Dovahkiin
bigcountry54

The Electoral College is outdated

bigcountry54

Dovahkiin

Con

The electoral college is outdated because one very stupid attribute of the electoral college is the fact that people don't actually elect their leader. They send hundreds of thousands of votes to the E.C., but even if somebody won by 500,000 votes, the other could still win.
bigcountry54

Pro

For the first round, I would like to clarify which position We are taking. I believe my opponent meant to take the "Pro" stance for this debate based on his argument. With that in mind, I will react to his arguments in the first round and then allow him to clarify his position in the second.
The people of America are represented through the electoral college. The popular vote ( the people) of a state dictates where the electoral votes fall for an election.
As for presidents who lose the popular election and still take the prize through the Electoral college, probably not a strong argument for this debate. Out of the 44 presidents elected over the last 230 years, only 4 have accomplished this (John Q. Adams, Hayes, Benjamin Harrison, G.W. Bush).
Dovahkiin

Con

Just because it represents our country, doesn't mean it's not outdated. If we have freedom of who we elect, then how come some people in a building decide who we elect? Yes our votes can influence the E.C., but they make the real choice. When will we really be able to elect our leader?
bigcountry54

Pro

"Yes our votes can influence the E.C., but they make the real choice. When will we really be able to elect our leader?"

If one is 18 and a registered voter, he will be allowed to vote in 2016.

I am starting to believe that we are discussing the problems with the current electoral college instead of debating whether it is outdated or not. I think we agree on the fact that our votes DO count in the election of a president. We have been electing presidents the same way for the entire existence of our nation. That has not changed. The electoral College was designed as a method to represent the popular vote (which it has accomplished all but 4 times) in a nation that, at the time, had limited communication. The electors represented the states. Today the Electoral College, though not perfect, still represents the people.

The election process today has changed with technology and the ability to communicate quicker and easier. The voting results are counted much faster and we know the next elected president. We have many issues with the process like multiple voting or not getting all the absentee ballots counted but those kind of issues would remain even if the Electoral College was removed and we used straight popular vote.

The bottom line (for round 2) is this: 1) We do elect our own presidents as a nation through an institute that has effectively worked for more than 230 years. 2) Most of the issues in the election process are not a result of the E.C. being outdated. 3) I have to assume that my opponent should have selected the "Pro" side of the debate?
Dovahkiin

Con

Dovahkiin forfeited this round.
bigcountry54

Pro

I will reserve most my time for the next round. There are so many decisions made during the founding of our nation that still work today. The wisdom of the founders is shown in the Constitutional amendment process. Throughout the years, many changes to the constitution have been offered ( I believe around 3,000) yet only 27 have been approved. The electoral college is not one of them. The indication seems to be that it still works well so there has been no need to change it.
Dovahkiin

Con

Dovahkiin forfeited this round.
bigcountry54

Pro

I will continue making general statements in the meantime until I hear a response. Outdated means "having passed its time of use or usefulness" according to the Webster's Dictionary. If we consider the long history and current use of the E.C. we can clearly see that by definition, it is not outdated. Again, it is not perfect but we are debating whether it is outdated, not perfect.
Dovahkiin

Con

Dovahkiin forfeited this round.
bigcountry54

Pro

Well, I believe that if I say anything else in this debate I will begin being tempted to debate myself. I would have enjoyed more interaction on this subject. I guess I will have to keep looking around.
Posted by Shader609 3 years ago
Shader609
Electoral College is anything but outdated. The reason why it is "outdated" is because it works.
Posted by EndarkenedRationalist 3 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
You are listed as CON but your argument is for the PRO side.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
Dovahkiinbigcountry54Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeit, and also failing to realize the difference between Pro and Con. Pro (who was actually arguing the Con side of this debate, but I shall address as Pro because that is what he is labeled as) successfully answered all questions and refuted the only point made by Con. Con never addressed Pro's arguments and seemed to be in more of a rant mode.