Fjkhsaflkja
ReneRobles

The Department of Education should be abolished

Fjkhsaflkja

Pro

Before the debate I would like to establish the rules:
Round 1 agreement
Round 2 Arguments
Round 3 Defend/Attack
Round 4 Conclusion- No new evidence or argument points can be brought up in round 4
This debate is a cross between Congress and "just pure debating"
I agree to these rules
ReneRobles

Con

Agreed with rules and would love to stress NO NEW ARGUMENTS

-Rene Robles
Fjkhsaflkja

Pro

To the day, our government is over ten trillion dollars in debt and we are adding to this debt every day, wasting millions to a now obsolete and unnecessary program. Which is why, I rise to the affirmative to abolish the Department of Education, because the Department of Education has:

-Violated the tenth amendment to the Constitution along with Article I Section VIII, stating that education belongs to the rights of the states

-It has failed its main goal on regulating school districts to achieve higher test scores even though their budget has quadrupled

-With a ten trillion dollar deficit, the funding from the Department of Education can be used to support other programs that have been cut down to a skeletal staff.

The tenth amendment in the Constitution states that “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” And, in the Constitution, there is not a single word about states being prohibited to regulate their education system, in fact actually stating in Article I Section VIII that Congress does not have the power to legislate education within the states, meaning that the Department of Education is a violation of the Constitution and must be abolished. In 1992, the Supreme Court voted 6-3 in declaring a violation by the Department of Energy in regulating low-level radioactive waste, quoting Justice O’ Conner that “the federal government can encourage but cannot mandate conditions for a federal act.” The Department of Education's function is similar to this; to regulate a program run by the states, which is why the Department of Education should be abolished.

Secondly, on top of being a violation of the Constitution, the Department of Education has failed its main goal of regulating the school districts to achieve higher test scores even though their budget has quadrupled. According to CATO Institute, the Department of Education’s budget started out at 14 billion dollars and has risen to nearly 78 billion for 2011. With this, you would expect at the least, for test scores in school districts to increase. However, on the National Assessment of Educational Progress, reading and mathematics scores only increased one percent for American high school students. This means that the money that we are putting into the Department of Education is not helping their goal to increase test scores, suggesting that our money could be used elsewhere.

Lastly, as I mentioned earlier, the United States is in over ten trillion dollars in debt and if we abolish the Department of Education, we can use that 78 billion dollars to assist other programs that have been drastically cut due to the financial crisis.

In conclusion, we need to affirm the resolution to abolish the Department of Education because it is a violation of the tenth amendment of the Constitution; it has failed its main goal on regulating school districts to achieve higher test scores even though their budget has quadrupled, and its money can be used to fund other departments and programs that have been significantly due to the deficit. Which is why, I urge in the affirmation of this resolution to abolish the Department of Education and return the control of education to the States.

http://www.cato.org...
http://washingtonexaminer.com...
ReneRobles

Con

ReneRobles forfeited this round.
Fjkhsaflkja

Pro

As my opponent has forfeited- I do not know if he is still debating but I will reinstate my three points

The Department of Education –

- Violated the tenth amendment to the Constitution along with Article I Section VIII, stating that education belongs to the rights of the states

- It has failed its main goal on regulating school districts to achieve higher test scores even though their budget has quadrupled

- With a ten trillion dollar deficit, the funding from the Department of Education can be used to support other programs that have been cut down to a skeletal staff.

For evidence please see my round two speech.

ReneRobles

Con

ReneRobles forfeited this round.
Fjkhsaflkja

Pro

Fjkhsaflkja forfeited this round.
ReneRobles

Con

ReneRobles forfeited this round.
Posted by Fjkhsaflkja 6 years ago
Fjkhsaflkja
not really, i just chose this topic because I have a tornament tomorrow and I just wanted to practice.... unfortunately, ReneRobles has not given his stateiment so I don't know if he is still going to debate....
Posted by eltigrey 6 years ago
eltigrey
Wow, Fjkhsaflkja had his argument READY! This looks like its gonna be a great debate (:
Posted by Fjkhsaflkja 6 years ago
Fjkhsaflkja
no new arguements referring to round 4, correct?