the-great-debater
Mostem.G

The Egyptian revolution has been a success

the-great-debater

Con

I'm going to argue against this topic since I believe that the Egyptian revolution has harmed the Egyptian community more than benefiting it.
Mostem.G

Pro

I just have to say one thing before starting-'Why zis color fey color fery color fery green?'
Anyway, I am for this argument since I was elected to discuss it.
the-great-debater

Con

Let me start by congratulating my opponent for his excellent English language skills.
On the 25th of January 2011, the spark that lit the revolution in Egypt against all forms of mistreatment and mass thievery happened. The people flooded the streets with their wants for freedom and democracy. They wanted a better Egypt with a brighter future. They wanted better living standards for themselves and their families. The question is has this happened? The answer is no. As a matter of fact things got worse. The police lost their authority and security became weak in a country where weakness is no tolerated. Crime rates increased and chaos erupted whenever a person demanded a simple thing. Democracy and freedom were misunderstood. Basically the Egypt of today is even worse than the Egypt before the times of dictatorship. So therefore I believe that the revolution has cause more harm than good to the Egyptian community itself.
Mostem.G

Pro

A wonderful start by my veteran opponent.
I personally believe that the previous government required drastic changes that couldn't have happened while former president Hosni Moubark was in power. He overstayed his visit, so to speak, by changing the constitution of Egypt. The fact that the president has power above everyone else in the country and he can do anything he pleases is a fault in its own right. This change was required to occur a couple of decades ago, since if Egypt had stayed in its previous state the poor would remain poor, so much so that they can't afford bread. Furthermore, if the do save up enough money to purchase a loaf of bread, they will usually find a couple of stones entwined with the bread, therefore health complications would occur. But because of a failure of a health department in Egypt, there wouldn't be much help for the poor. Moreover, there was a lot of corruption occurring during the previous regime. Former president Hosni Moubark had $70 billion worth of assets all over the world, and was thought to be the richest man alive for a short period of time.
the-great-debater

Con

Thank you for that Mr Mostafa.
I will start by rebutting some of your points.
Opponent: I personally believe that the previous government required drastic changes that couldn't have happened while former president Hosni Moubark was in power.

-Whilst I agree with the fact that the former president Hosni Moubarak needed to be overthrown, I would like to point out that the main cause of this revolution was not to overthrow a president but to strive for a greater cause of freedom and democracy. Removing the president is only a the first step of a long ladder that requires constant motivation to reach the top.

Opponent: The fact that the president has power above everyone else in the country and he can do anything he pleases is a fault in its own right. This change was required to occur a couple of decades ago, since if Egypt had stayed in its previous state the poor would remain poor, so much so that they can't afford bread. Furthermore, if the do save up enough money to purchase a loaf of bread, they will usually find a couple of stones entwined with the bread, therefore health complications would occur.

-All that has happened since the revolution is that a former president was removed and a new president (Mohammed Morsi) replaced him. This replacement hasn't changed anything and did not make the poor rich or the hungry full. In fact the new president has had some weak actions and has showed the people that he might not be the man for the job since he has not fulfilled any of his promises. It seems like Egypt might go back to dictatorship since the president still controls everything that happens in the country. This time the person controlling the country is weak.

Opponent: Former president Hosni Moubark had $70 billion worth of assets all over the world, and was thought to be the richest man alive for a short period of time.

-I am not sure this is a valid statement since this is not backed up by facts. It is only rumours transmitted between people.

To conclude I think that the Egyptian people need to change their way of thinking and not only change their president. A successful revolution is one that achieves its targets and not only one.
Mostem.G

Pro

Thanks for that wonderful reply master Ahmad

Opponent: I am not sure this is a valid statement since this is not backed up by facts. It is only rumours transmitted between people
- I'm very sorry i didn't cite my source however a quick search in Google will tell you everything you need to know-here is 1 example of many http://www.indianexpress.com...

Opponent: All that has happened since the revolution is that a former president was removed and a new president (Mohammed Morsi) replaced him. This replacement hasn't changed anything and did not make the poor rich or the hungry full.

- I don't believe it is fair to generate your views on a president of a major player in the global community from him being in power for less than a year. What do you think most of the presidents manage to accomplish in the first few months of their careers?

I believe that before the revolution Egypt had no real impact in the world but now he current president is trying to make major alliances with other countries such as Iran and Turkey.

Opponent: Removing the president is only a the first step of a long ladder that requires constant motivation to reach the top.
- If removing the president is the very first step then why shouldn't the Egyptian people not take it-where would they be if nothing happened. You are basically saying that the people shouldn't even try since it requires ' constant motivation to reach the top'.