TigerFB21
Danielle

The Denver Broncos will win the Super Bowl this year

Danielle
Started: 11/4/2009 Category: Sports

TigerFB21

Pro

I believe that Denver will win this years Super Bowl, even though it may be early in the season, I will provide you with some statistics.

They currently allow 13.7 ppg on defense which puts them as the 2nd best defense in the NFL and if you take away the last game against baltimore they average 11 ppg which would put them number1

There turnover differential is +6 (5th in the NFL)

On Defense they have only given up 1867 yards which makes them the number 1 ranked defense in the NFL.

Looking at there remaining schedule I can guarantee at least 5 more wins which would put them at an 11 win season

I will now hand it over to my opponent
Danielle

Con

I'll begin by pointing out that other teams in the NFL have a better record than the Broncos; the Saints and the Colts, respectively. Additionally, the Vikings have a better win percentage than the Broncos. What we learn from these statistics is that the Bronco's win ratio is not in favor of them being the best team in the NFL, or even indicative that they are better than other teams. For instance, while it's true that the Broncos have a 7-1 record, let's observe the teams that they have played thus far: The Bengals, The Browns, The Raiders, The Cowboys, The Patriots, The Chargers and the Ravens. Out of the 6 teams they beat, 2 of them are absolutely horrible (The Browns and the Raiders). The other teams are about average. You'll notice that the Broncos haven't faced the best teams in the NFL, which are the ones that hold the highest win percentage that I mentioned, in addition to the Pittsburgh Steelers - the defending champions who beat the formerly undefeated Vikings; a team that so far has a better record than the Broncos.

Additionally, the Broncos aren't dominant in limiting the amount of points allowed per game as my opponent so rightfully pointed out. The Colts hold that title for now. Also, keeping other statistics in mind, the Broncos don't come anywhere close to leading the league in rush yards, pass yards (yards in general), tackles, sacks, etc. Moreover, my opponent suspects that the Broncos will win at least 5 out of the next 9 games, putting the Broncos at an 11 win season. I concur that the Broncos will win 5 or 6 out of the next 9 games. Meanwhile, I suspect the Colts will win at least 6 or 7 out of their next 9 games, putting them at least at a 13 or 14 win season: higher than the Broncos. This is important as the two teams compete for the AFC title.

In conclusion, I suspect that the Broncos will be battling it out with the Colts to even make it to the Super Bowl, and I predict that the Colts will prevail. Supposing the Broncos somehow beat the Colts (we have no reason to believe they would at this juncture), they would have to battle either the Vikings, Steelers or possibly even the Saints once there - and I highly doubt that they can beat any of those teams. The Steelers are reigning champs with an experienced roster including a superb defense and stellar QB; Brett Favre can conceivably win MVP this year and lead his great team to victory; and the Saints have been nearly perfect all season thus far. That said, I'll send this debate back to my opponent for now for a rebuttal. Oh - and don't you mean the Super Bowl NEXT year (2010)? Just kidding :)
TigerFB21

Pro

Well I do agree with your arguments but I will also like to point out that you are a colts fan and I am a broncos fan so of course we think that our teams are going to do better.

Okay so first off let's look at the broncos remaining schedule:
Pit @ Den- I believe that they can win this game because the steelers are way overrated
Den @ Was- Really if you watch football this should be a no brainer
SD @ Den- Denver already beat them once and can do it again because SD is kinda falling
NYG @ Den- Giants looked good at the start of the season but are stumbling now
Den @ KC- KC sucks
Den @ Ind- hmmm...well this is going to stir up arguments between us but I believe I speak for both of us when I say this is going to be a good game and will come down to something in the fourth quarter but in the end I will give this one to Indy
Oak @ Den- Oakland sucks
Den @ Phi- This is the hardest one to figure out because philly is good but it goes week by week. Like they looked good last week but what happened against oakland so in the end I will give this Denver.
KC @ Den- again, KC sucks

So after looking at there remaining schedule I see a 14-2 or 13-3 win season and I do believe that Denver will be playing Indy in the AFC champ. game. But if Denver loses to Indy in the regular season everyone will say that they should beat Denver but, and I believe my opponent will agree, that this is the playoffs and anything can happen.

The first year that pitt won the Super Bowl a few years ago, everyone thought that it would be NE Pitt in the AFC champ. game but denver beat them and stunned the football world.

And also look at the Cowboys in the playoffs i mean wow talk about choke

Looking at the Colts remaining schedule i believe they will lose to the Pats, also Baltimore and Denver will give them good game so the number 1 seed in the AFC (home field advantage) will come down to the Denver Indy game

Got to go so I will hand it over to my opponent
Danielle

Con

First off, to clarify I am a GIANTS fan (and Jets fan) as I'm from NY :P

Now looking at the Broncos schedule, my opponent predicts that they are going to win ALL of their upcoming games. I disagree. As I said, the Broncos are a great team but we have to keep in mind that their success thus far has been playing bad or just average teams. While I agree that they can probably easily beat Washington, KC and Oakland, the other games are definitely not guaranteed wins. I'm betting that against the Giants, Chargers, Steelers, Eagles and Colts that they will lose 2 of those games (most likely to the Steelers and the Colts, but it could be 2 out of any of those 5 games). That means that they'll probably finish out the season with a record of 13-3, and my opponent for the most part agrees.

Similarly, the Colts will have no problem beating their upcoming teams, with the most challenging being the Broncos and the Patriots. I suspect that the Colts will finish with a record of 14-2 at the absolute worst (as they're undefeated right now). It's downright silly to say that Baltimore is going to beat Indy. Not to mention that the Patriots this year, like the Eagles, have been off and on, so it's even reasonable to assume that the Colts might go undefeated or just lose 1 game. The Colts not only have Peyton Manning but also an incredible defense (some say the best in the NFL). So, it's fair to assume that the Colts will finish with a better record than the Broncos.

I disagree that the AFC championship is going to come down to the Broncos and the Colts. I suspect it'll be the Colts and the Steelers. Not only do the Steelers have an excellent team, but they've got experience and are the defending champions (so for my opponent to say that they're "overrated" is really amusing, especially after the Bronco's melt down last year). Again, the Steelers also beat the previously undefeated Vikings -- no easy feat.

Now supposing that the Broncos somehow make it to the Super Bowl over the Colts, Steelers or Patriots (I personally think it'll be the Colts or the Steelers like I said), the Broncos would have to take on most likely either the Vikings, Saints or Eagles (I'm betting Vikings or Saints). So far my opponent has only given his reasoning on why Broncos would even make it to the Super Bowl (no easy feat) but hasn't touched upon how the Broncos could beat the opposing NFC team. Remember that the resolution is that the Broncos will win the Super Bowl. I doubt it :)
TigerFB21

Pro

Very good argument and I'm sorry bout the fave team mix up I was thinking of someone else

Now to get going...

Okay so personally I'm going to go further in depth on the steelers because this is where we seem to have the biggest clash...I believe the steelers are overrated because they aren't just giving us the wow they did last year. This year they seem to just skate with marginal wins and my opponent says how they beat the Vikings...well the vikings are overrated a little bit as well...notice I say a litttle bit...I do believe that Denver will make to the Super Bowl because there defense has such a great chemistry together and also the offense has a great potential to be great...all the sports analysts say that Kyle Orton isn't a good QB but on the contrary I believe he is a solid starting QB not great like peyton or Brett but good...Knowshon Moreno has the makings of a great RB as well and with Corell Buckhalter in there too I believe that we have a solid running game...Now with the receivers...most teams only have 1 or 2 go to reveivers but the broncos have 3 maybe 4...obviously Brandon Marshall is a HUGE threat as seen in the Dallas game and you have Eddie Royal with breakout speed you never know when he's going to return a punt or kick for a TD you also have Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Stokley (man i didn't know we had this many Brandons) and Kenny Mckinley all are solid receivers...I would like to also how great defensive players...You have obviusly Champ Bailey...Brian Dawkins also from the Eagles like Correll...D.J. Williams is a great LB... so a few great playmakers mixed in with a bunch of good players makes for a great team.

Now for the Super Bowl...personnaly I would rather play the vikings that the saints because I just know that we could shut down AP and make Brett have to throw the ball all over the field which would cause mistakes that we could capitalize on but with the Saints they at this point are just dominating and really all they do is throw the ball and that could be a problem with the saint having 3 go to recievers so they could pull of for huge gains but defensively not the greatest so Denver could do the same

My opponent may take the spotlight
Danielle

Con

Danielle forfeited this round.
TigerFB21

Pro

TigerFB21 forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Alright, we both missed a round (my account was banned so I apologize); fortunately this turns out to be a pretty even debate. I'd like to thank Pro for the good conversation :)

I'll begin by attacking my opponent's supposition that the Steelers aren't performing as well this year as they were last year. The Steelers finished the 2008 season with a record of 12-4. So far this year, after being exactly half-way through the season they're 6-2. What does that mean? At worst, they're performing at the same rate they were last season. However, upon looking at the remaining opponents for the 2009 Steelers, we can see that they are the CLEAR favorites for every single upcoming game, meaning they will probably finish the season with a 14-2 record. The only team that could potentially give them second thought (statistically speaking) are the Ravens, and even they're a long shot.

Perhaps the best ammo of all in this regard is the fact that the Steelers spanked our very own Broncos last week, with a total score of 28-10. That's 4 TD's to 1. Clearly I was right in my assessment that they could and would beat the Broncos. So, since the Steelers are defending champions playing at the same rate or better than they did last year, it's fair to say that the Steelers -- who beat the previously undefeated Vikings -- will pose a very substantial threat for the Broncos if/when the Broncos make it to the Play Offs. At this point, we have no reason given the stats, facts and precedent that the Broncos will beat the Steelers.

For the rest of the round, my opponent discusses why the players on the Broncos are great. I've never denied that the Broncos don't have some great players. However none of them are really super stand-out as being among the best in the NFL for their particular position; Champ Bailey is the best player on the team and he plays Corner Back. Kyle Orton doesn't have what it takes to be considered one of the best in the league and odds are he won't lead his team to a Superbowl victory. He couldn't even lead his team to win over the Ravens; another prediction that my opponent was wrong about. We can see that since the start of the debate, the Broncos record has already dropped to 6-2 which puts them at the same level with other teams like the Cowboys, Bengals, Steelers and Patriots. Meanwhile, the Vikings, Saints and Colts still have a better record.

So where are we now? Let's see. With *4* other teams doing JUST AS WELL as the Broncos... and those teams include the Patriots with the great Tom Brady and the defending champions (Steelers) with fantastic QB Big Ben AND a stellar defense... not to mention teams performing *better* than the Broncos including the MVP contender Brett Favre with his Vikings and the undefeated and red-hot Saints as well as the undefeated Colts led by all-star Peyton Manning... well, the Broncos have got a LONG way to go before they can be considered even a top 5 favorite for Superbowl contenders!

I'll end my argument with the latest up to date statistics, standings and rankings. The league leaders in offense are the Saints, Patriots, Cowboys, Colts and Steelers - again, all teams with equal or better records than the Broncos. The defensive leaders are the Giants, Jets, Broncos, Packers and Steelers. As we can see, the Broncos offense is not superb; I blame it on the fact that they don't have at least one KEY player (a household name) on their O-game. Meanwhile, while they're ranked for top defense, so are the Steelers which are present in both. Additionally, the Giants listed as #1 still have Eli Manning; a better QB than the Bronco's Orton (Manning has also shown to be great under pressure).

So, I suspect that in the AFC, teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Bengals and Colts (who are all doing just as well or better) will give the Broncos a run for their money. And who knows - football has a lot of surprises; a team like the Ravens or Jets may show up and surprise you. Either way, there are at LEAST 3 teams who the Broncos will have to work hard to beat, and some of them they've already lost to (that being our reference for how they'd perform against them). Now, if the Broncos even make it to the Superbowl, they'd probably have to beat the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Vikings or Saints... blegh. Everything is against the Broncos in this regard. At this point, we have no reason to believe that the Broncos can/will rise above the challenges. They are viable contenders, sure, but in NO way a sure thing to the point where you could argue that they'll PROBABLY win.

[1] http://www.nfl.com...
Posted by snelld7 7 years ago
snelld7
I bet the saints go and they end up embarrassing the colts....
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Because you had more than 1 account. I was banned for using profanity.
Posted by rayedawg2013 7 years ago
rayedawg2013
This is Tiger Mine got closed too and
I have no idea why so I'm pretty much done with this debate sorry :(
Posted by Lwerd 7 years ago
Lwerd
I'm going to have to forfeit a round because my account got closed >.<
Posted by TigerFB21 7 years ago
TigerFB21
personally really I believe that Denver probably won't make it to the Super Bowl but I believe that they can make it to the AFC championship and will play the Colts
Everyone says the Steelers just because they won the Super Bowl but really be honest just cuz they won the super bowl last year doesn't mean jack squat this year
Broncos 27 Steelers 10
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
I agree. It'll be Steelers or Pats.
Posted by tmhustler 7 years ago
tmhustler
steelers 31 v. broncos 20
Posted by sllewuy 7 years ago
sllewuy
I honestly dont see the broncos or the colts going to the superbowl just by the fact that the Broncos schedule has been so easy and the colts history of screwing up in the playoffs. Im betting on the patriots or the steelers to make it in the AFC just because the steelers defense is enough to save them and the patriots style this yearmatches the kind of team that won 3 superbowls.
Posted by sllewuy 7 years ago
sllewuy
i would have loved to take this debate
Posted by dninja13 7 years ago
dninja13
And by doubt it, i mean i doubt they will win.
Vote Placed by LaSalle 7 years ago
LaSalle
TigerFB21DanielleTied
Vote Placed by dninja13 7 years ago
dninja13
TigerFB21DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Mixer 7 years ago
Mixer
TigerFB21DanielleTied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
TigerFB21DanielleTied
Vote Placed by rayedawg2013 7 years ago
rayedawg2013
TigerFB21DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
TigerFB21DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
TigerFB21DanielleTied