The Five Points of Calvinism Are Not Taught in Scripture

Resolution: Calvinism, believed on by many Reformed theologians, is not taught in the Bible, and is therefore not an accurate view of salvation, our relationship with God, etc.

Definition: Calvinism, put briefly, is the belief that humanity has no choice in salvation; that each person is "chosen" by God to be with Him in eternity or damned to Hell forever. It consists of five points: Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irrisistible Grace, and Perserverence of the Saints ( In order for Calvinism to be true, all five points must be shown to be true Biblically, (The King James, New King James, and English Standard Versions of the Bible may be used; I ask that no other versions be brought up.).

Also, pointing out that great preachers such as Charles Spurgeon, John Edwards, etc. believed in Calvinism is not supportive evidence for this debate. I am asking for Biblical evidence, nothing less.

It is Con's job to show where each Point of Calvinism is supported in the Bible. I thank my opponent in advance for accepting this debate.

Hello my fellow opponent and those who are watching this debate:

My opponent topic is Calvinism is not taught in the Bible, it's my responsible to oppose that opinion.

First of all, let's us list the main 5 points of Calvinism again:

The Bible as said in James 1:14,15 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

Human, who as the Bible stated, "Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee."(Eze 28:15), but we had been deceived from God, Satan, the father of lies came in, took over human's minds and dragged us to sins, and from then, sins had been grown and strongly became an epidemic in our lives.

It's the Total Depravity of life, we are depraved, depraved from God.

John 15:16 " Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you"

You still remember that parable of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew?

Matthew: 13:5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

13:6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

13:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

13:8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

God Himself, holds the future, of both heaven and earth, so is human's heart. God's choice is based on our heart, He sees the future, and He'll know whom to sows that precious seed.

The Bible stated in Revelation 5:9 "And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;", also in the Gospel of Matthew 1:21 " And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. "

2 Corinthian 5:21 "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. "

If Jesus had died for my sins, God can't still punish me for those sins, therefore, we need to know whom Jesus died for, which is now, indicate that Jesus sacrifice on the cross is the salvation, but it will only actually wash only the sins of the believers.

This doctrine tells us that the elect will be saved and God will overcome the resistance of of that person, makes that person to obey the Gospel.

This, I'll need to study more, but I'll give you this Bible verse:

Titus 3:5 " Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; "

The Bible said in Ephesians 1:13 "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise"

If one day, the Leaders of all nations want to arrest you, do you think you have any chances to escape? Then God, the Holy One, the ruler of the whole universe sealed you in His hand, how do you think you'll escape the Salvation?

As Jesus said in John 10:28 " And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

So tthere are no "ex-Christian", because those who have the true faith in Him shall never be perished and shall never be snatched out of His hands.

Hope to see your argument soon, I'm not too good as debating, so therefore please excuse my vocabulary and my arguments.

Once again, thank you for taking this debate.

This is generally the point that most Christians claim to believe. I actually call myself a "Point Five" Calvinist (as in, .5); meaning that I halfway agree with this particular belief, but none of the others. The part I do not agree with, however, is that unsaved people cannot do anything good whatsoever. This is obviously not true. An unsaved person is able to do good; the problem is that his/her nature is bad until salvation.

As for Con's verses, I do not understand how they argue for Total Depravity. James 1:14-15 shows the consequences of sin, Ezekiel 28:15 is either talking about the King of Tyrus (vs. 12) or Satan (vs. 13).

In John 15:16, Christ is talking to the disciples, whom He obviously chose. This is not a blanket statement for all of the "elect". Even if it were, however, notice what is being said: "…that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain…" This is not salvation; He is choosing them to spread the Gospel, and saying that the fruit of their labor (those saved) will remain saved (eternal security).

Matthew 13:5. Notice verses 18-19 in the same chapter: "Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower:
"When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart." Notice how in the following verses as well, the seed is not the person, but the Word.

"God's choice is based on our heart, He sees the future, and He'll know whom to sows (sic) that precious seed."(Quote from Con). This parable is actually an argument against Calvinism, as the Seeds (The Gospel) are sent to everyone, not just those who are the "elect".

Once again, Con's verses do not seem to line up with the Point. These verses are simply stating that Jesus can save us from our sins.

Not to be mean about it, but it would be appreciated if Con could check for grammatical errors in each argument from now on. I am having some trouble understanding what is being said after the verses for this particular Point.

I will address the verse Con quotes, then await for more on this particular Point: Titus 3:5 is simply stating that "good works", the things we do, will not get us into Heaven.

This particular Point is often misconstrued to be something that it is not: simply the belief in eternal security. Con's verses and arguments seem to reflect that. Point Five is more than that, however. It is stating that a saved person cannot be backslidden for a long time; that a person is not saved if he/she remains backslidden. To me, this is actually a pseudo-version of works based salvation, since a person must maintain good works in order to be considered "saved". To believe this, one has to believe that a saved person has no free will.

I maintain that the Five Points of Calvinism do not stand the scrutiny of the Scriptures, and await Con's rebuttal.

theCall forfeited this round.

Nothing more to add.

theCall forfeited this round.

Nothing more to add.

theCall forfeited this round.

MrButtons22 forfeited this round.

theCall forfeited this round.
Posted by LOVEISKEY 5 years ago
The title of this debate is ridiculous. If you are looking for the word "TULIP" in the Bible, then no, it doesn't say that. If you focus on God's attributes as an unchangeable and all powerful God, then you cannot believe that man, in his fallen state could choose to make a good decision without God. Our free will without God will always choose wrong. Every passage in the Bible that freewillers/"inherently good people" use to defend their ability to choose God, is refuted everywhere in scripture. Faith is given to us. Faith is what makes a person born again, and you are not born with faith. Faith is not a choice that you can create, Faith is given by God. Common grace is what we are all given that allows us to understand and be responsible for our own destruction. Faith is given so that man will not pat himself on the back and say "what a great choice I made, man I am really great aren't I". You are dead in your sin until God gives you faith. "for by grace are you saved through faith, that not of yourself lest any man should boast".
And just to add to the discussion, the word "chosen" is used several times to describe our relationship with God in scripture. We have a will, but anyone sheltered from God's "special Grace", will not make the right "choice".
Posted by MrButtons22 7 years ago
I personally do not like the NIV; I feel that it is not an accurate translation of the Bible. I don't like The Message, The Living Bible, or The New Living Translation either. As for the others I have not mentioned, I don't know enough about them to make an informed decision on them.
Posted by theCall 7 years ago
Why not use the NIV?
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Yeah rouge you should be in that list to. I just forgot ya lol
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
I used to be, but the topics and opponents got old. I agree with PRO too much on this to make an argument against it.
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
InquireTruth KRFournier wjmelements mongeese and myself are the most actice Christians/theologists.
Posted by MrButtons22 7 years ago
Haha, no, not really. It's a technical religious thing. I'm doing this partly because I want to see if there's anyone on this site that knows anything about theology.
Posted by Nu-cleur021 7 years ago
Like Calvin and Hobbes?
Vote Placed by logicinlife 1 year ago
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago