henrywatson
makea0824

The EU is better than the US.

Started: 1/16/2015 Category: Places-Travel

henrywatson

Pro

First round is acceptance only.

This house believes that the EU (European Union/Europe) is better than the US (United States/America).
The reason I chose to compare these two is because the EU and the US are more similar in economic productivity, population, legislative procedures, etc.

I shall be proposing the motion, and I look forward to an interesting debate. :)
makea0824

Con

This is My first debate clicked on it on by accident, sorry if I'm a terrible Con

I live in the US. And I'M just think it's better than EU
Sure. Europe is older than the US. But I think this country has a chance of winning. I don't want to insult anybody in this arguement. The US has a good economical system too. So maybe the countries are still pretty good and in the same leage.
I've never been to EU so I've never experienced it. So I've to stick with my country. The US has won many wars. Survived many attacks and I bet EU has too. But considering that Our country is still considered young that's a lot to go through. For a young country don't ya think? We weren't the first people to go to the moon. But no the last!

I probaly failed so sorry US
henrywatson

Pro

I shall start by rebutting your arguments. Firstly, the US has indeed been involved in many conflicts and quite a few of those conflicts have been successful. However, many were not. The Vietnam war was a total shambles. The US got involved in a civil war on the other side of the world, supporting one party simply because it didn't like communism. The US lost this war, and it withdrew all of its troops from Indochina. Secondly, claiming that the US is 'younger' and therefore implying that it is less experienced makes little sense: it's like arguing that a fifteen year old simply cannot be better at maths than a fifty year old simply because the latter is older and has more experience. Thirdly, you say that the US has survived many attacks but for the past 250 years, the US mainland has only been attacked thirteen times; this list even includes things like terrorist attacks such as 9/11. And lastly, the EU's economy is actually considerably larger than that of the US.

Now I shall move onto my main points for this round: the EU is better than the US because of culture and language, gun laws, and healthcare.

CULTURE AND LANGUAGE
The EU is made up of 28 European member states. Each country has its own culture and " for the most part " its own language. Taking a road trip across Europe will introduce you to a plethora of different customs and traditions, ancient buildings, and a rich history. In the US, everything is very 'samey. There's no history, there's one language (maybe two in some areas), and there's no fascinating culture. There's barely anything interesting to see, your two greatest cities, New York and San Fransisco, are concrete blocks stuck in the ground with a chaotic orchestra of lights. European cities have strict regulations to stop similar things happening. Even in London, there are strict planning regulations which prohibit any new building from obscuring St Paul's Cathedral from view " this is Europe, protecting its heritage, its culture, and its history.

GUN LAWS
In the US, everyone has the right to own a gun. Europeans simply cannot believe this. Every year, the US experiences school shootings, cinema shootings, shot police officers. I cannot imagine this stuff ever happening in Europe. In fact, since the start of the 21st Century, only five British police officers have been shot dead. In the US, 70 police officers were shot dead in 2011 ALONE (Source: The Mail). Even when you scale up the population of the UK, the number is half as many over 15 years as opposed to this single year in the US. The general thought over here is simply: when is America going to wake up and realise that the right to life is far more important than the right to bear arms.

HEALTHCARE
With the exceptions of Poland, Latvia, and Lithuania, all EU countries offer its citizens free healthcare at the point of delivery. No matter who you are or how much money you have, you will always be helped. In the US, Obama had a unique opportunity to finally push the US towards getting universal healthcare. Instead, he decided to make it compulsory for all Americans to have health insurance. What does this achieve? Absolutely nothing. The rich get the best health insurance they can, the poor get very basic cover. It's an unfair and stupid system. In Europe, everyone is treated equally in all our national health systems and discrimination based on wealth is strictly forbidden.
Europe is always there for its people. The US abandons the needy.
makea0824

Con

makea0824 forfeited this round.
henrywatson

Pro

Christ it's bloody impossible to find someone who won't forfeit on here!
makea0824

Con

makea0824 forfeited this round.
henrywatson

Pro

henrywatson forfeited this round.
makea0824

Con

makea0824 forfeited this round.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
Round 3, Pro states "Christ it's bloody impossible to find someone who won't forfeit on here!", I fully agree. If you need another example (of a user), go to "talonflamestar".