Stupidape
rajarsh

The Earth is spherical in shape.

rajarsh has forfeited round #1.

Stupidape

Pro

Outline

I. Intro
II. Moon
III. Ships and the horizon
IV. Magellan's voyage
V. Planes circumventing the globe
VI. Photos from space
VII. Astronauts
VIII. Rotation of the Earth
IX. Conclusions
X. Sources

I. Intro

No nitpicking please, for example don't make your argument that the Earth is not spherical and instead a bumpy spheroid.

The Earth is spherical in shape. I don't know what those flat Earth people are up to, but I suspect something sinister. I view them as climate change deniers, since if the Earth is flat, it destroys the global warming / climate change theory.

I will not tolerate the flat Earth people's ways any longer. If you want fantasy write a book like Harry Potter and see it. Please stop passing your fantasies off as fact. With global climate change barring its fangs at our throats we need every person we can to fight this monster.

II. Moon

We have evidence for a long time the Earth is spherical in shape. [0] The shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse show's Earth's shadow, as round. The moon is round, thus Earth is round.

Due to the rotations of the moon and Earth, we can see different black spots on the moon, showing that the moon is not only round but spherical and thus the Earth is also spherical.

III. Ships and the horizon

Ships on the horizon appear to emerge from the sea. Showing the curvature of the Earth and thus spherical.

IV. Magellan's voyage

Magellan circumvented the globe, thus proving the world can't possibly be flat in those directions.

V. Planes circumventing the globe

Many planes have circumvented the globe. Proving the globe must be round in those directions.

VI. Photos from space

Photos from space illustrate the Earth is spherical in shape. [3]

Stupidape

VII. Astronauts

Astronauts have viewed Earth from space and the moon and come back to tell the tale.

VIII. Rotation of the Earth

The reason the Earth is not a perfect sphere is due to the spinning of the Earth. "Moreover, to even out Earth's imbalanced distribution of mass and stabilize its spin, "the entire surface of the Earth will rotate and try to redistribute mass along the equator, a process called true polar wander," Meert says." [1]

Thus the Earth cannot be flat.

IX. Conclusions

I have shown over and over that the Earth is nowhere near flat and is closer to a sphere. Via, the moon, the shadow of the Earth, ships on the horizon, and more. To see how Earth was formed is some nice reading. [2] As you can see without gravity the Earth would never have formed.

Would love to see how the flat Earth people are going to show how the Earth was formed flat.

Thank you for reading.

X. Sources
0. http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov...
1. http://www.scientificamerican.com...
2. http://www.space.com...
3. https://images.duckduckgo.com...
Posted by BackCommander 9 months ago
BackCommander
@Throwback, "I was there" is a terrible stance to take. We all agree that people in the 70's were morons, no need to try to convince us of that. What @sherlockholmesfan2798 seems to be trying to point out to you is that SCIENTISTS of the 70's weren't the ones pushing forth the idea of global cooling. That'd be the media of your day spreading those lies. Why? Because they knew you'd believe it, it'd make you watch the news, increasing viewership. Back then no one had all of the knowledge of man at their fingertips so I can't exactly blame you or your generation for buying into propaganda, you guys never stood a chance.
Posted by Stupidape 9 months ago
Stupidape
"epicray1It's actually elliptical"

The orbit is elliptical, I wouldn't call the Earth's shape elliptical.

http://geography.about.com...
Posted by sherlockholmesfan2798 9 months ago
sherlockholmesfan2798
Well then it's at this point that I ask why? I hope I don't seem disrespectful here, but I genuinely don't understand a predisposition to denying climate change. A vast majority of current and past peer reviewed science by climate scientists come to the consensus that the climate is indeed warming [1]. If one continues to deny climate change (not just human-caused climate change, but climate change entirely), then their only path is to condemn all of the scientific community. Yet I find very little justification to do so. The 70's myth is inconsistent with factual reports, and simply because the media exaggerated its severity at a point in time, does not show inconsistency and therefore, illegitimacy within the scientific community.

So with genuine respect, I ask you what needs to happen in order for you to believe that the climate is indeed changing? What study, article or source would you deem legitimate enough to believe in? I'm truly curious as to what your response will be.

1.http://iopscience.iop.org...
Posted by Throwback 9 months ago
Throwback
No point in trying to rewrite history for me. I was there. Global warming was not the scare. I'm not surprised these people would change history for their needs. Their former argument no longer works, so they just never said it. Very convenient lie.
Posted by epicray1 9 months ago
epicray1
It's actually elliptical
sherlockholmesfan2798
It really didn't. A small research group concluded this, while a vast majority of peer reviewed science in the 70's concluded that the climate was indeed warming. The notion that a small number of studies that are contrary to mountains of studies, shows that science cannot be trusted is truly ludicrous. I'll link the American Meteorological Society's Journal to support this fact. But just to quote them, they explicitly state that:

"There was no scientific consensus in the 1970s that the Earth was headed into an
imminent ice age. Indeed, the possibility of anthropogenic warming dominated
the peer-reviewed literature even then."

http://journals.ametsoc.org...
Posted by Throwback 9 months ago
Throwback
They all did in the 70's. Pollution caused global cooling back then.
Posted by Stupidape 9 months ago
Stupidape
This is news to me that a 70's car could cause global cooling.
Posted by Throwback 9 months ago
Throwback
There are also other weirdos on here, linked by the instigator in his open to the flat earthers, who believe man is changing the climate of the world. They are the newest incarnation of Chicken Little. It fascinates me that in the 1970's my car was causing global cooling leading to the next Ice Age. Now that same car was causing global warming leading to the scorching of the earth. Why the change? Because the naturally occurring changes in climate necessitate a change in talking points.
Posted by SM29 9 months ago
SM29
Throwback, totally agree that's why I'm following this debate. It just boggles my mind that there could actually be some kind of rational discourse on the topic. What's next, "The sky is blue"? "Ingesting large amounts of arsenic can be hazardous to your health?"