Zaephou
humperdink

The Earth is spherical and the Flat Earth hypothesis is false

humperdink has forfeited round #3.

Zaephou

Pro

It is a widely accepted fact that the Earth, and all planetary objects are spherical (even though they may not be perfect spheres), and yet Flat Earth believers insist that the Earth is a flat cuboid travelling through space with a Sun and moon with a diameter of 32 km above it and provides absolutely no evidence for their ridiculous claims while disregarding the countless amounts of evidence we have for a spherical Earth as government lies.

Flat Earth believers simply reject evidence such as photographs taken from satellites and the ISS and do not believe gravity exists. The burden of proof is on them to provide even a sliver of evidence that the Earth is flat other than mere claims and conjecture.

My opponent has to provide evidence as to why the Earth is flat that is enough to make anyone a skeptic on the spherical shape of the Earth. They can try to back up their claims and prove photographic evidence as false.

This debate is open to any legitimate Flat Earth believers.
humperdink

Con

I am arguing that the earth is in fact flat for several reasons. For one, satellites may very well conjure fake programmed images of the earth. People who have been in space may have signed an agreement to not release details of this to the public. Also, we do not require gravity because our mass will cause us to fall against air resistance. In this case, water and other objects would not need gravity to stay down since the earth is already flat.
Zaephou

Pro

'we do not require gravity because our mass will cause us to fall against air resistance' - humperdink

First of all, mass is not a force. The reason we fall is because of weight, which is a force caused by gravity. The imbalance in forces due to the fact that weight is a bigger force than air resistance causes us to go in the direction the force is heading. Without gravity, the upward force created by air resistance will be stronger than the absence of a downward force and therefore, we will float upwards until we exit our atmosphere. Even in a planet without an atmosphere, if there was no gravity, there will be no upward or downward forces, so we will float in one place without descending or ascending.

Also, all your claims are dependent on 'may', and since the burden of proof is on the one who makes the claim, where is the evidence and I require proof.

So, I ask again, how would gravity work on a flat earth?
humperdink

Con

We do not actually need gravity. There are several holes in the theory of gravity. If gravity really is true, then if I held up a ball and put a pea on the bottom of it, the pea would just fall off. You may argue that this is because earth's gravity is infinitely stronger than the balloon's gravity. But think about it. If this was really true, then the sun's gravity would pull us right in! Supposedly, the sun's gravity reaches out for light years. This proves how gravity is not possible. More proof is that balloons can fly, even though they are heavier than air. But that doesn't matter when they are filled with helium. If you add the weight of helium to the weight of a balloon, they will still weigh more than air, because the balloon itself weighs more than air. I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that the weight of something cannot be negative. Therefore, no matter how much helium weighs, the added weight of the balloon will make it so air is lighter. Also, I have some more evidence against round earth. So earth supposedly spins 700-1000 mph. Now, if I jumped, evidence would say that I would land some miles behind where I started, based on my starting latitude. However, in real life this does not happen. Why does this not happen? If I jump of a flatbed truck, I will be left behind from the flatbed truck. Also, if you could rise even up to 20 miles, the horizon would look flat. This is the same for sea level. How could this be possible on a round earth?
Zaephou

Pro

First of all, your first point makes no sense, you talk about putting a pea under a ball expecting the pea not to fall, even though according to gravity it should since the pea is no held by frictional forces of the ball, and then refer to a balloon. Perhaps rephrase your argument more clearly in the next round.

Secondly, you say that if the Earth was spinning at that rate, we should land miles away from the place we jumped from. This does not happen, like you said, but it does not disprove gravity, and in-fact further gives evidence. This is simply because...

We move with the Earth!

Yes, when we are on the ground we move with the earth, and since when we jump upwards we do not exert a force horizontally, we follow Newton's first law of motion that tells us that an object in motion will stay in motion. We can also consider the fact that the Earth is also rotating at a constant speed.

Lastly, the reason a balloon floats in place or upwards, is because of the upward, buoyant force exerted by air pressure that is greater than or equal to the gravitational force of 1g.
Posted by Zaephou 2 months ago
Zaephou
I want to know what sort of justification one might have for believing in a flat earth, and challenge myself to come up with a comprehensive rebuttal.
Posted by wolf24 2 months ago
wolf24
The only reason why someone would start a debate on this topic is maybe they don't know if the topics true or they want to win a debate.
Posted by Zaephou 3 months ago
Zaephou
You seem like a knowledgeable guy, care to debate?
Posted by Zaephou 3 months ago
Zaephou
I guess I should ask you, how do we experience the effects of gravity if gravity does not exist?
Posted by Zaephou 3 months ago
Zaephou
have you fallen down? there we go gravity. have we seen gravitational waves? yes
Posted by Edlvsjd 3 months ago
Edlvsjd
what about actual scientific experiments and evidence instead of something that has never been proved or demostrated like gravity
Posted by Zaephou 3 months ago
Zaephou
I would rather trust scientific research by identified intellectual organizations than a skeptic's youtube video