MyDinosaurHands
Lexus

The Federal Government Should Make Smoking Illegal

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

MyDinosaurHands

Pro

Title says it all, I think. First round is for acceptance.
Lexus

Con

Pro is making a change in the status quo, thus they have the burden. This isn't to say that I won't argue against this, but due to the nature of the burden falling on pro, my constructive arguments cannot be held againt me, but can be held against pro.
Good luck, looking forward to a great debate.
MyDinosaurHands

Pro

Here's the very simple premise. Smoking is bad for people; smokers and those around them. Therefore we should make it illegal. Now I'll just get around to proving that smoking is bad for people, which is kind of a formality, but I would ask readers to really pay attention, as there's some striking stuff in here.

Smoking accounts for 1 in 5 of all deaths in the US[1]. When you consider the numerous ways in which someone could die, that is pretty staggering.

Smokers live 10 years less on average, in comparison to non-smokers[1].

Smoking stunts lung growth, and if you're one of the 9 out of 10 smokers who starts by age 18, your lungs are still growing. This will result in underdeveloped lungs in the long run, which causes others problems: Chronic Bronchitis, Emphysema, and asthma[1].

The act of smoking is an assault on your immune system, meaning a smoker's immune system is in use far more often than a non-smoker's. This overuse leads to a weakened defense against illness[1].

Smoking makes it harder to get pregnant, and once pregnant, smoking increases the chances of miscarriage, early birth, and deformities. Even if one manages to not smoke during pregnancy, those that smoke after or have even smoked before are at an increased risk of seeing their baby die of SIDS[2].

Second hand smoke has been classified as a cancer-causing agent. Non-smokers who live with smokers are at an estimated 20-30% increased risk of developing lung cancer[2].

Non smokers who live with smokers are at an estimated 25-30% increased risk of developing heart disease, and 20-30% for strokes[2].

"Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of SIDS, ear infections, colds, pneumonia, and bronchitis. It can also increase the frequency and severity of asthma symptoms among children who have asthma. Being exposed to secondhand smoke slows the growth of children's lungs and can cause them to cough, wheeze, and feel breathless.."[2]

Those smokers who do not quit after being diagnosed with cancer have a 30-40% lesser chance of survival[2].

Smokers are 30-40% more likely to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes[3].

Smokers are at an increased risk of developing osteoporosis, a disease which reduces bone density and leads to increased chances of bone fracture and breakage[3].

"The chemicals in tobacco smoke harm your blood cells and damage the function of your heart. This damage increases your risk for:
Atherosclerosis, a disease in which a waxy substance called plaque builds up in your arteries
Aneurysms, which are bulging blood vessels that can burst and cause death
Cardiovascular disease (CVD), which includes: a02;Coronary heart disease (CHD), narrow or blocked arteries around the heart
Heart attack and damage to your arteries
Heart-related chest pain
High blood pressure

Coronary Heart disease, where platelets' components in the blood stick together along with proteins for form clots which can then get stuck in the plaque in the walls of arteries and cause heart attacks
Peripheral arterial disease (PAD), a condition in which plaque builds up in the arteries that carry blood to the head, organs, and limbs.
Stroke, which is sudden death of brain cells caused by blood clots or bleeding.

Breathing tobacco smoke can even change your blood chemistry and damage your blood vessels. As you inhale smoke, cells that line your body"s blood vessels react to its chemicals. Your heart rate and blood pressure go up and your blood vessels thicken and narrow."[3]

"Smoking is as bad for your eyes as it is for the rest of your body. Research has linked smoking to an increased risk of developing age-related macular degeneration, cataract, and optic nerve damage, all of which can lead to blindness."[3]

And, obviously, it's addictive[1][2][3]. Almost 80% of smokers want to quit, and the vast majority consider themselves addicted, and consider their habit to be dangerous to their health[4].

Smoking poisons your body, plain and simple. To further reduce the number of people who partake in this harmful act, we ought to discourage it by making it illegal. We owe it to people who smoke right now, and we owe it to children growing up right now. Will the widespread sale of cigarettes be illegal by the time they reach the prime age to get hooked? Or will we allow them to fall prey to this addictive, cancerous, debilitating poison?

[1] http://therealcost.betobaccofree.hhs.gov...
[2] http://betobaccofree.hhs.gov...
[3] http://www.cancer.gov...
[4] http://www.webmd.com...
Lexus

Con

Lexus forfeited this round.
MyDinosaurHands

Pro

MyDinosaurHands forfeited this round.
Lexus

Con

Lexus forfeited this round.
MyDinosaurHands

Pro

MyDinosaurHands forfeited this round.
Lexus

Con

Lexus forfeited this round.
Posted by salam.morcos 1 year ago
salam.morcos
Can you guys and gals let me know when you create a new debate. I am interested in this debate.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 1 year ago
MyDinosaurHands
It's all good
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
You can send airmax a PM with me included so I can say that I agree. Sorry for the hassle man
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 1 year ago
MyDinosaurHands
That sounds like a good idea.
Posted by salam.morcos 1 year ago
salam.morcos
That would really suck. If pro is up for it, I'd recommend that you restart the debate (cancel it with airmax and rewrite the same arguments)
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
I honestly hate doing this but I might have to forfeit R2 just because of time constraints. I will have enough time for R3 and R4, but right now I just can't
Posted by salam.morcos 1 year ago
salam.morcos
Another good debate. I see a good trend lately. I'll be following this.