Ore_Ele
joshuaXlawyer

The Existance of Beauty

Ore_Ele

Pro

Define:
Beauty:Beauty is a characteristic of a person, animal, place, object, or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning, or satisfaction.
Exist: have an existence

Existence: being: the state or fact of existing; "a point of view gradually coming into being"; "laws in existence for centuries"

If my opponent would like to accept, I will begin in Round 2.

Thank you,
joshuaXlawyer

Con

i accept your def's you may begin
Ore_Ele

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate, and thank him for being so flexible.

I shall construct my debate in multiple rounds, rather then posting my entire argument this round.

Based off of the definition provided, we know that Beauty provides "perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning, or satisfaction." However if we look at pleasure, meaning, and satisfaction, we see that all of those are subjective to the person, therefore, beauty itself is subjective to each person. We've all heard the phrase, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," well, it happens to be true. What you see as beautiful, may or may not be the same that I see as beautiful.

I will end this round on this, and wish for my opponent to express whether or not, he believes in that, that beauty is subjective. Of course, he is free to post any pre-counter arguments if he wishes.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

"Based off of the definition provided, we know that Beauty provides "perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning, or satisfaction." However if we look at pleasure, meaning, and satisfaction, we see that all of those are subjective to the person, therefore, beauty itself is subjective to each person. We've all heard the phrase, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," well, it happens to be true. What you see as beautiful, may or may not be the same that I see as beautiful."

We both agree it is subjective, as however since it is a subjective opinion on people or art i suggest that the thing we call beauty non-existent and does not have a tangible form and cannot really exist. As people might say that she is beautiful and some say not then we cannot prove such that she is and therefore we must say beauty cannot be proven or exist.
Ore_Ele

Pro

I thank my opponent in agreeing that Beauty is subjective and depends on the person for what, if anything, they find as beautiful.

If I were to prove that sharks exist, I only need to show that 1 type of shark lives in 1 place. I would not need to find every type of shark, nor would I need to find them everywhere. The same applies for beauty. I only need to find one source of beauty for one location, to show that beauty does exist. For this, I can turn to myself and what I see as beautiful. By knowing that beauty exists to me, we know that beauty does in fact exist.

What we cannot do, is prove the existance of objective beauty. But our original definition was a definition for subjective beauty (since objective beauty cannot be defined, as it does not exist).
joshuaXlawyer

Con

Yes Beauty is Subjective However beauty is an illusion of the mind it doesn't have a physical form or trait like lets say Heaven was a very beautiful place and say in the bible everyone would enjoy heaven however this fact could not be true if beauty is subject the fact of the matter is nothing can be beautiful or ugly its a delusion of the mind a personal prefrence its the whole point of this debate was too see if you can prove that everyone in the world could believe a single object or person in the world be beautiful if their is such an object the tangible beauty or factual beauty exists as in its a fact not a personal prefrence.
Ore_Ele

Pro

I thank my opponent for this debate. As this is the final round, summations of the debate are all that ought be done.

For whether or not beauty exists, both my opponent and I agree that it exists subjectively to each person. And since it exists subjectively, we know that it exists. Even though no one can prove that beauty exists in total objectivity, objective beauty is not what was defined in the first round.

I encourage all voters to consider the agreed definitions while going through this debate.

Thank you,
joshuaXlawyer

Con

All voters must go to my side since Beauty cannot be a factual thing and cannot be proven for any object or person..
Posted by KikoSanchez182 6 years ago
KikoSanchez182
The problem is obviously the contender agreeing to any debate on a perception existing. Given that a perception is an internal/private phenomena, an individual can always say it exists, but can never prove it to another. Never agree to debunking a perception, semantical gridlock awaits.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 6 years ago
quarterexchange
Ore_ElejoshuaXlawyerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Even though beauty exists subjectively it still exists.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
Ore_ElejoshuaXlawyerTied
Reasons for voting decision: "Beauty cannot be a factual thing and cannot be proven for any object or person" - it was never supported that this is the meaning of "to exist"
Vote Placed by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
Ore_ElejoshuaXlawyerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was a little disappointed with this debate. There were a lack of examples, and a lot of arguments were just repeated and the debaters basically just said "my point was not proven wrong". I had to vote Pro because even if beauty exists only in thought, it still exists. It is not tangible, but not al things have to be tangible to exist. My thoughts are not tangible, yet I know they exist.