9spaceking
Max.Wallace

The Elo System Should be Changed

9spaceking

9spaceking

Pro

Resolved: The DDO Elo system should be changed somehow.
Round one acceptance only. No semantic arguments. No trolling.
Max.Wallace

Con

If the elo system is a politically correct system of fair judgement, then it should not be changed, as continuance of it's usage will reveal political correctness as the tyranny it is. Please continue the elo system of judgement you PC tyrants, as that is the best way to reveal your ineptitude. Are we trying to be elo 1, or elo highest number? There is no first place according to the elo designers, only the most submissive to the system are the winners. Why is it that there is no elo rank between 0 and 1000? What is the rank? the higher your rank, the more PC is your stank.
9spaceking

Pro

I'm not sure if my opponent accepted and used round 1 for acceptance. We'll suppose he accepted the debate. I'm not sure. Deduct conduct point because I haven't ever seen an acceptance like that, I suppose?
Anyhow, onto the arguments

It doesn't stop noob-snipers.
Noob-snipers still gain a ton of elo. Two good examples are Teemo and jh1234l. Teemo has a massive over-4,000 elo, [1] while jh1234l has more than 3,000 elo. [2] However, they both lost to me, a mere ~2100 elo debater. [3] This just shows how much of a noob-sniper both of them are, and the fact is that noob-snipers can't be stopped, they still gain a load of elo regardless of the point reduction of the contender.

It does not accurately display your debating skills.
One good example is the under-rated debater Envisage. He's amazing!! He doesn't even have 2,500 elo [4], but he defeated a guy with over 4,500 elo [5], is winning against some person with almost 3,200 elo [6], and defeated some guy with over 3,400 elo [7]. This just shows how unfair the elo system is. As pointed out above when a good experienced guy defeats a noob they gain loads of elo, while Envisage, even with the instigator advantage, cannot gain a lot of elo from defeating all these uber-impressive dudes.

Thus I have provided 2 excellent reasons to why the elo system is rigged and needs to change up somehow. Onto you, con.

[1] debate.org/teemo
[2] debate.org/jh1234l
[3] debate.org/9spaceking
[4] debate.org/envisage
[5] http://www.debate.org...
[6] http://www.debate.org...
[7] http://www.debate.org...
Max.Wallace

Con

only an insider could understand what you said. what? what was all that bunk? you need to go to elo detox.
9spaceking

Pro

Extend all arguments
Max.Wallace

Con

The fact of the matter is that elo is completely meaningless, as the judges are all allowed to pick and choose which debates they judge. There is no criteria for judgeship, and certainly no credence can be put on a point system that operates so loosely. Who is judging the topic and why? Any ideas? How can the elo system or anyone judged by it take it at all seriously? I certainly do not care what my elo rank is, however I am thankful that this site lets me state my opinion openly.
9spaceking

Pro

-Elo matters as my opponent concedes himself last round.
-The new judge system adds criteria.
-Vote me.
Max.Wallace

Con

You are conceding to the merit of my argument, by accepting my observations as evidence.

Vote WE THE PEOPLE, not elo the people. Your argument sucks. I beg no one for votes.
Posted by Max.Wallace 3 years ago
Max.Wallace
Ah, the Turing test, of what's testes? you believe you know? hahaaahaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Posted by Max.Wallace 3 years ago
Max.Wallace
Turing test? That must be some PC crap you learned in PC school. Never heard of it and could care less.
Posted by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
"Max Wallace fails the Turing test so hard."

HAHAHAHAHA
Posted by Bennett91 3 years ago
Bennett91
Max Wallace fails the Turing test so hard.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
I wish dairy girl would get in here and defend the ELO system.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Envisage sniped my resolution. Don't bring that retarded debate up.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
@9spaceking, "extend all arguments" then reopen the debate to get a new challenger.
Posted by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
Wanna debate this?
Posted by Max.Wallace 3 years ago
Max.Wallace
go out on a pond and catch a fish! mmmmmmmmmmmm delish! elo rank is nothing but PC whooey!
Posted by AlexanderOc 3 years ago
AlexanderOc
Someone's butthurt...
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
9spacekingMax.WallaceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was rude and didn't forward any of his own argument. Pro was the only one to use sources.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
9spacekingMax.WallaceTied
Reasons for voting decision: "The fact of the matter is that elo is completely meaningless," pretty much a concession (argument to pro, conduct to con... yes I am being charitable). "You are conceding to the merit of my argument, by accepting my observations as evidence." That a case has merit, does not mean it wins. A high percentage of debates here are won using quotes from the opponent as evidence, which is not conceding. I am leaving sources out of this, as some of the sources were tied to poor conduct from pro (honestly this debate seems to have been set up in part to attack certain people; likely justified, but than why not make the challenge to them?)
Vote Placed by Vexorator 3 years ago
Vexorator
9spacekingMax.WallaceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Max.Wallace was pretty rude, so conduct goes to 9spaceking. S&G speaks for itself. 9spaceking gave arguments backed with sources, Max.Wallace gave hardly any and no rebuttals. I also agree that the Elo System should be changed. All votes to Pro.