cooliobear
SilverishGoldNova

The Earth Is indeed a sphere

cooliobear has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

cooliobear

Pro

Hello.
I've joined this sight after seeing a couple debates, and yours in particular caught my eye. I hope you can share your views with me on how you think the world is flat. I would be interested in arguing otherwise.
SilverishGoldNova

Con

Hello, I am glad to see you're interested in the true shape of the Earth: The Flat Earth. Can we agree to this round by round structure?

Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Counter-rebuttals
cooliobear

Pro

Ah, sure.

I would first like to ask, how could you explain, and Im sure youve been asked this, but what about Eclipses? And, do you believe in orbit? If you do, are other planets flat as well such as the sun and/ or mars, jupiter, etc? How could that be possible, if you even believe so?

I would like to ask also if you beleive that Earth has a core/ gravitational pull or point. If so, where? Im troubling to grasp on how your idea of our earth could be flat. These are some simple points, but Im sure its meaningful.
SilverishGoldNova

Con

Since you're new here to this subject, I've decided I'll go a bit easier on you. I will answer both of your questions in the next round.

Argument 1. No curvature

We are widely told we can see curvature at 35,000 feet. However, there are a number of images showing that this is not the case.

80K Feet (15.15 Miles): https://i.imgur.com...

121K Feet (22.91 Miles) and 317K Feet (60.03 Miles): https://photos.google.com...

Argument 2. The Chicago Skyline

https://www.youtube.com...

It is one of the most compelling arguments that convinced me into a flat Earth.

According to the globe model, this should be impossible and Chicago should instead disappear over the horizon but this is not the case. The common explanation is that this is just a mirage, but if you have actually seen a mirage you will know this is not true.

https://gyazo.com...

Argument 3. Arctic midnight sun.

(This argument is credit to Eric Dubay)

The "Midnight Sun" is an Arctic phenomenon occurring annually during the summer solstice where for several days straight an observer significantly far enough north can watch the Sun traveling circles over-head, rising and falling in the sky throughout the day, but never fully setting for upwards of 72+ hours! If the Earth were actually a spinning globe revolving around the Sun, the only place such a phenomenon as the Midnight Sun could be observed would be at the poles. Any other vantage point from 89 degrees latitude downwards could never, regardless of any tilt or inclination, see the Sun for 24 hours straight. To see the Sun for an entire revolution on a spinning globe at a point other than the poles, you would have to be looking through miles and miles of land and sea for part of the revolution!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com... - Here is a gallery of the phenomenon.
cooliobear

Pro

To Address your Photo Argument:

I'm sure this is unprofessional, but when using Google as a source it said that you needed an 50,000 aptitude, not 35,000, which is a somewhat big difference. To explain the photos however, I cannot access the first one. I can see the second example, though. I have seen you're other debates, claiming that NASA admitted to fake photos, so I assume that you believe these aren't, and are the real deal.

I used a level, the ruler looking tool with three spaces inside used to tell if something is straight, on each photo after copying it digitally onto screen in my home office. I went to the lowest looking point, and placed the level so that it was completely straight and in no way crooked. The photo, however hard to see with the human eye, is indeed curved. This doesn't go for the second photo in that set, seeing as how its too blurry to tell when the starting point of the line begins, but I can only assume that it applies to that photo as well.

To Address The Chicago Skyline Argument:

I can only conclude the video that I was lead to is incorrect. I'm sure that whoever made the video didn't place the camera themselves, and if anything got it from another person in "The Flat Earth Society" as I had been lead to believe is what people who have the some beliefs as you are labeled into. For all I know, it could have been that he added the Google map thing in the beginning as an effect to further convince the audience. Also, I'm sure that if you looked into it you'd be able to trace this all the way back to some stock photo site.

To Address your Arctic Midnight Sun:

Its proved that the sun has a possibility of not setting in the arctic. I don't exactly understand your point here. Sorry.
SilverishGoldNova

Con

We both agreed that in this round, I would answer my opponents questions.

My opponents arguments

"Ah, sure.

I would like to ask also if you beleive that Earth has a core/ gravitational pull or point. If so, where? Im troubling to grasp on how your idea of our earth could be flat. These are some simple points, but Im sure its meaningful."

Answers

1. Eclipses explained.

While it might seem like a strange concept at first, many flat Earthers believe eclipses to be caused an object Rahu (originating from Hindu Mythology) instead of the Earth's shadow [1].

2. Flat Planets

Depends on what you view it as. Many flat Earthers (again) believe that there is a dome encasing the entire Earth. This can be confirmed and verified in a number of ways [2]. Just hope you don't mind watching a long video.

How does this explain flat planets you ask? Well, many flat Earthers also believe that the stars are in the firmament located on the dome. And planets. and galaxies [3].

3. Gravity

Gravity is a theory, created to support the globe Earth assumption. There is no definent proof that gravity is the reason things go up and down. I personally believe that objects fall because they are more dense than the air, and objects rise because they are less dense. [4].

1. https://tinyurl.com...
2. https://www.youtube.com...
3. youtube.com/watch?v=6deQXN6sPeM
4. youtube.com/watch?v=-V-ZfRXReKM
Posted by SilverishGoldNova 1 month ago
SilverishGoldNova
I'm in like 150000 other debates right now. Also, I decided since you're new to this subject, I'd go a bit easier on you.