FlatEarthSociety
Nathaniel.Braswell

The Earth is Flat

Nathaniel.Braswell

FlatEarthSociety

Pro

Hi I'm new to this site. I have seen a few debates already and I just want to give this a try.
Round 1 will be for acceptance. Round 2 we propose which model of the earth we will like to defend. Round 3 we argue why ours is better. Round 4 we defend our position. Round 5 is whatever we would like to do. Thanks :>
Nathaniel.Braswell

Con

I accept, as long as we agree that since you have taken the Pro stance, your position has been predetermined: you will be defending a flat earth.

Thanks.
FlatEarthSociety

Pro

Obviously I'm not being serious, I just want to see how far I can go with defending the flat earth model.

Good luck and have fun :D
Nathaniel.Braswell

Con

I will be defending the round earth model that has now been uncontested by scientists and geologists for hundreds of years. The model is demonstrated below with the links given below

https://www.google.com...

https://www.google.com...

Thanks!
FlatEarthSociety

Pro

My first problem with a round earth would be the speed of clouds. Near the equator, you should see clouds moving at crazy fast speeds since the earth is rotating underneath to make the appearance of day and night. As an extension to this argument, Why doesn't a plane traveling from the north pole to the equator have to travel in a vector diagonal to the point he wants to reach, pointing against the spin of the earth? My final problem would be that the curvature of the earth is not evident to the human eye, despite the distances we can see. It isn't evident even in a plane. With all of this in mind, the round earth is not a viable theory.

Please look at these pictures: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com...

I look forward to your arguments against the flat earth :) I honestly can't come up with anymore than this. :P
Nathaniel.Braswell

Con

Nathaniel.Braswell forfeited this round.
FlatEarthSociety

Pro

Does this mean I won? :>
Nathaniel.Braswell

Con

I apologize for my forfeit.

Forfeiture means you receive the conduct point at the end of the debate.

Because neither of us presented arguments for round 3, I will take this opportunity to defend the round earth model. Here are just a few reasons.

1. Airplanes have flown around the entire world MANY times proving that the world has to be round otherwise there would be no way to get around the globe.

2. A plethora of pictures have been taken from outer space by satellites such as the hubble. http://www.hdwallpapersinn.com...

These pictures are photographs snapped by Hubble, and they all clearly show that the earth is round.

3. If the earth was flat, the moon would be gone. Moons can only orbit circular objects.

4. If the earth was flat, there would be no such thing as a solar or lunar eclipse. Since eclipses do exist, we know that the earth is round.

5. If you look at a ship in the distance, it will appear that the ship is actually emerging from the sea. This is because of the curvature of the earth.

-His Case-

Clouds are a part of the atmosphere. The atmosphere is curved with the earth, and is completely surrounding the earth. Likewise, clouds are curved around the earth, with some clouds lower than others. However, because clouds are wrapped around the earth, they are all moving at AROUND the same speed. (some clouds move faster because they formed lower in the sky)

The answer is simple: The earth's rotation does not add anything to its momentum.

This isn't true. With the example I supplied of the ship, you can actually see that the earth is round. Because the earth is so big, short distances are deceiving; it all looks relatively flat. As soon as you look at longer distances, some level of curvature is detectable.
FlatEarthSociety

Pro

"1. Airplanes have flown around the entire world MANY times proving that the world has to be round otherwise there would be no way to get around the globe.

2. A plethora of pictures have been taken from outer space by satellites such as the hubble. http://www.hdwallpapersinn.com......

5. If you look at a ship in the distance, it will appear that the ship is actually emerging from the sea. This is because of the curvature of the earth."

I do believe these are intrusive arguments against the flat earth model. We agreed not to make arguments in that round. Therefore, voters please ignore these points. Most were asserted without any evidence, and therefore can be dismissed without any evidence.

"Clouds are a part of the atmosphere. The atmosphere is curved with the earth, and is completely surrounding the earth. Likewise, clouds are curved around the earth, with some clouds lower than others. However, because clouds are wrapped around the earth, they are all moving at AROUND the same speed. (some clouds move faster because they formed lower in the sky)

This isn't true. With the example I supplied of the ship, you can actually see that the earth is round. Because the earth is so big, short distances are deceiving; it all looks relatively flat. As soon as you look at longer distances, some level of curvature is detectable."

One of my valid points still remains. If a plane wants to travel from the North Pole to some point on the equator, why doesn't it need to travel in a vector pointing against the rotation of the earth? That is all. Please vote Pro for conduct (due to con's forfeit) and for better arguments, keep in mind that he didn't follow the debate structure. Thank you :)
Nathaniel.Braswell

Con

Defending your position is ambiguous. Presenting arguments is a way of defending your position.

All of my arguments were dropped, both the constructive arguments I made and rebuttals. The question that still remains I explicitly offered an answer for: The earth's rotation does not add anything to its momentum.

Because of dropped arguments vote Con.
Posted by FlatEarthSociety 1 year ago
FlatEarthSociety
What would that be :>
Posted by dane111222333 1 year ago
dane111222333
flat earth I would like to have a debate with you.
Posted by FlatEarthSociety 1 year ago
FlatEarthSociety
wow lol. I always thought the people from the Flat Earth Society were just joking around. Maybe a few actually believe it XD
Posted by Chaosism 1 year ago
Chaosism
Scary stuff, indeed. Apparently, there are people who also believe that the moon is a hologram, too (check YouTube).

Also, 1in 4 Americans thinks the sun orbits the Earth. (http://time.com...)
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
Thank goodness. There are some people on this sight who do think this, which makes me scared. I'm glad this is just for fun.
Posted by FlatEarthSociety 1 year ago
FlatEarthSociety
That i shall... Flat Earth RULES!!
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
mostlogical
Has anyone ever won a similar debate?
Posted by dane111222333 1 year ago
dane111222333
No point of debating. But try your best flat flatearth!!!
Vote Placed by Envisage 1 year ago
Envisage
FlatEarthSocietyNathaniel.BraswellTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for FF. I do have to dismiss all of Con's arguments, however he sufficiently refuted Pro's arguments (the fact that the Earth doesn't add momentum to clouds/planes) to ensure that he fails his burden of proof. Because Pro is the affirmative, it follows that Con wins by negation.