Willoweed
Crevaux

The GOP house hasn't passed 2 bills that are good for America

Willoweed

Pro

The GOP house (2011-current date) has not passed more than 2 bills that have benefited the country.
There are two extra rules.
1) Bills that maintain the status quo do not count.
2) the CON side cannot post new bills during the lat round.
Crevaux

Con

I accept this debate as I do believe the 112th Congress has passed at least two laws that have, to some extent, benefited the country. Now, to clarify a couple things, I will only present bills that were passed by both branches of Congress (i.e. the House of Representatives and the Senate) and signed by President Obama, which means that all the laws put up in this debate were either begun or ended in the Republican House. Also, while the title of the debate says that 2 good bills have not been passed, the first round changes the terms by saying that MORE THAN two good bills weren't passed. I will hence use the second definition.

Also, to avoid any misinterpretation of my views, I would like to point out that I am not a Republican, nor do I approve of the majority of its propositions. But my goal is to prove that at least two bills were passed by the House of Representatives that either have or will in the near future benefit the country.

So herein, I shall list the bills that I believe have been good for the United States:

- The Comprehensive 1099 Taxpayer Protection and Repayment of Exchange Subsidy Overpayments Act of 2011. This bill basically repealed the past requirement there was that mandated any individual to report any contribution to profit corporations that exceeded $600. This bill protects individual from government intrusion into their lives and restore partly the constitutionality of the legislative branch, as the private life of individuals is, with this bill, less harmed.

- The Leahy-Smith America Invents Act. This act changes the first-to-invent to a first-to-file system in patent law. Considered a major step toward patent reform, it guarantees more innovation as the inventors do not automatically receive a patent for a creation, thus establishing temporary monopolies on certain items.

Pro now needs to contradict my argument by stating why he believes these two bills (or only one of them) either did not change ANYTHING or if it did change something, why it did in the negative sense.
Willoweed

Pro

First I would like to thank my opponent for entering this debate, not for entering it but because his responses have been the best compared to the other 2 similar debates I started.

1)A) The 1099 repeal. Might have fixed a small problem for some groups but it also caused other problem for other groups. For example in order to replace the lost revenue the house made it so families whose income mid-year increases above the threshold will lose their health care subsidies/benefits for the first half of the year and get charged an extensive sum (around 4,500) for the first half of the year.
B) Also if a family during the first half of the year makes over the threshold and then the bread winners lose their jobs they will not be able to get health care because for the first half of the year they had a job, and were above the threshold.
C) Tucked into the 1099 repeal was a repeal of "the free choice voucher". This voucher allowed companies to provide employees with a voucher so that they could buy their own insurance on the exchanges. This voucher would have increased insurance competition by allowing people to shop around for their health care.
D) The 1099 proposal wasn't very detrimental to the economy. The 1099 law ended the loophole that allowed some corporations to not file the paper work and pay the tax. Since this 1099 law applied to certain corporations before the loophole was ended there have been software programs created that can do the paper work in a matter of minutes. One example of this software is Quickbooks. http://quickbooks.intuit.com...

2)A) The switch away from a first to invent patent system to a first to file system could be bad for startups and small business, given that large corporations have more resources, and better lawyers meaning they can more easily file patents; while startups and small businesses don't have the same resources meaning it takes them longer to file.
B) The change doesn't fix the major problems with Americas patent office, 1 being it takes years even up to 8 for a patent to be granted by the office due to such high backlogs. http://www.inventionstatistics.com...
The second problem being patent hoarding and trolling where large corporations just file as many random patents with slight variations that they can and then threaten sue any other business that puts out a product similar to one of their patents.
Crevaux

Con

Crevaux forfeited this round.
Willoweed

Pro

Willoweed forfeited this round.
Crevaux

Con

Crevaux forfeited this round.
Willoweed

Pro

Willoweed forfeited this round.
Crevaux

Con

Crevaux forfeited this round.
Posted by Willoweed 5 years ago
Willoweed
The bills do not have to have passed the senate or been sighed by Obama. If one an show that a house passed bill that didn't become law would of benefited America that bill counts.
Posted by Crevaux 5 years ago
Crevaux
I accepted the challenge but one clarification. I will use the title definition, rather than the round one. Because while in the title, it asks for only two bills, the round asks for more than two.
Posted by DanT 5 years ago
DanT
If they "have benefited the country", than they must have also passed the Senate, and have been signed into law by Obama.

The only bills passed by the 112th congress was the 2011 United States federal budget, the Budget Control Act of 2011, and the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act.

The Cut, Cap and Balance Act, and the Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act, both would have been benificial, but only passed the House, and died on the senate floor.
Posted by BennyW 5 years ago
BennyW
You specify passed but if congress passed them and Obama vetoes them does it still count?