Jammie
Cogitatio-et-veritatis

The Earth is spherical

Jammie

Jammie

Pro

I believe the earth is spherical. The earth is not flat, as boats wouldn't disappear from the horizon if it was. Also, images of the earth from space aren't fake, and NASA isn't involved in a big conspiracy to make us believe the earth is spherical.
Cogitatio-et-veritatis

Con

I will gladly accept this debate and I hope that both you and I can shed some light on this subject. Hopefully, we enlight each other. I'm assuming that I'm against the idea that the Earth's shape is spherical.
Jammie

Pro

(I will be assuming you believe the Earth is flat, and as you have not clarified whether you believe it is flat or not, only that you do not believe it is spherical. Of course, if I am mistaken I shall adjust my arguments accordingly, but since you chose not to clarify I must assume.)

The Earth is spherical, as given all of the evidence and primary observations that one may conduct for himself shows. First, some practical observations. When a ship is travelling across the ocean, one finds that as the ship reaches a certain point of distance, it slowly vanishes below the horizon. This is explained by the curvature of the Earth, as otherwise (if the Earth was flat) the ship would not disappear, only get smaller. As well as this do-it-yourself example, one can find a plethora of photographs observing the Earth from space. In these photographs, the Earth is obviously spherical. If the Earth is flat, then wouldn't people fall off it? And why would governments lie about the shape of the Earth, if it wasn't spherical? It makes no sense to deliberately mislead the population as to the shape of the Earth.
Cogitatio-et-veritatis

Con

I do not believe the earth is flat nor is it spherical and here me out. Spherical by definition is a third-dimensional object with a round structure and complexion. Although I can see where you think the shape of the earth is spherical it isn't. The earth is an oblate ellipsoid. The Sphere and Ellipsoid have a similar structure, the only true difference is the sphere is perfect where the ellipsoid is flat on its poles and bulging at the equator (prolate) or flat at the equator and bulging at the poles (oblate).

Take a look at a picture of the earth and focus on the poles and equators.
Jammie

Pro

For simplicity's sake I said spherical. There's no point accepting a debate just to be overly pedantic because it just wastes everyone's time. I know that there is a slight bulge in the earth. Some of this is my fault for not specifying what I meant by 'spherical' but there's no point in being so pedantic. Next time I will specify what I mean by 'spherical' but I was hoping for a flat earther.
Cogitatio-et-veritatis

Con

I do apologize. I tend to be exact and fastidious. It was mostly my fault, I didn't see you were trying to reach a specific audience and challenge. I do disagree with you on me being overly pedantic. Accuracy, exactness, and precision are key to a debate.
Posted by Cogitatio-et-veritatis 9 months ago
Cogitatio-et-veritatis
Jammie, Don't ask me questions in the comments. Use the debate. I will gladly answer your questions once you've made your first point.
Posted by Jammie 9 months ago
Jammie
Specifically what shape do you believe the earth is? You didn't clarify in your opening statement.
Vote Placed by Jacobbruce 9 months ago
Jacobbruce
JammieCogitatio-et-veritatisTied
Reasons for voting decision: While con was more specific with their argument, pro provided better examples than con.
Vote Placed by byaka2013 9 months ago
byaka2013
JammieCogitatio-et-veritatisTied
Reasons for voting decision: There Earth bulges at the equator
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 9 months ago
dsjpk5
JammieCogitatio-et-veritatisTied
Vote Placed by 3RU7AL 9 months ago
3RU7AL
JammieCogitatio-et-veritatisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Resolution "The Earth is spherical" negated by CON.