WOLF.J
sengejuri

The Eternal Debate For Integrity: Science Student V Religious Scholar

Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

WOLF.J

Pro

ROLE PLAY

Picture this, a Scientist (me) and a Religious Scholar (opponent) walk in to an intense, chilling, spectator filled debate hall.

With both of their careers at stake, each must defend their profession, and highlight the weaknesses of the oppositions' profession. The aim is to convince the spectators and judges (viewers of ddo) that your industry is the more honest, transparent, and integral of the two. Loser must hang his head in Eternal shame and admit the opponents profession is better and just. Winner gets bragging rights.

R1-Acceptance
R2-Highlight profession's strengths only, no rebuttals yet
R3-4-Rebuttals, point out weaknesses, arguments.
R5-comments-:Conclusion and celebration ceremony.
sengejuri

Con

I accept. I am not a religious scholar, but I will be advocating for the theistic worldview.

I wish to clarify the idea of finding which profession is "better." This is a broad term and it depends on what we're trying to achieve. In a sense, science and religion cannot be in conflict because they are seeking to answer different questions. Science seeks to discover how things happen, and religion seeks to understand why. For example, science can tell us that humans survive longer by getting proper nutrition and exercise. But science cannot tell us why survival is something we should desire or deserve. This gets into the purpose of life, and only philosophy/religion is equipped to answer that question.

As such, I will be approaching this debate from the position that theism offers more complete, coherent, and practical answers to the questions of origin, meaning, morality, and purpose. In my mind, the side that demonstrates the strongest case in these 4 criteria is "better."

Looking forward to a good debate.
WOLF.J

Pro

Allow me to defend my honour, your honour. In order to become involved in the sciences, one must achieve the highest grade standards, spending thousands and thousands in education fees. What does a religious scholar have to do? - go church and library every Sunday!! lol lmao (exaggeration for dramatic effect, spectators burst out in hysterics)

Furthermore, scientists must attain perfect mindfulness when performing practical examinations, and must also develop an eagle eye for detail when conducting analysis. In other words, scientists have to be highly versatile in a competitive industry.

Science evolves around theories and trial-and-error, as it will constantly adapt and change with the times, whereas scriptures are literally out of date. Anyone can claim to be a prophet if they are highly influential. Without science you'd have no cures to diseases and famines. Without science you'd have no technology. Without science, you'd fall pray to a priestly paedophile.Dun Dun Dunnnn

(The crowd are applauding my brilliance, I've got a standing ovation, the floor is yours)
sengejuri

Con

I thought this was going to be a serious debate. Not interested in a joke discussion, sorry.
WOLF.J

Pro

Ok no worries, the first comment by the MOD kind of put me off, and i was bored at the time, that ruined the debate.
WOLF.J

Pro

No kisses please , i don't roll that way mate.
Posted by WOLF.J 3 weeks ago
WOLF.J
I wouldn't say joke debate tho, entertainment can blend intellect as well.
Posted by WOLF.J 3 weeks ago
WOLF.J
No no, just for entertainment, hence the first words state "role play". I don't mind if you wish not to continue, i'm not too fussed w/ moving on.
Posted by sengejuri 3 weeks ago
sengejuri
Perhaps I misunderstood.... i thought this was going to be a serious debate?
Posted by WOLF.J 4 weeks ago
WOLF.J
Yes sengejuri, I agree that we can use these 4 criterion (origin, meaning, morality, and life purpose) for our debate "showdown".

Again because this is only a role play scenario, the aim is not to offend anyone, but to intellectually entertain them. Acknowledging this, we can exaggerate our arguments for entertainment purposes.

Ps, I believe in science and god like you implied, and I too am not an actual science student.

Best of Luck, i'll be free to post my argument tomo.
Posted by WOLF.J 4 weeks ago
WOLF.J
True, but this is just a role play scenario to "cash in" those so called "fan boys" in each profession, i'm not personally involved in either professionally.
Posted by Wylted 4 weeks ago
Wylted
I think it"s only a handful of ignorant science fan boys who think science and personal religious beliefs are at odds. Most religious people acknowledge that science is a pretty useful tool for society.