Mrihearvoices
DeFunkd

The Eagles are the greatest American rock band to this date.

DeFunkd
Started: 7/17/2012 Category: Arts

Mrihearvoices

Pro

We will be arguing if the Eagles are the greatest American rock band to this date.
By the Eagles, I am referring to the musical group with Glenn Frey and Don Henley.
We can discuss what defines the "greatest" during the debate.

R1 - Acceptance
R2 & R3 - Clash
R4 - Closing Arguments

May the best win!
Please note that you will be accepting the role as CON. I've had too many mix ups in the past few days.
DeFunkd

Con

I accept your challenge. I would like to begin by stating the definition of greatest by either being the most skillful or most popular (As evident by total sales) against all other American rock bands. (For this scenario, I feel that Pop music should not be included in the definition for rock music. Rock and Roll, Heavy Metal, Alternative Rock, Soft Rock, Rock Ballards etc. should be included.) If the opposition disagrees, I would ask the opposition to state alternate definitions.
Mrihearvoices

Pro

I would also like to include Country Rock as a subcategory. Eagles are categorized as Soft Rock/Country Rock. Let's begin!

I believe the Eagles are the greatest American rock group to date. Here is my reasoning.
The album "Their Greatest Hits" is the 2nd best selling album of all time, only behind "Thriller".
http://www.riaa.com...

If you look at the RIAA list of top selling artists, Eagles ranks #5 overall, #3 in bands, and #1 in American bands.
http://www.riaa.com...

I thank my opponent for accepting and look forward to his response.
DeFunkd

Con

I respect that the most sales of any American album has gone to the Eagles, however, a band cannot be judged on a single album. That would be like saying that Australia is the best international soccer team because it had the largest victory in the history of the international sport. In terms of consistency, Aerosmith has had 25 Gold, 18 Platinum, and 12 Multi-platinum records. The Eagles Have only 19 Gold, 16 Platinum, and 12 Multi-Platinum records.

Clearly, the Eagles can't match Aerosmith, or even Kiss. Additionally, I reserve the right to decimate the Eagles in terms of musical capabilities. (Inability to keep in time, etc.)

http://www.riaa.com...#

http://www.riaa.com...#
Mrihearvoices

Pro

I understand you are trying to pin Eagles as a sort of "one hit wonder" with that album that was #1. However, if you'll look closely, you'll see this is not true. The album we're talking about is "Greatest Hits". So where do Aerosmith and Kiss rank? Well, Kiss doesn't even make the list of Top 100 Albums. Aerosmith's best selling album was "Aerosmith's Greatest Hits" which reached Level 11. For reference, Eagles had "Eagles/Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" as Level 29, "Hotel California" as Level 16, and "Eagles Greatest Hits Volume II" as Level 11, all better selling than Aerosmith's Greatest Hits album.

Also, your links just go to the RIAA search page and don't provide any statistics. You may want to fix that for the next round.
I look forward to my opponents response.
DeFunkd

Con

Right, apologies for the links not working. I am uncertain how that occurred. Nonetheless, I will continue. Since this debate has obviously left the skill side, that I continue to elude to in my arguments, behind, I will question my oppositions certainty of the Eagles' skill. Additionally, my opposition has not stated sales outside of the US. For example, the Eagles experienced a very small amount of off-shore success. However, Aerosmith had no. 1 records around the world. In fact, many people regard Aerosmith as the "single-handed icon of American rock" (Jay Leno, 2002). Moreover, the total of global sales of Aerosmith top 150,000,000. The Eagles hit only 120M. The RIAA just gives details on US sales.
http://en.wikipedia.org... (Unfortunately, Wikipedia was the only known source to give a comprehensive list of all groups and their sales, (of artists with 50M sales and more) world-wide.)
Mrihearvoices

Pro

You have not brought up the skill arguments in Rounds 2 or 3, so it'd be pretty cheap if you slipped it in the last round so that I couldn't respond. Round 4 shall be the closing arguments as I stated earlier. Anyways, Aerosmith only won 4 Grammys compared to Eagles winning 6. Your comparison of 150M to 120M is not apples to apples. Aerosmith has released 15 studio albums, Eagles have released 7. So lets compare them side to side.

On average, Aerosmith has sold an average of 10M/album, while Eagles have sold an average of over 17M/album. As you can see, Eagles dominate worldwide as well.

As far as the Jay Leno quote, that's just an opinion. People have varying opinions on things. For instance a Georgia newspaper did a reader's poll and found that Eagles were voted the greatest American rock band.
http://onlineathens.com...

Thanks to my opponent for a great debate, and vote for Pro!
DeFunkd

Con

My closing remarks will be short, as there is not much left to say. All I have left to state, is that if bands were based solely upon mean sales, then one-hit wonders would be the best bands. Rather, in music, like real estate, it is better to compare medians. And since Aerosmith has had more records with higher sales; those of the Eagles are spread thinly over their albums, the median suggests that the Eagles are not America's greatest rock band.
Moreover, wouldn't a band that has released more hits be a better band? Just like U2 are a better band than Coldplay, even though Coldplay's sales are approaching those of U2.

Thanks to my opponent for their efforts, they've been a great opposition.
Posted by Mrihearvoices 4 years ago
Mrihearvoices
I only got one actual vote and they weren't specific at all. You're too late anyways...
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
How is that a votebomb?
Posted by Mrihearvoices 4 years ago
Mrihearvoices
Some people shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Posted by Mrihearvoices 4 years ago
Mrihearvoices
OK, but that's what we'll discuss in the debate.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
There is no such thing as "the best rock band."
Posted by airmax1227 4 years ago
airmax1227
The Dude disagrees
Vote Placed by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
MrihearvoicesDeFunkdTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden of proof. Con dealt with Pro's arguments adequately.
Vote Placed by SuburbiaSurvivor 4 years ago
SuburbiaSurvivor
MrihearvoicesDeFunkdTied
Reasons for voting decision: Who are the eagles?