Olivia-Mills
BradK

The Earth is a mess and needs volunteers

Olivia-Mills

Pro

Bismiallah ar rahman ar rahim
The Earth is in a mess and needs volunteers.
Meaning, if going green is really taken seriously, we need to volunteer ourselves to cut down on our consumption and materialism, meaning, cutting down on rushing to get the latest gadgets, the biggest screens and getting items we dont need.
further meaning, taking up gardening and or farming as our new past time.
BradK

Con

Hi, I will take you up on this challenge.

The earth is not a mess and does not need volunteers.

Since this is our planet we can do with it as we see fit. If we do not think it is a mess, there is no need to clean it up. In fact this is the mindset we have when we mass produce disposable products. Until we can measure and confirm that we are in fact polluting the planet or harming it in a way that will also harm us, then we do not need to react.

Volunteers are not the best at widespread impact. Independent volunteer activism is not as powerful as a large oil corporation for example, that has much more economic power than any volunteer group. Large corporations would be better suited to large scale activism than volunteers ever would be.
Olivia-Mills

Pro

Olivia-Mills forfeited this round.
BradK

Con

Well since you have forfeited this round, I'll assume everything I said in the previous round is valid as it hasn't been countered.

Since the earth is not a mess, we don't need volunteers to clean it up; it's already clean by the human standard. You can't clean up a non-mess.

I should add a second point: volunteering to cut down on our consumerist mentality is bad for the economy. Having a demand for the newest and greatest technology is the incentive that drives the scientists and engineers to invent it. If people decided that they didn't want faster phones and more impressive technologies, then there would be less incentive to drive our technology forward.
Olivia-Mills

Pro

Olivia-Mills forfeited this round.
BradK

Con

Well since you have forfeited the last round you have given me an echo chamber and it hasn't really been much of a debate. I'll just build on what I have been saying before then.

Since I've argued that the earth is not a mess, and within this "debate" I've done so successfully as my argument hasn't been countered, your original argument is wrong.

And with less incentive to drive our technology forward, we are therefore less incentivized to come up with technology that is more efficient, less polluting and cheaper than our current technology. So there goes your other point about "volunteering ourselves to care less about technology".

And no matter how weak or strong my arguments are, they haven't been countered. I win by default.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
Global warming was proven false.
Posted by edibleshrapnel 3 years ago
edibleshrapnel
Yeah, the earth is a pretty big mess. Fuel shortages, global warming, nuclear stockpiles, overpopulation.