phantom
beastdebater

The English Premier league is better than the Spanish La La liga: football(soccer)

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 3/25/2011 Category: Sports

phantom

Pro

As my very first debate I would like to debate about something other than politics or religion so I chose my favorite sport.
The Premier League and the La Liga are regarded by most people as the two best football leagues in the world. But it is often debated which one is the best, so I hope that I will get an opponent willing to debate me.
I (pro) will be arguing that the Premier league is the better league. My opponent (con) will be arguing that the La Liga is the better league.
My arguments will be based on how good the teams in the leagues are, and how many good teams their are, how good the players are and how many their are in each league, and how tough the leagues are.etc..
I look forward to having the debate. =)
beastdebater

Con

I look forward to an interesting debate. I find this topic interesting. For clarity I would like to tell the readers what is what what we(my opponent and I) have to do win.

First definitions

First the Premier League is is an English professional league for association football clubs. Contested by 20 clubs, it operates on a system of promotion and relegation with The Football League.[1]

The La Liga League is is the professional association football league in Spain. It is contested by 20 teams.[2]

better -superior in quality or condition or effect; "a change for the better"[3]

So the Pro must arguing that the Premier league is the better league than the La Liga. I agree on that of what my opponent says of what his job is but what the con must do, is what I have a disagreement on. Since my job is to shown that the topic isn't true and that it is wrong that is my job. So since the topic is asking if the Premier League is better than the La Liga league all I have do is show that that statement is false. I can prove that statement false by 2 ways; 1 that the La Liga is the better league OR that both leagues are equally good. I can show that the Leagues are equally good and still be con because I'm showing that both leagues are equal and since the resolution says that one team is better than another, and I'm saying that that is false because both leagues are equal you must look at my criteria of what I must do.

Also what to do in each round.

Round 1- intro
Round 2-present arguments
Round 3-argue
Round 4-argue and show why you won

Good Luck!

1-http://en.wikipedia.org...
2-http://en.wikipedia.org...
3-http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...
phantom

Pro

First I would like to thank my opponent for excepting this debate.

I am perfectly fine with you debating that both leagues are equal (instead of one being better than the other), but I disagree that two leagues can be equal. They can be close but not equal they are too different for that. Therefore one has to be better than the other. They can however be too close to tell.

My argument:

(1) My first point is that The EPL (English Premier League) has more good teams. Good meaning teams that are capable of playing at the highest level.
The EPL has 6 teams that are capable of competing for the Premiership title. Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, and Tottenham.
The La Liga only has 2: Barcelona, and Real Madrid. The other eighteen teams just fight for champions league spots, Europa league spots, or survival in the La Liga. Real Madrid and Barcelona are called the two giants because they are the only clubs in Spain that compete for the league title or champions league. Other Spanish teams make it to the champions league, but they rarely get far.
To confirm this fact let me show you a statistic. Right now in La Liga, 3rd place Villarreal are almost twenty points behind 2nd place Real Madrid.

http://www.soccer-spain.com...

This is a huge gap if you compare it to the EPL, where their is only a four gap points difference. You have to go all the way down to tenth place Stoke City to get a 19 point gap from second place in the table downwards. In fact their is a 52 point gap difference from 1st place to last in La Liga. In EPL their is only a 33 point gap, Which proves my point that the premier league has more teams that are at the same level. All the EPL's best teams are at the same level. And all of these teams are able to compete with all the other leagues best teams. Meaning that the premier league contains 6 of the worlds best teams (although Tottenham might be debatable).

http://www.premierleague.com...

Let me just clarify I am not saying 6 teams are fighting for the EPL title right now. But at the beginning of next season you can say one of those 6 teams are going to win it.
Also all six teams can succeed in the champions league. Unfortunately only four teams are able to qualify for it each year but currently all four teams except for Arsenal (who got knocked out by Barcelona), are still in the champions league, while only two teams from Spain (It's obvious who) are still in it. And all English clubs (except Arsenal) finished top of their group, in the group stages.

http://www.uefa.com...

http://www.uefa.com...

(2) Obviously if a league has good teams it must have good players in those teams.
As I have said the EPL has 6 good teams. So it also has many good players, and is a stronger attraction for players from foreign leagues to come to the EPL. However it is not just from those teams that you find world class players in this league. Here is proof that there are good players in many different clubs in the EPL.

Newcastle, a team that only just got promoted to the Premier League (after being relegated 2 seasons before), just sold their best player (Andrew Carrol) in the January transfer window to Liverpool for 35 million pounds. That is a British transfer record. Newcastle also has other world class players, such as Jose Enrique. He has been linked with many top clubs, including Liverpool (who are in need of a new left back) and Tottenham. Joey Barton has been one of the Premier leagues best players this season. Kevin Nolan has also had a very enjoyable season so far. Newcastle currently sit 11th in the table.

http://www.premierleague.com...

Note I am not just mentioning the clubs best players, but players who have been linked with big clubs, sold to big clubs, or have been performing very well. For example I won't mention Fulhams Bede Hangeland, even though he is one of their best players. And is considered a good player.

Another good example is Blackpool who, like Newcastle just got promoted to the Premier league. Charlie Adam is their play maker. And has been linked with, Man U (Manchester United) Liverpool, and Man city. His price is around 13,000,000 pounds.

There are many such examples so I will try to be quick in showing some of the remainders.

Birmingham city keeper Ben Foster, is one of the best keepers in the premier league, and Birmingham are currently 19th place in the league. To prove this I will show you he currently has the most saves of any keeper in the league this season. (I cannot offer a link to the website as you need to have an account for fantasy premier league to see it but I turned it into an image)

http://i.imgur.com...

Wigan Athletic currently sit 20th (bottom) of the league. Charles Nzogbia is one of their wingers and has been linked with probably any team in need of a winger. Including Manu, Liverpool, and Chelsea.

17th place west ham have a highly rated Scott Parker.

14th place Aston Villa, have Ashley Young (arguably England's best winger) who has been linked with many clubs, Striker Gabriel Agbonglihor (one of the top scorers two seasons ago), Darren Bent,(Just moved to Villa for 18million), and Stewart Downing is also a good player.

I have refrained from mentioning other teams because it would take up a lot of my post. But I will mention other players from the top teams in the future rounds.

(3) For the sake of argument lets think what would happen if you combined the Premier League with the La Liga, so that it was a 40 team league, with 8 teams qualifying for Champions League. And six teams getting relegated. The result would be 2 Spanish teams and 6 English teams playing in the Champions League.
Barcelona are I must confess the best team in the world so they might win the league, and Real Madrid might as well. But they would be the only Spanish teams competing for the title, and the only Spanish teams who would qualify for the champions league.
I think I have proven the quality of even the teams at the bottom of the table in the EPL, so my guess would be of the 6 teams getting relegated most of them would be Spanish.

(4)Spain is great at soccer and they have one of the very best national teams, but the problem is their countries system is not as good as England's in football terms. England is more professional and modernized in how they set up the teams. That is why they have so many good teams. They have good coaches, good youth systems, and good training techniques. Don't get me wrong, Barcelona have one of the best youth systems and coach in the world, and Real Madrid have probably the best coach in the world (Jose Mourinho). But their country is not as modern as England's. Even the EPL's "worst" teams have a good set up.

That is why so many goals are scored in Spain. Barcelona have 81 goals in 29 games, Manchester United have 64 in 30 games (both teams top of the table). The teams defense in England is clearly better. Manu probably have the best defense in the world, with the likes of Nemanji Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, and Patrice Evra playing at the back, and Edwin Vander Sar in goal.

I will now let m opponent state his argument.
beastdebater

Con

beastdebater forfeited this round.
phantom

Pro

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited the round. I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to a good debate.
I hope that he will be back for the next round however.
Extend all arguments..
beastdebater

Con

beastdebater forfeited this round.
phantom

Pro

Again my opponent has forfeited the round.
Vote Pro.
beastdebater

Con

beastdebater forfeited this round.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Both Tottenham, and Man city have grown into being two very good sides these past two or three years.
For about two seasons Man City have been one of the top (if not the top) richest clubs in the world. That is why they are a contender. They have bought many good players, such as Carlos Tevez, the Toure brothers, Silva, Joe hart, Adebeyor (on loan), Edin Dzeko, James Milner, Gareth Barry, Richards, Adam Johnson. They actually have one of the best teams on sheet in the premier league.
They were also second place not long ago.
Totenham is the most debatable. They are however doing very well in the champions league this season. Probably the best English team so far. When harry Redknapp took over he brought them higher than they could ever have imagined. They were in relegation battle, but now this year they have been serious contenders for a top four finish. And if you read football websites everyone agrees they have been contenders for the title this year. They have Rafael Vander vart,(one of the best players this year) unfortunately he was injured for part of the year. Gareth Bale, probably the most talked about player at tottenham. Modric, and Defoe. (scored either 3,4,or 5 goals for England I cant remember b4 getting a long term injury)
Posted by wolfhaines 5 years ago
wolfhaines
Technically 20 teams contend for the title in EPL and La Liga. That does not change each year. If you wanted to make an assumption on what teams 'realistically' challenge, then it would be possibly to find evidence of seasons where a team expected to do well doesn't do well and vice versa. Just a warning.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Note to the viewers.....
I forgot to say, I have put out a number of statistics, but these statistics will change over the course of the debate. For example I said Manu have scored 64 goals. well on saturday they are playing west ham and are likely to score. Just something to keep in mind if you look at a statistic then look at the link and they don't fit together......
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Wolfhains, I will wait before con posts his argument to respond to your comments.
But let me just say just because a team doesn't win the league doesn't mean that team isn't contending for the title.
3 years ago I would not have had as good an argument but the EPL has grown allot in past few years
Posted by wolfhaines 5 years ago
wolfhaines
*2 have won Champions League. My mistake.
Posted by wolfhaines 5 years ago
wolfhaines
6 teams challenging for the EPL. Since when? It has only been won by 4 teams in nearly 20 years. Only one champion has won the Champions League. (2 English teams in total since start of EPL)

Been 5 winners of La Liga in the same period. 4 of which have won the Champions League. Double that of England.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
OK almost done with my post for round 2. More than 6.5k characters just need to go over it and make changes. I'm guna take a break for now though!
Posted by beastdebater 5 years ago
beastdebater
look forward to an interesting debate
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Sorry I've already gathered allot of information that would not work against Seria A/bundesliga. So I would much prefer to debate premier league vs La Liga
If no one takes my debate though I will happily debte premier league vs Serie A/Bundesliga
Posted by wolfhaines 5 years ago
wolfhaines
If this was Premiership vs Serie A/Bundesliga then I would take it.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
phantombeastdebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
phantombeastdebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's only argument was incoherent. All else unrefuted.
Vote Placed by AznWords 5 years ago
AznWords
phantombeastdebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: The contender made no real arguments (forfeited all the real debating rounds) and had bad grammar.