Jero
Lovelyritametermaid

The Eurovision Song Contest should be free from politics.

Started: 5/11/2014 Category: Music

Jero

Con

I don't believe it should necessarily. If a country has done so many discriminatory things against the LGBT community (and others), like the Russian government did? It's more than acceptable that a nation reacts to those developments with a powerful song. It's not necessary, but don't expect a respectful masquerade (even though it is quite a masquerade ;)). We will never accept bigoted thoughts from a conservative dictatorship like Russia or Belarus.
Lovelyritametermaid

Pro

You see I disagree. Eurovision has always been a stage over which the nations of Europe are able to bond, and share a common passion for the common denominator.

Music.

But the problem is, music has entered a deteriorating state, thankyou to our brilliant, bright minded "Generation X", apparently the same generation which would vote for a shockingly awful song, just because the woman singing it had a beard. I apologise if I'm too shallow to see it as a "triumph over prejudice" or whatever people brand this supposed victory as, but to me, it's the most straightforward case of freak-showism there's ever been.

This makes Eurovision null, and void in terms of the art form that is music, as it's exactly the music, which nobody pays attention to anymore.

So, what's the worst that could happen - underlying tones, themes or stories in the lyrics put forward by entrants in order to portray the current social state of said nation...

Improvement in understanding or communication on an international level just because of some song contest?

Seems like a benefit to me.
Jero

Con

Jero forfeited this round.
Lovelyritametermaid

Pro

Lovelyritametermaid forfeited this round.
Jero

Con

Jero forfeited this round.
Lovelyritametermaid

Pro