B_Brutal
Luimm

The Existence of Beauty

B_Brutal

Con

Beauty doesn't exist, it has simply been altered too much from an original form and lost it's meaning, redefinition of beauty makes it a defined term rendering it void of any true existence. The only way for beauty to exist is linguistically or through opinion. However, since linguistically society has changed the definition through time we can never accomplish true beauty. Furthermore, being a matter of opinion and having opinions vary it cannot exist in a singular state from person to person. So, if everybody sees beauty differently, then it's an ever-changing theory, an idea, and cannot exist as more than that.
Luimm

Pro

I find this to be a very interesting topic. You seem to have thought about this a lot, and as such, I am intrigued to debate with you.
B_Brutal

Con

So, do you think beauty is plausible if everyone's perspective is different and it continues to be reformed without ever relating to anything other than societal standards?
Luimm

Pro

Beauty is not a objective idea. It is quite the opposite, and as such cannot be defined as a single set of traits by any one person.
To answer Con's question, no, that is not what I think. I very much appreciate your opinion, however your statement that the idea of what beauty is has continually been altered by societal standards alone is far from the truth. I will not deny that the media has given beauty a more unrealistic standard, however we are not controlled by society, and simply because we are told to see people with glasses as beautiful, does not mean that we will.
Beauty is nothing like it was years before, and it shouldn't be. Similar to the English language, technology, and even style, our definition of beauty will continue to change, adapting to our surroundings. This is what separates us from the a-biotic.
In Con's first round argument, he says," The only way for beauty to exist is linguistically or through opinion", in this statement, he very much contradicted himself. Beauty is based almost entirely through opinion. We as humans have had similar ideas of what beauty has been, but it has never been fact. Simply a common interest in opinion.
Finally Con finished his last statement stating that if beauty is opinion, and not fact, then it must not exists (I'm paraphrasing). My response to that is that beauty is the same as any other belief. Christians believe there is only one true god, and ancient Greeks believed in many, this does not mean that either is any less true because atheist deny the existence of any deity. Similar to the theory of relative truth, this would mean that since I believe in one version of beauty, it is relative to me. Your relative idea of beauty is no less true because of my relative idea, however they are both true to either me, or you.
when Con said, "we can never accomplish true beauty", could we have in the past? And if so, would that have been because we can judge everyone on the same basis? I believe true beauty means the loss of individuality.
Beauty cannot be defined by a society. It is only a aesthetically pleasing array of attributes obtained by a person, or thing, as such, almost completely influenced by by an individuals relative opinion. We cannot achieve true beauty, and this is is good, for it would mean the end of individuality.
B_Brutal

Con

Your argument is very true, however, if beauty is not a singular idea can it have true existence? Thank you for debating with me on this subject it is much appreciated.
Luimm

Pro

Beauty cannot have any physical form, however I believe that it very much does still exists as an ideal, which I deem to be a true existence. However that would be claiming that ideals can have truth, when they are significantly opinionated. To me, this means that beauty is a truth, but relative, but I completely understand either view.

This was a very interesting topic and I too enjoyed it very much, thank you for the opportunity, and happy weekend ^-^.
Posted by Iacov 1 year ago
Iacov
You claim beauty doesn't exist because to confirm it, it requires a opinion and it's standards are constantly changing by the same standard do you believe intelligence exist?