Legitdebater
rross

The Edmonton Oilers will make the playoffs this year

Started: 2/5/2013 Category: Sports

Legitdebater

Pro

The Edmonton Oilers will make the playoffs since they have two great rookies; Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz, and have had solid goaltending so far from Devan Dubnyk. They are a great young team with superb chemistry on each of their defensive and offensive lines. They have a good defence with veteran Ryan Whitney and newly aquired rookie Justin Schultz.
rross

Con

Yes, how great would it be if the Oilers made the playoffs!! It's been seven years now, right?

It's true that they've got some good new talent and they're strong in defence, but it really comes down to offensive play and maintaining that momentum in offense, and I just don't think the Oilers are really getting it together yet.

Also, what happens if something happens to Dubnyk - if he has an off day or can't play for some reason - it's not obvious who would stand in effectively for him.

Nah. This is the year for the Blackhawks!! I can feel it.

But it'll be interesting to see how the Oilers go against the Dallas Stars today. They don't have such a good record there. But we'll see.

-

The betting's against the Oilers making the playoffs (1). To win this debate, Pro needs to show us why the bookmakers have got it wrong.

I look forward to reading his arguments.

(1) http://www.beyondthebets.com...
Legitdebater

Pro

The Oilers will make the playoffs for 3 main reasons. As I mentioned before, they have a solid, young team with good goaltending from Devan Dubnyk, who only lets in 2 goals per game. But did I mention that the Oilers have the ability to take on any team in the NHL. The Oilers defeated the reigning Stanley Cup Champions: The L.A. Kings. They didn't let a touchy no goal call surpress their hopes of winning that game, but instead came back with a phenomenal goal from rookie Nail Yakupov! They have proven they can take on elite teams such as the reingning Stanley Cup champions and the San Jose Sharks. Therefore, they have shown that they can compete in the NHL at a high level that they should be competing at.

Before stating my next contention, I will clash with some of my opponent's points. My opponent said that if something were to happen to Dubnyk then "it's not obvious who would stand in effectively for him." However, it is clear that the Oilers have trust in veteran goalie Nikolai Khabibulin if somthing were happen to Dubnyk. Last year, Khabibulin averaged 2.65 goals a game and had a good save percentage of .910. With the release of Yann Danis, it is clear to me that they trust Khabibulin as their back-up.

"It's true that they've got some good new talent and they're strong in defence, but it really comes down to offensive play and maintaining that momentum in offense, and I just don't think the Oilers are really getting it together yet." Offence is not a problem for the Oilers this year, with rookies Yakupov and Schultz 3rd and 5th in points. Taylor Hall is 28th in league scoring(points), and with offensive playmakers like the "Nuge" (Ryan Nugent- Hopkins) Jordan Eberle, and finally with veterans Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner, I can assure you that won't be a problem.

The Oilers also have a killer power-play, ranked 3rd in the NHL. The Oilers will tear you apart with their power-play and teams usually get frequent penalties in regular season games. They cycle the puck and will likely score on you if you're an unorganized team. Power Plays ultimaltely get you goals, and that's just what the Oilers need to beat opposing teams. Power Plays can make the diffference between winning and losing and can give a team a momentum swing. Therefore, they will make the playoffs.

http://www.hockeydb.com...
http://www.nhl.com...
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com...;
http://www.hockeydb.com...;
rross

Con

Pro said: "The Oilers have the ability to take on any team in the NHL."

I know. How good was that game against the L.A. Kings! Unfortunately, it's consistency that's needed to get into the playoffs. The Oilers have only won 4 of their last 11 games. Unlike the BLACKHAWKS, as a random comparison, who have won 9 and who are leading the rankings in the western division. I concede that at their best, the Oilers can take on anyone. However, it's playing well game after game that matters. The Oilers are a young team and a good team, and no doubt they'll develop consistency with time. They're not there yet.

To get into the playoffs, The Oilers need to finish in the top eight in the Western Division. Currently, they are 11th (1). So on their performance so far, they will not get into the playoffs.

Pro thinks that the Oilers' power-play, the new rookies, and an emphasis on defense will be enough for them to get into the playoffs. However, what he doesn't explain is why these attributes have not been enough for them to win more than a handful of games so far. The best predictor of future performance is past performance.

In their most recent game against Detroit, the Oilers got 8 power plays, including over a minute of 5 on 3. There was no sign of the "killer power-play" that Pro mentioned. Detroit won with two power-plays of their own, to make it 2-1. (2) Consistency, see? If they had been able to bring even a fraction of the form that got them ranked so highly on power-play they would have won the game. But they didn't, or they couldn't. Maybe next year.

At the Edmonton Journal, 56% of people think their team will make the playoffs. Hooray for the fans! Unfortunately, as Edmonton hockey blogger David Staples says:

"[L]ast summer at this time, we took a fan poll here at the Cult of Hockey and found that 41 per cent of Oilers fans predicted the Oilers would make the playoffs in 2011-12. As we all know, the team finished second last in the NHL, far out of the playoffs...[and although their chances are better now] I should say that I don’t think the Oilers will make the playoffs this year." (3)

(1) http://oilers.nhl.com...
(2) http://video.oilers.nhl.com...
(3) http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com...
Legitdebater

Pro

This has been a great debate so far, and I will sum up my final thoughts on why I fimly believe the Oilers will make the playoff's this year. First, I will make my final clashes.

Con said:"To get into the playoffs, The Oilers need to finish in the top eight in the Western Division. Currently, they are 11th (1). So on their performance so far, they will not get into the playoffs."

This is true,however, the Oilers have only played 11 games, and they have 37 games left to play. As of February 10th, we can see that they only need 2 more points to clinch a playoff spot in 8th place. The Oilers are an extremely competitive team with a lot of heart, and the last three games they've played have been close as well as the majority of their games. They are playing the Blue Jackets tonight and they have a good chance of winning, which will give them a playoff birth. If the Oilers can get on a winning streak, I can assure you they'll make it. The average goals the Oilers are down by when they're losing is 1.42, so we can see that they are consistently playing games that are close.

Con Said: Unfortunately, as Edmonton hockey blogger David Staples says: "[L]ast summer at this time, we took a fan poll here at the Cult of Hockey and found that 41 per cent of Oilers fans predicted the Oilers would make the playoffs in 2011-12. As we all know, the team finished second last in the NHL, far out of the playoffs...[and although their chances are better now] I should say that I don’t think the Oilers will make the playoffs this year." (3)

Wow, I never new that the future of the Oilers playoff's hopes would depend on David Staples opinion. I totally respect his remark, but just because a random blogger says that the Oilers finished 2nd last, last year doesn't mean that they can't make it this year with a shortened 48 games season with a rejuvinated team.

The last point I have is about goaltending. The Oilers' goaltending has been extraordinary this season with an average save percentage of .952 and have only allowed an average of 2.4 goals a game. They are clearly good at keeping the puck out aren't they. In fact, they have a better save percentage than a team such as the Blackhawks with Dubnyk and Khabibulin with a .923 and .933 percentage compared to the Blackhawks goalies of .920 and .930. This surely is a factor to take into consideration when making the playoffs: stopping the puck.

Its been quite a while since the Oilers have made the playoffs. As an Oilers fan, it's just plain horrible. With 37 games left, they can acheive this goal. Who knows, maybe they'll cream teams the Blackhawks like they did last year 8-4. Did you see that game? Anyways, the point is that Oilers are a great team who will make the playoffs through their phenomonal rookies, trustworthy goaltenders and solid defence.

Sources:http://www.nhl.com...
http://oilers.nhl.com...
http://blackhawks.nhl.com...;
rross

Con

You know, like Pro, I really hope the Oilers do make the playoffs this year.
More than that, I think they might make the playoffs.

But the resolution is not about either of those things. It states: the Edmonton Oilers will make the playoffs this year.

Some people might have gone nuts on semantics with a word like "will". They might have insisted that it means 100% certainty, and that no team has 100% certainty at this stage and therefore the statement is necessarily false.

I chose not to take such a line because it seemed contrary to the spirit of this debate. I am happy to accept that "will" implies near certainty. For example, the statement "The Chicago Blackhawks will make the playoffs this year" can be accepted as a true statement. It is true to the extent that there would need to be a majorly unexpected event, an extraordinary upset, for the Blackhawks not to make it. We can be almost certain that they will.

However, despite their win against the Blue Jackets, the Oilers are still not in the top 8 of their division. They still do not have a playoff spot.

They're almost there. If they could just push out the Stars or the Sharks.... Unfortunately, the Oilers haven't won against either team this year. The St Louis Sharks have won against them twice (6,3 and 3,2) and the Stars have won once (3,2) (1).

It's true, as Pro says, that there are a lot of games to go. The positions may shift. I hope so.

However, we making predictions at this point in time. And, right now, the only information we have is the games so far. Based on the games so far, the Oilers are not good enough to make the playoffs. There are eight teams that rank above them in the Western Division.

Of course, sometimes extenuating circumstances can mean that a team starts slowly. Injuries of key players, for example, or a few unlucky games at the beginning, or a change of coach could all mean that the rankings misrepresent a team's potential. However, Pro has given no evidence of anything like this.

All his arguments in favor of the Oilers - their defence, their power plays, their rookies - have been attributes that the team have possessed since the beginning of the season. These attributes have not delivered them enough wins to make the top eight so far. And there is no reason at all to suppose that this will change.

Pro said: "The Oilers are an extremely competitive team with a lot of heart, and the last three games they've played have been close as well as the majority of their games."

Well, yes. They lost those three games as well as the majority of their games. That's the point, unfortunately.

Pro said: "They are playing the Blue Jackets tonight and they have a good chance of winning, which will give them a playoff birth."

Hooray! The did win! However, no, they do not have a playoff birth. They're still not in the top 8.

Pro said: "If the Oilers can get on a winning streak, I can assure you they'll make it."

Of course. Any team can make it if they have a strong enough winning streak. That's what you need: a lot of wins. That's what's missing.

Pro said: "just because a random blogger says that the Oilers finished 2nd last, last year doesn't mean that they can't make it this year"

The Oilers did finish second last in the previous season. This is a statement of fact, not opinion. I put in the survey result to show that fans can have faith in their team - that's great - but it's not the same as an objective assessment of the team's chances.

Pro said: "The last point I have is about goaltending. The Oilers' goaltending has been extraordinary this season with an average save percentage of .952 and have only allowed an average of 2.4 goals a game."

Very impressive. But, given that there have been so few wins for the Oilers this year, it only shows how lacking they are in offense.

I hope the Oilers make it this year. They still might. But Pro needed to prove that they will make it and he has failed.

(1) http://oilers.nhl.com...
Posted by rross 4 years ago
rross
Thank YOU Legitdebater
Posted by Legitdebater 4 years ago
Legitdebater
Thanks for a great debate
Posted by rross 4 years ago
rross
Thanks for the debate, Legitdebater. I'm thinking that round one is not just acceptance, but a brief statement of argument. I probably won't be able to put it together until tomorrow.
Vote Placed by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
LegitdebaterrrossTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nobody cares.