Latasha620
Boesball

The Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

Latasha620

Pro

I believe the drinking age should be lowered because people already drink at a young age so just make it legal. It will take the thrill out of breaking the law. So they wont want to disobey because they are not. The reason they do it is because they think it's fun and because they like disrespecting authority.
Boesball

Con

Though I'm pretty neutral on this situation, i accept the challenge of being against lowering the drinking age.

First off, I do agree that lowering the drinking age would take out the "fun" of breaking the law, but if it was lowered, more kids would drink. When more kids drink, that is a bad thing. Many kids would have a beer because it's legal, and that hurts the brain in its development years. Before you are done growing is the worst time to start habits that cause mental disorders like alcohol addiction, and it starts the roots of liver failure (1).

Basically the first reason why this is a bad idea is that though teenage drinking would decrease alchohal crimes, it still would increase the commonness of drinking and increase alcohal disorders.

(1) http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov...
Latasha620

Pro

Allowing 18- to 20-year-olds to drink alcohol in regulated environments with supervision would decrease unsafe drinking activity. Prohibiting this age group from drinking in bars, restaurants, and other licensed locations causes them to drink in unsupervised places such as fraternity houses or house parties where they may be more prone to binge drinking and other unsafe behavior.

Traffic accidents and fatalities are most common among newly-legal drinkers, regardless of the MLDA. In 2009, the 21- to 24-year-old age group had the highest percentage of drivers in fatal crashes with blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) levels of .08 or higher " 35 percent. Any increase in traffic accidents or fatalities in 18- to 20-year-olds would be offset by a decrease for those 21 and older.

MLDA 21 is largely ineffective because the majority of teens continue to consume alcohol. According to the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, underage drinking accounts for 17.5% ($22.5 billion) of consumer spending for alcohol in the United States. In 2006, 72.2% of twelfth graders reported drinking alcohol at some point in their lives.

http://drinkingage.procon.org...
Boesball

Con

Yes i adressed that. I said that the drinking conditions would be better with lower drinking laws, but the amount of drinking would increase due to more people being allowed to do it. That leads to more drinking diseases and drinking problems. I originally addressed your argument, and you didn't counter mine...
Latasha620

Pro

18 is the age of adulthood in the United States, and adults should have the right to make their own decisions about alcohol consumption. Turning 18 entails receiving the rights and responsibilities of adulthood to vote, smoke cigarettes, serve on juries, get married, sign contracts, be prosecuted as adults, and join the military - which includes risking one's life.

Lowering MLDA 21 would be good for the economy. More people would legally be able to drink in bars, restaurants, and other licensed establishments. Revenue would increase for private business owners, and greater amounts of tax revenue would be collected by the government.

http://drinkingage.procon.org...
Boesball

Con

And I get that 18 is adulthood, but one of the main reason that the drinking age is 21 is to make it so that in no situation is drinking legal in grade school. We wouldn't want the situation where we have seniors in high school going to the bar after school and the freshmen would see that as their example. Then they would end up drinking underage.

I thank you this debate, but I wish you would have attempted responding to my points instead of bringing up stuff that doesn't have anything to do with what I said.
Posted by Boesball 3 years ago
Boesball
Exactly talyla
Posted by Tayla 3 years ago
Tayla
If people drink illegally now what makes you think that even younger people will start drinking illegally at an even younger age just to get a 'thrill' of it.