THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix
Mixer

The F.D.A. should not ban flavored Tobacco

Mixer

THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix

Pro

Hello before i begin id like to start by saying it's weird to be back after almost a year of absence from my old username "the_conservative". Apparently i wa pretty controversial haha, but let's begin.

As we all know a little while back our President Barack Hussein Obama signed legislation giving the Food and Drug Administration power to regulate the manufacturing, marketing and sale of tobacco, which can give them power to ban flavored Dip such as "Skoal Apple" or Chew such as "Beechnut Moonshine" etc. because according to these organizations it is "appealing to youths".

Spared from the proposed ban were tobacco products such as Skoal Straght, Grizzly Straight, Copenhagen Longcut,etc... The reason these were excluded from the ban is because these are not "flavored" as opposed to "Natural tobacco flavor"

Now remember the proposed ban was to supposedly protect the youths. (if you think they actually care about the youths anyways you got a lot of learnin to do)
Well, my very first dip was when i was 15 was Copenhagen Longcut a NON-FLAVORED DIP. and i been dippin ever since.

So i assume some of you may be saying right now "Well thats you, thats not what every kid might try for the first time"....Okay well if 100 kids purchase or try dipping and 50 of them dip a flavored one and the other 50 dip a non flavored one for the first time i can guarantee you they will become equally "addicted".

If i was a kid ad i was curious about dipping, and i saw a bunch of Natural flavors instead of Fruit flavors i guarantee you id still try it.

Here in the Marine Corps and pretty much every military branch everyone walks around with a fatty pinch in. My preferred is Copenhagen maybe you should try it, its pretty good.
Mixer

Con

Hello. I would like to start by thanking my opponent for starting what I am sure to be an interesting debate.

I would like to start off my argument by summing up my opponents points from each paragraph, and after each, I will give a short rebuttal.

1. There was a new law passed that gives the FDA power to regulate flavoured tobacco products
I would like to point out that just because they have the power, doesn't mean that they will automatically ban it.

2. Some tobacco products were omitted because they are not flavoured.
There is not really much I can argue here. It is a fact.

3. My opponent's first dip was non-flavored, and he is now addicted.
Great. Nicotine is powerful. No matter what kind you tried first, you will most likely try more because your body wants the nicotine.

4. If you try different kinds of tobacco, you will have the same effect.
That argument states again that nicotine is powerful. I agree. The premise is not whether they would get addicted or not. The premise is that the FDA should not ban the flavored tobacco. You have not provided any evidence that they shouldn't.

5. Kids would try all different kinds of chew
I disagree, and I will argue that later.

6. My opponent is in the marines, and EVERY SINGLE PERSON has a dip in. Also, he has shared his preference.
I disagree again. Not every single person has a dip in. Furthermore, who cares what kind you like?

Contention 1
Kids are more likely to try and get addicted to tobacco that is flavored than tobacco that is non-flavored or "natural" flavor.
Kids are given a lot of information in elementary school. Two of those things are:
1. Fruits are good.
2. Tobacco is bad.
When a child starts to develop more, they start to make associations with their surroundings. If they have grown up eating fuits, and liking them, or eating a lot of fruit candy and liking it, they will be more likely to try more fruity things.
If they associate the good thing, fruit, with the bad thing, tobacco, they will be much more likely to try it than if they were to associate the bad thig with a neutral thing.

I was a little bit rushed for this argument, so i hope it is good enough. I look forward to your response.
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix

Pro

Sorry to get back so late as i am a busy man these days with training. I see my opponent has got the personal attack game accomplished with his little "Furthermore, who cares what kind you like?", well who the hell cares about your existence? Anyways.

1. I never said the F.D.A. is banning it. At all. The Title is The F.D.A. SHOULD NOT ban flavored dip. Never said they ARE or going to. The title does not imply that they Will, but the PROPOSED BAN DOES.

2. My opponent's 3'rd argument is extremely improper."you will most likely try more because your body wants the nicotine." I know many people who have dipped both flavored and non flavored dip, and have never dipped again, although the nicotine was in their system. Also the guy who left the first comment on this debate can agree too.

3. My opponents 4'th so called "point" was that i did not provide any evidence. This is correct. This is common sense. All about morality bub.

4. My opponent must also be a stickler about technicalities also. He tried quoting me and failed at that, but, 10 out of 10 people i see dip. My whole platoon dips. So therefore everyone i see and am surrounded by in the USMC dips.

5. My opponents little "Contention" was one of the most hysterical things i have ever seen. Bub. First off it is just the flavor. Fruits arent the only dip flavors bub. There is wintergreen, mint, whiskey, bourbon. Bub the reason they are fruit flavored is because most people like that instead of the burn from the hardcore dips.

There is no reason to ban flavored dips because 24 kids might try that instead of a straight dip
Mixer

Con

Before i begin, i would like to thank my opponent for replying to the debate, as i though he wasn't going to respond at all.

"I see my opponent has got the personal attack game accomplished with his little "Furthermore, who cares what kind you like?", well who the hell cares about your existence? Anyways."
In a debate where you are arguing about law, an opinion of a flavour does not matter. The second part is Ad Hominem and doesn't matter.

Let's begin with the counterpoints

1." I never said the F.D.A. is banning it. At all. The Title is The F.D.A. SHOULD NOT ban flavored dip. Never said they ARE or going to. The title does not imply that they Will, but the PROPOSED BAN DOES."
The title does imply that they will, and that you don't agree with it, therefore my point remains valid.

2."My opponent's 3'rd argument is extremely improper"
No it isn't. It wasn't an argument. it was a summary of your paragraph.

3. "My opponents 4'th so called "point" was that i did not provide any evidence. This is correct."
I could just stop debating right here, because he just admitted that he has no evidence, but i won't. If you do not have any evidence, you don't have an argument.

4. "My opponent must also be a stickler about technicalities also."
Yes i am.
"He tried quoting me and failed at that"
I was paraphrasing, and i succeeded.
"My whole platoon dips. So therefore everyone i see and am surrounded by in the USMC dips."
That is not what you said. In that quote, you limited it to your platoon in the marines, and before you said "Here in the Marine Corps and pretty much every military branch everyone walks around with a fatty pinch in." That insinuates that in the marines and most other branches, every single person has a dip in.

5. "My opponents little "Contention" was one of the most hysterical things i have ever seen."
I'm glad you had fun while reading my debate.
"First off it is just the flavor. Fruits arent the only dip flavors bub. There is wintergreen, mint, whiskey, bourbon."
I was just using fruit as an example because it is the most common.
"Bub the reason they are fruit flavored is because most people like that instead of the burn from the hardcore dips."
I agree. Not having the burn makes it easier to chew, children have a lower tollerance for pain, so they are more likely to try the one that will give them less pain.

"There is no reason to ban flavored dips because 24 kids might try that instead of a straight dip"
Where did you get that number from? There is a reason, and that is that children are more likely to try it if they are there. You have posted Ad hominems but little else.

This was... interesting. I had fun
Posted by Mixer 7 years ago
Mixer
thank you sam, but i believe you forgot an 'n'. :)
Posted by thatsbalone 7 years ago
thatsbalone
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix, you're a idiot.
Posted by leet4A1 7 years ago
leet4A1
"They are filthy digusting human beings...God, I can't even call them human. It would be an overstatement. They don't deserve even that."

Lol. Do you drive a car? Use electricity?

"I don't care if they have problems at home, problems at work, blah blah,"

You show no compassion for others and yet expect others to care that your father died?

"tobacco-related diseases are the most preventable you will ever find. And that's a fact. Look it up. I would know it."

What do you care if other people wish to commit suicide? And provide bulk tax dollars in the process?

"My father died from lung cancer which was caused by secondhand smoke. The really sad thing is, there's no one in my family that smokes. Which means he got cancer just from people who were smoking outside his work, just on the streets, maybe some of his friends smoked, etc, etc."

How do you know it was caused by second hand smoke? Did he drive a car? Do you live in a city with motorists?

"Thanks alot smokers. You cost me everything."

Any time.
Posted by yeahyeah21 7 years ago
yeahyeah21
The fact that you know that they are targetting children and don't care is disgusting.

You know what, I wish the government would ban tobacco smoke altogether but come on--we know that's not going to happen. They make so much money out of taxing them, it's sickening. And tobacco companies don't care. They know their regular customers are addicted and no one's going to persuade them otherwise. They are filthy digusting human beings...God, I can't even call them human. It would be an overstatement. They don't deserve even that. I don't care if they have problems at home, problems at work, blah blah, tobacco-related diseases are the most preventable you will ever find. And that's a fact. Look it up. I would know it. My father died from lung cancer which was caused by secondhand smoke. The really sad thing is, there's no one in my family that smokes. Which means he got cancer just from people who were smoking outside his work, just on the streets, maybe some of his friends smoked, etc, etc.

Thanks alot smokers. You cost me everything.
Posted by Mixer 7 years ago
Mixer
I also agree with pro, but i thought i could beat him in a debate considering his opening arguments.
Posted by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
I agree with Pro in this Debate, the US Government should not have the power to control any private organization in any way. With that said my voting went like this:

Tie for Conduct, this was a very civil debate.
Con for grammar.
Con for convincing arguments.
Tie for sources as none were cited.
Posted by THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix 7 years ago
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix
"The title does imply that they will, and that you don't agree with it, therefore my point remains valid"
Take this for Example. "MLB is proposing a ban on Metal Spikes" Just because they propose it doesnt mean they WILL do so. "The F.D.A. should not ban flavored dip". Not saying that they ARE going to ban it...but that if they WERE, or THINKING ABOUT, the SHOULD NOT. Its rather simple.

(My opponents verbatim in regards to my second point) "No it isn't. It wasn't an argument. it was a summary of your paragraph" Lets take a look shall we? Mixer said "Great. Nicotine is powerful. No matter what kind you tried first, you will most likely try more because your body wants the nicotine."
Now parts of his statement are inaccurate which make his "point"....what was the phrase....Extremely Improper

That is not what you said. In that quote, you limited it to your platoon in the marines, and before you said "Here in the Marine Corps and pretty much every military branch everyone walks around with a fatty pinch in." That insinuates that in the marines and most other branches, every single person has a dip in. - Yes i am sorry i was not as extremley as specific, but i shouldve added that every person i see in the other branches dip also.

And yes Mixer is correct. I did not povide any evidence. Which he is right, i lose right there. But, being a stickler he is, i am sure he jizzed his pants over winning this debate, i just liked t ostick to moral thing where evidence is not as aprreciated as they are with Stickler. I mean Mixer.

Semper Fi
Posted by mattrodstrom 7 years ago
mattrodstrom
I tried "dippin" and it was alright, it's gets you kind of like you've had a couple o' drinks. However, I decided not to make it a habit when I saw pictures of people who have their jaw fall of from mouth cancer.
Vote Placed by thatsbalone 7 years ago
thatsbalone
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remixMixerTied
Vote Placed by BellumQuodPacis 7 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remixMixerTied
Vote Placed by THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix 7 years ago
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remixMixerTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remixMixerTied
Vote Placed by John_Jameson 7 years ago
John_Jameson
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remixMixerTied
Vote Placed by tmhustler 7 years ago
tmhustler
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remixMixerTied
Vote Placed by Mixer 7 years ago
Mixer
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remixMixerTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remixMixerTied