bubbatheclown
MolecularBird06

The Duggars

bubbatheclown

Pro

The Duggar Family, consisting of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar and their many children, are perhaps the most controversial family in America today.
There are a lot of people who talk badly about the Duggars, saying that they "have too many children" and that they're "a bunch of crazy fundamentalists" and "homeschoolers" like that's somehow a bad thing.

Accept this debate as the con if you think negatively of the Duggar family, or if you feel like playing Devil's Advocate. Post your argument on the first round, and keep your language civil.
MolecularBird06

Con

I fell that the Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar had their children for fame and only fame. I think that the kids have a had time, because they share a house with 20 other people. It also can make them feel isolated from other people on the basis that they aren't from a normal family. Also I feel that the children privacy is invaded. Even when the kids move out, people still are following them. For example on Wikipedia they have an article on some of the kids once they left the family. All in all I feel that the Duggars had the children without thinking of what it would be like for the child.
bubbatheclown

Pro

This debate is a defense of the Duggar family.

Contention 1: "I fell that the Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar had their children for fame and only fame."

Rebuttal 1: I find this unlikely. By the time anybody approached them to film "16 Children and Moving In," they had, obviously, 16 children. It's unlikely that they would've known years and years in advance about the show. So why would they have so many kids when they had no idea about their future show?
Also, even if they did, it wouldn't be worth having 16 kids just to have your own TV show. And they haven't become wealthy or anything from the show. Their large house is there because the family needs a lot of living space. It's nothing like a rich couple living in a mansion. Nothing like that at all.

Contention 2: "I think that the kids have a had time, because they share a house with 20 other people."

Rebuttal 2: I'm sure that living in a household with that many siblings is natural to them whenever they've done it their whole life. We could never understand it ourselves, because we don't have 18 siblings. But anyhow, I don't see how it could be harmful to their well-being. Of course, it may be stressful at times.

Contention 3: "It also can make them feel isolated from other people on the basis that they aren't from a normal family."

Rebuttal 3: If they don't have any outside friends, and they do indeed have some outside friends, then they can be friends with themselves. There's nothing necessarily wrong with being best friends with your brother or your sister, and the Duggars would agree.

Contention 4: "Also I feel that the children privacy is invaded."

Rebuttal 4: No. I cannot deny this one. But this can also be a good thing. It can serve as a deterrent against deviant behavior, such as drug usage, "one night stands," internet pornography etc. And I'm sure the Duggars don't mind so much.

Contention 5: "Even when the kids move out, people still are following them."

Rebuttal 5: They're not THAT famous. There aren't paparazzi mobs everywhere they go. Occasionally somebody might ask for an autograph or to speak at some church or a Christian convention, and that's about it.
The amount of attention they get isn't enough to ruin them, though it seemed to ruin Kate Gosselin, and that's a different subject.
But if you're referring to the fact that they'll always be remembered as a "Duggar kid," I'm sure they won't be recognized when they get older and when the show's been off air for ten years.

Contention 6: "All in all I feel that the Duggars had the children without thinking of what it would be like for the child."

Rebuttal 6: Are you implying the children would be better off not being born? Because they seem to be living happy, satisfying lives.

Unless Con has more to say on this subject, I would recommend using the next round to cover the upbringing each Duggar child receives, concerning their conservative Christian heritage and their being raised home schooled.
MolecularBird06

Con

Contention 1:I find this unlikely. By the time anybody approached them to film "16 Children and Moving In," they had, obviously, 16 children. It's unlikely that they would've known years and years in advance about the show. So why would they have so many kids when they had no idea about their future show?
Rebuttal 1: They could have thought about it, and the fact they have a show show that they did want a certain degree of fame.

Contention 2: I'm sure that living in a household with that many siblings is natural to them whenever they've done it their whole life. We could never understand it ourselves, because we don't have 18 siblings. But anyhow, I don't see how it could be harmful to their well-being. Of course, it may be stressful at times.

Rebuttal 2: Stress can be harmful to them and with so many siblings they could invade each other privacy, even they don't mean it.

Contention3: If they don't have any outside friends, and they do indeed have some outside friends, then they can be friends with themselves. There's nothing necessarily wrong with being best friends with your brother or your sister, and the Duggars would agree.

Rebuttal: If they were friends among themselves they wouldn't get a chance to meet new people and they don't have many outside friends because they are home schooled.

Contention 4:No. I cannot deny this one. But this can also be a good thing. It can serve as a deterrent against deviant behavior, such as drug usage, "one night stands," internet pornography etc. And I'm sure the Duggars don't mind so much.

Rebuttal 4: The parents wouldn't mind, but the children could. Do they really want to be followed around there entire life. When certain things happen that they don't want to tell their friends, its put on their show and their friends find out anyway.

Contention 5:They're not THAT famous. There aren't paparazzi mobs everywhere they go. Occasionally somebody might ask for an autograph or to speak at some church or a Christian convention, and that's about it.

Rebuttal 5: Well the kids are famous to have an article on Wikipedia written about them for example there is an article on Josh's family.

Contention 6: Are you implying the children would be better off not being born? Because they seem to be living happy, satisfying lives.

Rebuttal 6: Key word APPEAR we don't know if they are happy about all the publicity that they have.

Also I would like to say that I doubt that they get very good education, because they are home schooled. Why is their mom their teacher? The problem is that she has eighteen kids that are different ages, so instead of taking time to teach each of the kids the material with detail, she has to teach multiple kids and try to cover as much material as possible.
bubbatheclown

Pro

Contention 1: "They could have thought about it, and the fact they have a show show that they did want a certain degree of fame."
Rebuttal 1: If that was their only reason for having kids, nobody in their right mind would consider it worth it. Neither would they. It's not about the fame or the money.

Contention 2: "Stress can be harmful to them and with so many siblings they could invade each other privacy, even they don't mean it."
Rebuttal 2: A little stress isn't bad for your well-being. It clearly hasn't been enough stress to drive any of them bonkers.

Contention 3: "If they were friends among themselves they wouldn't get a chance to meet new people and they don't have many outside friends because they are home schooled."

Rebuttal 3: Au Contraire, they are friends with the Bates family, a family which also consists of 19 kids. And I'm sure they're friends with other families as well.

Contention 4: "The parents wouldn't mind, but the children could. Do they really want to be followed around there entire life. When certain things happen that they don't want to tell their friends, its put on their show and their friends find out anyway."

Rebuttal 4: They won't be followed around their entire lives. When the show comes to a conclusion everyone will forget all about the Duggars. And with their strong conservative Christian upbringing, there's unlikely to be an teen pregnancy or anything like that in the family.

Contention 5: "Well the kids are famous to have an article on Wikipedia written about them for example there is an article on Josh's family."

Rebuttal 5: The kid who did the "Leave Britney Spears Alone" video also has a Wikipedia article, but probably no one would recognize him if they saw him walking down the street.

Contention 6: "Key word APPEAR we don't know if they are happy about all the publicity that they have."

Rebuttal 6: You can't keep pretending if you're under the camera 24/7. If they weren't happy it'd show. And maybe they don't enjoy the publicity, but the show's about over anyway, if it isn't already.

Contention 7: "Also I would like to say that I doubt that they get very good education, because they are home schooled. Why is their mom their teacher? The problem is that she has eighteen kids that are different ages, so instead of taking time to teach each of the kids the material with detail, she has to teach multiple kids and try to cover as much material as possible."

Rebuttal 7: Ah, so now this debate comes down to homeschooling. My intention is not to offend you or insult you, but I was homeschooled and you probably went to public school...and my grammar seems to be better than yours.
I was Home-Schooled, and I can spell just fine. I know about as much about science as the average Joe does. I'm as well-educated as any Public-Schooled person.
You see, public schools and homeschools can have access to the same curriculum. What it boils down to is the way it's used. If the parents tell their homeschooled children to study this this during this day, well, that's what the public school students experience. Not to mention public schools are getting less and less efficient as time goes by. And they have problems like bullying, suicide, students "hooking up," drugs, shootings...you name the problem and public schools have it.
Granted, homeschooling takes a risk. If the parents don't know what they're doing then their children's education will suffer.

But the Duggar parents are probably good enough at schooling their children and making good use of school curriculum. After all, their children are not uneducated hillbillies. Jim Bob Duggar served in the Arkansas House of Representatives and now he's a real estate agent and investor. Stupid people don't become Representatives.
And even without education you can spend the rest of your life flipping burgers and emptying somebody's garbage cans.

I conclude that the Duggar family is better off than many families in America today. Of course, it's okay to shudder at the thought of having 18 siblings. I know I would.
MolecularBird06

Con

Contention 1:If that was their only reason for having kids, nobody in their right mind would consider it worth it. Neither would they. It's not about the fame or the money.

Rebuttal 1: If they didn't want fame, then they wouldn't have a blog about them. They also would have said no to a T.V show.

Contention 2: A little stress isn't bad for your well-being. It clearly hasn't been enough stress to drive any of them bonkers.

Rebuttal 2: You didn't refute my point about privacy.

Contention 3: Au Contraire, they are friends with the Bates family, a family which also consists of 19 kids. And I'm sure they're friends with other families as well.

Rebuttal 3: True, but because you know this doesn't this show privacy issues. Also probably the Duggar kids are only friends with one or two of the Bates family kids, that doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Contention 4: They won't be followed around their entire lives. When the show comes to a conclusion everyone will forget all about the Duggars. And with their strong conservative Christian upbringing, there's unlikely to be an teen pregnancy or anything like that in the family.

Rebuttal 4: They won't be forgotten for a while, when people hate things they have a tendency not to disappear, and many people hate the family, which could harm the children.

Contention 5: The kid who did the "Leave Britney Spears Alone" video also has a Wikipedia article, but probably no one would recognize him if they saw him walking down the street.

Rebuttal 5: First of all the person who did the "Leave Britney Spears Alone" video is a man, this makes me doubt your sources. Also to have a short article on wikipidea about you have to be known by thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people.

Contention 6: You can't keep pretending if you're under the camera 24/7. If they weren't happy it'd show. And maybe they don't enjoy the publicity, but the show's about over anyway, if it isn't already.

Rebuttal 6: There fame isn't though. Like I said earlier, hated things tend to keep thier fame.

Contention 7: Ah, so now this debate comes down to homeschooling. My intention is not to offend you or insult you, but I was homeschooled and you probably went to public school...and my grammar seems to be better than yours.

Contention: You did not refute my point about there mother having to teach so many different things to so many children. While she is trying to teach calculus to one she might be trying to teach the alphabet to another. How about foreign languages and drama, I doubt they get that option. Home Schooling might work for families with one or two kids, but I doubt it works for a family with so many children. Also their mother teaches them no their father. Some smart people and marry stupid ones. Your spelling isn't better than mine though. For your information home schooled has a space. Also you are making generic statements about public schools with no proof. Not all public schools have drugs, the kids get the drugs of campus, not at schools, and are you telling me that someone can easily walk into a public schools and shoot everyone there, but not walk into the Druggar's house and shoot them? Also flipping burgers isn't a good way to live.
Posted by Abstinian 3 years ago
Abstinian
Con obviously knows nothing about the Duggers, and hasn't watched any of their shows.
Posted by Abstinian 3 years ago
Abstinian
They don't have a T.V. show to get fame, they have it to show how God has influenced their life, and to help others not so that they could be famous.

(p.s home schooling isn't so bad, Thomas Edison was home schooled.)
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
To all DDO Users:
I have created a 2020 Mock Presidential Election, located in the Debate.org forum. If you wish to participate as a candidate, sign up. If you do not wish to participate, feel free to watch and vote anyway.
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
My source is, by the way, Wikipedia. And unless they're talking about political and religious subjects on which they are clearly biased, they're quite accurate and truthful.
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
I invite everyone who's watching this debate to take a look at my forum topic "Luther" in the arts section. It's a novel that I'm writing.
Don't worry, the actual book is not contained on that forum. That would be a ridiculous amount of posts.
Posted by MolecularBird06 3 years ago
MolecularBird06
As the Devil's Advocate+, i don't really have anything against them.
Posted by bubbatheclown 3 years ago
bubbatheclown
Do you accept the position of con in this debate as an opponent to the Duggars or as Devil's Advocate?