z1
WillRiley

The Giver (book) has a relation to the story of Adam and Eve (Bible).

WillRiley

z1

Pro

This will be a short debate, but I'm sure an interesting one. The reason I think that The Giver (book) and the story of Adam and Eve (Bible) is the change that happens. I'm not saying that they are the same story of course, I'm just saying there's some sort of relation. I believe that they are alike because in The Giver, everything seems to be perfect, although their are no feelings. In the tale of Adam and Eve when they eat the Apple, they become more aware of their surroundings, they get feelings. Of course, they get new feelings of pain (As in The Giver), and also feelings of shame (their clothes). They both sort of get these feelings through an apple, where in Adam and Eve they eat it, Jonas seems to realise it's different color.

My sources are The Bible (Genisis 2-3), and The Giver (Book).
WillRiley

Con

Thank you for making this debate. I hope that, while it is small, it can get us, as well as the voters thinking.

You have stated several ways that the Giver is alike to life in the Garden of Eden. However, I will attempt to show the voters that there are in fact, far more reasons that it is not like the Garden of Eden.

The Garden of Eden
I will also be using Genesis 2-3 (ESV)
First of all, Adam and Eve do not want to leave Eden. Even after they become aware of shame and pain, they still want to stay in the comfort and happiness of the Garden. The Garden has bountiful food, beautiful climate and scenery, and they are allowed to do anything they want, save eating the Apple.

The Community
The Community lacks any colour, memory, climate and terrain whatsoever, all part of Sameness and this emphasizes the dystopian qualities of the Community.
This is what Wikipedia has to say about Dystopia-
Dystopia is defined as a society characterized by a focus on negative societies such as mass poverty, public mistrust, police state, squalor, suffering, or oppression, that society has most often brought upon itself Most authors of dystopian fiction explore at least one reason why things are that way, often as an analogy for similar issues in the real world. In the words of Keith M. Booker, dystopian literature is used to "provide fresh perspectives on problematic social and political practices that might otherwise be taken for granted or considered natural and inevitable".

I believe that I have show the sharp contrast between The Garden of Eden society of Genesis, and The Community of The Giver.
Please, I urge you to vote Con.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Advice: If desiring a one round debate, just open it as an opinion topic instead.
Vote Placed by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
z1WillRileyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con articulated their point better
Vote Placed by Mags2 2 years ago
Mags2
z1WillRileyTied
Reasons for voting decision: You both used the same resources ( genesis) but I think con expanded more on the subject
Vote Placed by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
z1WillRileyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con explained The Giver and not just the bible. Pro had 1/2 an argument because they never tied it in to The Giver.