Ikkemb
JRRS

The Dutch Royal Family should step down

Ikkemb

Pro

I find that King Willem-Alexander and his family should make room for a president. I have several points to prove that I am right.

Money is my main argument. The King is an incredibly expensive Institution, due to the financial crisis in the Euro zone (thanks for that, Mediterranean...) the Dutch government is rather poor, so they ask the people to pay more taxes, they spend less, you name it, and that's bad, both of it, first, it is always a stupid idea to make the consumer poorer, if nobody buys stuff, nobody sells stuff. Then the non-spending policy, the only way a government could help in a crisis, is to inject the economy with money, okay, they will be a bit poorer for a while, but when the economy starts growing again, they'll earn it back in no time. If we'd throw out the Royals, the state would save a huge amount of money.
JRRS

Con

I"ll accept your challenge

First of all, monarchies are cheaper than republics. Just compare two countries like Portugal and Spain. Although Spain is a lot bigger than Portugal the costs of the monarchy are way lower than the Portuguese President. And a non-elected head of State is also an advantage, as there is no needs to fund ex-presidents, as it occurs in most republics.

And let me remind that government spending and the welfare state generated this crisis. The monarchy supported the end of the welfare state knowing that it will be better for the country. If it was an elected president and from a left-wing party the Dutch would suffer much more with the crisis.

The royals also help to stimulate the economy only by being royals. Imagine the money that was generated from tourism for the coronation of king William Alexander. Or products made with the royals face. The monarchy's popularity helps stimulating the economy much more than a president's.
Posted by JRRS 3 years ago
JRRS
lkkemb(by the way, it's with an i or a L?), I'd like very much to discuss this topic, if you're willing to.
Posted by Ikkemb 3 years ago
Ikkemb
Not at all! democracy is better than monarchy, and it is a great loss that the first modern republic, the Netherlands, was made into a monarchy. shameful!
Posted by JRRS 3 years ago
JRRS
But you, lkkemb, are wrong anyway.
Posted by Ikkemb 3 years ago
Ikkemb
I would like to state that what JRRS said about government spending, that was in the USA, their crisis flew over to Europe, it was not Dutch government spending.
Posted by Ikkemb 3 years ago
Ikkemb
@PureEnergy Well, the Royal family is already being cut down on a little, as is the old Belgian King not, he keeps complaining that he finds that he does not get enough millions to heat one of his palaces (poor guy). I think that the King should just leave, no extras, according to 'Quote' (the Dutch version of what Forbes is worldwide and in the US) they have around two billion, that's enough to have a very, very nice life, so let's give them that and get them off the stage.
Posted by PureEnergy 3 years ago
PureEnergy
Even the idea of public tax money going to support a "royal family" is disturbing to me. This is the one of the reasons why the United States was formed. How do the people of your country put up with this? Most of the world is in a major depression while royal families are living lavishly. Public tax money should be spent on the public. If your royal families had any compassion at all they would refuse the money and give it back to the people. I'm sure they already have enough money to live very comfortably for the rest of their lives.