Michael22
Likethetree

The Drug Enforcement Agency should be abolished.

Michael22

Pro

The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) is a useless program that should be abolished. The war on drugs has not, and will not, be won. Since the DEA has been started they have spent over 1 trillion dollars on this "war on drugs." The war on drugs is a complete joke.
Likethetree

Con

Thank you for posting.
I am in firm negation to the resolution: "The Drug Enforcement Agency should be abolished."
I offer the following definitions for clarification during this debate:
Should: used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions.
Abolished: formally put an end to (a system, practice, or institution).
To avoid turning this into a "marijuana (and other illegal drugs) should be legalized debate" I offer the following framework: If the affirmative (pro) can show the most benefits of abolishing the DEA, they should win the round. If I, the negation (con) can show the most harms, or lack of benefits of abolishing the DEA, I should win this round. Moreover, both teams should keep their arguments to the point, without straying from the resolution in order to win the round.
Point One: The DEA is a significant part of the United States economy.
Currently, the DEA employs 11,053 workers. (1) If the Drug Enforcement Agency were abolished, 11,053 jobs would be lost, it would be considered a "mass layoff" by the BLS. (2)This is unnessisary.
Point Two: The DEA is effective in stopping drug problems.
A quote from James White: " It is false that "the fight against drug use" cannot be "won." It can be won. The use of illegal drugs is falling in the USA, and use of cocaine & similar drugs is down. 95% of Americans do not use illegal drugs. So we (the DEA) have been effective." The New York Times provides an excellent example of the DEA's effectiveness. (3) We must look at the DEA as a preventative program,as there is a direct link to substance abuse and suicide.(4) I reserve the right to bring up more points throughout this debate.
I will now go over my opponents case: He said: "The war on drugs has not, and will not, be won." I have proven this wrong in my second point, with a quote from James White. He had no warrant for that statement, therefore, I should win the point. His second contention, "Since the DEA has been started they have spent over 1 trillion dollars on this "war on drugs." A lack of the DEA would result in A) Many lost jobs, and B) a higher suicide rate, as I have proven that there is a direct link to substance abuse and suicide, and have proven that the DEA is successful in preventing these. I have defeated his two points and provided two benefits of the DEA. I urge you to vote in negation today. Thank you.

Citations:
(1) http://www.justice.gov...
(2) http://www.bls.gov...
(3)http://www.nytimes.com...
(4) http://www.psychiatrictimes.com...
Michael22

Pro

Michael22 forfeited this round.
Likethetree

Con

My opponent has clearly forfeited, I hope this will be taken into consideration by the judge(s). I extend my arguments from round 1 and look forward to a 3rd round. Thank you.
Michael22

Pro

Michael22 forfeited this round.
Likethetree

Con

I extend all arguments.
Michael22

Pro

Michael22 forfeited this round.
Likethetree

Con

I extend all arguments.
Michael22

Pro

Michael22 forfeited this round.
Likethetree

Con

I extend all arguments and urge you to vote with me. Thanks, and have a great day.
Posted by retiredat44 9 months ago
retiredat44
I need strong pain relief because of pancreatic disease from chemical exposure in the USAF. The DEA is ruing what quality of life I have left. They make it impossible for me to get adequate pain relief. I hope the DEA rots in hell for the hell they put me and other sick and disabled vets through...