The Existence of God (Christian)

In this debate, intend to discuss the God of the Christian origin. As Con, I will be arguing that God does not exist. Thus my opponent will be arguing that God does exist. I wish to take this debate seriously, anyone that can prove that God is real, should accept.

God: A divine, supernatural, omniscient, omnipotent, personal, supreme being that is thought to have created life, moral values, and the universe.

Theist: Having the belief in a god/gods.

Atheist: Lacking the belief in god/gods.

Creationism: the belief that the universe and living organisms originate from specific acts of divine creation, as in the biblical account, rather than by natural processes such as evolution.

Evolution: the process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the earth.

Omniscient: All-knowing, knows past, present, future.

Omnipotent: having unlimited power; able to do anything.

Faith: strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

First round is acceptance only. Second round will be for arguments only. Third round and on is for arguments and rebuttals.

A forfeit is an automatic loss.

My accepting the debate, you accept all the definitions and rules. If you would like to question a rule or definition, please specify in the first round.

Do not limit your duties. Many religious debaters limit their task to proving that there is a possibility that God exists. This is obviously unfair, for I am arguing God does not exist, my opponent is arguing that God does exist.

Merriam Webster

I am a Christian. Particularly a Baptist. I do believe in God. I believe that God sent his son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. I also believe that when Jesus ascended into Heaven after He was raised from the dead that the Holy Spirit entered believers. So let me ask you this one question. Do you hate God? And if you do why?

Thank you for accepting this debate Pro, and I look forward to its outcome.

“So let me ask you this one question. Do you hate God? And if you do why?”

Let me ask you this one question. How can I hate something that doesn’t exist?

“As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.”

Psalm 18:30

“You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Matthew 5:48

“The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; “

Psalm 19:7

From this evidence we can conclude without a doubt that God is deemed perfect. Something is deemed ‘perfect’ when it fits completely to an ideal standard of that thing, which entails that it cannot be any better. Therefore a perfect thing will have no flaws, defects, lacks, weaknesses, disadvantages; it will not possess any negative feature or lack of a positive feature that pushes it away from the ideal perfection. Since God is perfect, it cannot create imperfect things thus losing its perfection.

Things that we call "perfect" are usually exaggerations of real things. For example, you might wonder what a "perfect friend" might be like, yet no one has a perfect friend in real life. Anyone who says that they do is probably exaggerating. The same goes for intimate partners, children, pets, parents, bosses and employees, teachers, students, schools, jobs, and so on. Perfection in any of these categories tends to be an idealization of real things, where the good aspects are preserved and perfected while the bad aspects are eliminated. We can infer something said to be "perfect" is unlikely to exist because perfect things tend to be nonexistent idealizations of real things. Since perfect things are unlikely to exist and God is a perfect thing, it follows that it is unlikely that God exists.

• God is a perfect being that created the universe.

• If God exists, then the world is perfect before the creation of the universe.

• God would not make the world worse in virtue of his moral perfection.

• If God exists, then the world is perfect during and after the creation of the universe.

• If God exists, then the world is perfect.

• The world is imperfect.

• Therefore, God does not exist.

Now onto my second point.

People seem to believe that God is the most moral being in the universe. Part of this belief is that God does not have certain kinds of feelings. Although God may have the feeling of anger, God does not have the feelings of lust or envy. Moreover, part of this ordinary concept of God is that God knows more than anyone else. In particular the ordinary man supposes that God knows (at least) all that men know. However these two beliefs, once correctly understood, are logically incompatible.

A person who knows lust and envy has at least had the feeling of lust or envy. Since God has all of men's knowledge and more, he must know lust and envy. But to say God has known lust and envy is to say that God has had the feelings of lust and envy. But this is incompatible with God's moral goodness. Hence God does not exist.

• If God exists, God has not had the feelings of lust or envy therefore not intruding on his moral existence.

• If God exists, God exists as a being who knows at least everything man knows and more.

• If God exists as a being who knows at least everything man knows, God knows lust and envy.

• If God knows lust and envy, God has had the feelings of lust and envy.

• God does not exist.

Now onto my last point.

The Christian God is defined as a personal being that is all-knowing. According to Christians, personal beings have free will.

In order to have free will, you must have more than one option, each of which is choice. This means that before you make a choice, there must be a state of uncertainty during a period of potential: you cannot know the future. Even if you think you can predict your decision, you can never know with entire certainty what the future holds since you have free-will.

A being who knows everything can have no "state of uncertainty." It knows its choices in advance. This means that it has no potential to avoid its choices, and therefore lacks free will. Since a being that lacks free will is not a personal being, a personal being who knows everything cannot exist. Therefore, the Christian God does not exist.

I would like to thank my opponent very much for accepting this debate. This is the end of my response as I have stated my three arguments. It is now time to hear my opponent’s arguments. I look forward to the next round and wish my opponent the best of luck.

The Holy Bible

Well I am glad to know that you know about a topic and still disagree instead of just disagreeing to something for no real reason. God does exist. Just because you can not put him in a mathematical formula or scientific equation does not change whether or not he exists. You basically said that if God really existed then there would be a perfect world with perfect morals am I correct? But God gave us all something special. Free will. If He made ours choices then we would be like robots. Also, God did not create sin nor did He intend for there to be any sin in this world. But when Adam and Eve's made their choice perfection went away. But people cannot blame Adam. Because the Bible says that when you reach the age of accountability then you will account for ALL your sins.

Thank you for that short response.

“You basically said that if God really existed then there would be a perfect world with perfect morals am I correct?”

This sounds like a rebuttal, but whatever, yes that is what I said.

“But God gave us all something special. Free will.”

This sentence is a fallacy. If God is to exist at all, it impossible for anything to have free-will, so saying that God gave us free-will is false. God is defined as omniscient, knowing past, present, future. Since God knows what the future holds, then it is fixed. There is no changing this, no free-will. So it is impossible for him to give anyone free-will.

“Also, God did not create sin nor did He intend for there to be any sin in this world.”

God is omnipotent, so he has the power to erase sin. He is also omniscient, so he knew there would be sin if he created the world. He knew this yet went on to create it, so he did intend to have sin. Even if the impossible happened, and God did not intend to have sin. He could easily erase it.

“But when Adam and Eve's made their choice perfection went away.”

If God exists, then it is impossible to make any choices, so this sentence is a fallacy. God also knew that the perfection would go away.

This is the end of my rebuttal since Pro didn’t really state any real arguments.

It is impossible for a God to exist.

The Christian God is labeled as having these characteristics: omnipotent, omniscient, supreme, supernatural, personal being. If the being does not hold these characteristics, then this being is not a god.

Now I’d like to focus on omnipotence and omniscient. First of all, it is impossible for any being to be omnipotent. An omnipotent being is thought to be able to do anything. Including being a married bachelor. Since being a married bachelor is impossible to do, an omnipotent being cannot do everything, thus losing its omnipotence. Thus if this being loses omnipotence, it is not a God. God does not exist.

Also a being cannot be omnipotent and omniscient. An omniscient being does not have free-will because it knows what it will do in advance. Yet not having the ability of free-will contradicts omnipotence. A being cannot be omnipotent or omniscient at the same time, it is impossible, something has to give. Since something has to give, this being cannot be a god.

I look forward to my opponents rebuttal and arguments. Since my opponent hasn’t presented any arguments yet (I don’t think so) I look forward to them next round. Thank you!

God is all powerful and all knowing. But I believe that sometimes, God lets us make a certain decision and wants to see how we turn out. No God did not create sin, and yes He has the power to erase it. But the world will one day end. And everyone will be taken up to the judgment throne. "It is written: "As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God." Romans 14:11. Also, the Second Law of Thermodynamics states that, :...that in a natural thermodynamic process, there is an increase in the sum of the entropies of the participating systems..." This means that the universe is moving from order to disorder.

hayhen13 forfeited this round.

TheodoreKreis forfeited this round.
Posted by Atheism_Debater 1 year ago
Posted by criticalthinking27 1 year ago
To challenge one to debate the existence of God is to set yourself up for failure. You can not prove he does not exist and vise versa. Are you familiar in the believing paradox? It says that there is no negative to believing in God. If you do believe and there is something then you have made the right choice however if you believe and there is nothing you will not be able to be upset because there is nothing. Although if you do not believe and there is something then you have made the wrong choice.
Posted by Andrea39 1 year ago
Ugh the challenge has been for someone to bring indisputable facts not to quote bible stories and question his anger issues about God!!!:( I believe in the "Christian" God and that pissed me off. the truth is proof is only found when someone sincerely and completely asks God for proof. The proof is something you know inside your soul not your head. There is a lot of physical proof but it will go unrecognized because the spirit and soul connection with God are all that give that "stuff" meaning. No person can successfully debate you. But if it's not just a debate that you want but an answer to the question.....if there is a God then ask Him if He cares enough about you to show you the truth.
Posted by jsgolfer 1 year ago
Really. Both trying to prove something that is impossible to prove. One cannot disprove or prove the existence of God. I thought people knew this.
Posted by TheCalmCanadian 1 year ago
Con has put his tryhard pants on.
Posted by RavenDebater 1 year ago
Best of luck to both parties. This will be an interesting one
Posted by Reliable 1 year ago
I am going to watch this one closely
Posted by 1281992 1 year ago
How does one accept?