Dovahkiin
Josh_b

The Electoral College is outdated

Josh_b

Dovahkiin

Pro

The Electoral College is outdated because say if somebody running for president, Al Gore for example, won by say 500,000 votes, it wouldn't even matter because the Electoral College could just switch it around. Like the election of 2000. We all know that the E.C. does the real voting, so when do we get a chance to elect our leader? In the constitution, it says we have freedom to elect who we want as our leader. When will the constitution come true in that statement?
Josh_b

Con

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. --Declaration of Indepandance.

Although in some ways I believe the Electoral College is not perfect. I do believe it is designed for the purpose of over turning a popular vote. Founders believed that mass populations acted with a mob mentality. I think it is true. Take John Kerry for example. He wasn't elected president, but now he's the Secretary of State.

I believe the burdon of proof should be on you to not only present sound reasons of it being out of date, but to also to present new ideas that will bring it up to date rather than abolish it.
Dovahkiin

Pro

Dovahkiin forfeited this round.
Josh_b

Con

There are sill a lot of debate rounds left to forfiet so early. I hope that we can explore your ideas on this subject.
Dovahkiin

Pro

Dovahkiin forfeited this round.
Josh_b

Con

This is a lot of rounds, expecially with such a short turnover. I will probably forfiet thenxt two rounds due to time constraints.
Dovahkiin

Pro

Sorry I haven't been on. The electoral college is outdated once again because it takes away our freedom when will our constitutional rights really come true? Answer me this.
Josh_b

Con

On second thought, I won't forfeit my next two rounds. In Colorado, the largest population densities are near two major cities. Denver and Colorado Springs. If the majority of these people vote in favor of the same thing, the whole rest of the state can be against it and it will still pass with a majority vote. People of Colorado's west and south are concerned about farmland and water rights. Do you think the people of Denver give a hoot about watersheds? I don't.

The founding fathers knew the meaning of a popularity vote and created the electoral college with the mind that the voters would give a more accurate representative vote of the entire land area of the state.
Dovahkiin

Pro

Dovahkiin forfeited this round.
Josh_b

Con

Josh_b forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by ndedo 3 years ago
ndedo
DovahkiinJosh_bTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff less and was the only one to even offer an argument.