the board. He also had two of the most elite receivers in the NFL at the time. The point being is that the Packers still did nothing that entire year with an amazing record as well. Even last year Rodgers was on top of the QB rating as well, and also still accomplished nothing besides having a good season. A QB rating by itself does not judge the quality or merit of the team in question. It means they have an elite quarterback with possibly a really good offense. A team however is made up of more than solely just the offense. It includes defensive positions such as the line, and tight end and safetys. It includes the special team unit, running backs, and the offensive line. What makes a team the best ever is when all the people in these positions are playing perfectly. Even the broncos this year have dropped way more yardage than what they should have because of their defense screwing up.

On Passing and Yardage per game

This will be short but ties into my previous arguments. That just highlights how well the offense is playing but does not account for the defense and other positions. Take into consideration the game against the colts where they dropped the game. It was because of screw ups with the defense and special teams that cost them that. One singular flop like that can put you out of the playoffs and make you miss the Superbowl. Which is a prime reason why you never see Brady in that much anymore. One player and a offense cannot carry a team all the time. It qualifies them to be an amazing team and possibly one of the best teams, but not the best team ever. At the end of the last year, the Ravens where the best team in the NFL. Considering this is not even including college, but they had the right to say so because the eliminated some of the best teams in the NFL. All because they show up at the playoffs. Their team was all there, and rallied by ray lewis they won that title. When something like this happens with the Broncos then and only then can they be considered to be the best team ever. Even then they will meet opposition from college teams like Alabama who have utterly dominated their sect of football.

Even now there are teams that hold a similar or near the same win loss as the Broncos. While stats make stuff look great, the win is what matters. If you do not come out with a win, one aspect of your team did not show up.

Kansas city - undefeated
Seattle - 9/1
New Orleans - 7/2
New England - 7/2
[5]

Anyone of these teams and even others have the possibility of upsetting Denver as well. The colts are 6/3 and they pulled it out, and like I said one loss can be the factor in someone making it to the superbowl or not.

I would like to thank my adversary for a great debate so far and wish him luck in his next round.

[1] http://www.rolltide.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://espn.go.com...
[4] http://www.pro-football-reference.com...
[5] http://espn.go.com...
UnderHill

Pro

UnderHill forfeited this round.
Mikal

Con

Sadly my adversary has ffed his final round, and has agreed to ff round 3 because of him taking on the BOP prior to the debate.

I would like to thank him for a well thought out debate, and hope we can engage in another debate at some point.
UnderHill

Pro

UnderHill forfeited this round.
Posted by UnderHill 3 years ago
UnderHill
Good luck to you too
Posted by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
NP Glad we got this working finally. Air max said he will remove the other one. Thanks again man :) and good luck
Posted by UnderHill 3 years ago
UnderHill
I'll post my argument tomorrow when I can! Thanks for setting this up.
Vote Placed by yay842 3 years ago
yay842
MikalUnderHillTied
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
MikalUnderHillTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF but a fantastic idea to debate football teams at both the NCAA level and the Collegiate level....