creationtruth
a34070

The Earth is Flat

creationtruth has forfeited round #2.

creationtruth

Con

Preface

It has been claimed that many Christians in the past taught that the Earth was a flat disc as opposed to a sphere. While it fails me to find the evidence for such an accusation, it should be noted that scripture in no way necessitates a flat Earth and is indeed in much better harmony with a spherical, heliocentric Earth.

Recently I have come across many people on the internet, Christian and non-Christian alike, who maintain that the Earth is indeed flat and that all the supposed evidence of a spherical Earth is either faked, misinterpreted, or non-existent. I find this to be most troubling as such a trend signifies a moving away from rational, scientific and evidential thought to sensational, dubious, and conspiratorial conjecture.

In my opinion, the continued acceptance of Darwinian evolution and the "big bang" in spite of mounting evidence to the contrary has opened the door for a new generation of people who base their ideas of the world around them more often on speculative hypotheses despite having a plethora of scientific evidences at their fingertips via the internet.

Pro will be arguing for the Flat Earth-Geocentric (FEG) Model over the Spherical Earth-Heliocentric model as the best supported scientific theory.

Con will be arguing for the Spherical Earth-Heliocentric (SEH) Model over the Flat Earth-Geocentric Model as the best supported scientific theory.

Definitions for The Debate

FEG Model - A model where the sun and moon revolve around a planer disc-shaped Earth and where some force other than gravity dictates atomic motion.

SEH Model - A model where the Earth revolves around the sun and the moon around a spherical Earth and where the forces of gravity dictate atomic motion.

Scientific Theory - A greatly substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and has been repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

Rules for The Debate

Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - Opening Arguments
Round 3 - Rebuttals (No New Arguments)
Round 4 - Defense of Arguments (No New Rebuttals or Arguments)
Round 5 - Concluding Remarks (No New Rebuttals or Arguments)

*No Logical Fallacies
*Only Science Arguments
*No philosophical Arguments

***Acceptance of the debate entails the acceptance of the given definitions for the debate and adherence to the given rules of the debate.
a34070

Pro

i think that the earth is flat and is a trapezoid because
there is no proof of earth being spherical
only footage taken with a fish eye lens that creates curviture
Posted by creationtruth 8 months ago
creationtruth
Edlvsjd - I will send you the debate challenge on Monday.
Posted by Edlvsjd 8 months ago
Edlvsjd
I'll take this
Posted by creationtruth 9 months ago
creationtruth
Apologies, I ran out of time as I was typing my argument as I waited till the last minute. I can reinstate the debate if you wish.
Posted by TheBenC 9 months ago
TheBenC
I want badly to report this as trolling. The entire flat Earth thing is an attempt to troll people. This is no different than meninism. (look it up)
Posted by Nivek 9 months ago
Nivek
Good introduction.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 9 months ago
PowerPikachu21
A Round Earth is a truism. While I have seen arguments made for a Flat Earth, each one has difficulty taking hits from rebuttals.
Posted by vi_spex 9 months ago
vi_spex
you believe in talking snakes as well
Posted by Mharman 9 months ago
Mharman
I'm Christian, and I believe God created the earth to be round.