The Gold Standard should be reestablished

CharlesGrey has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/15/2016 Category: Economics

Google docs are not a violation of conduct

I accept (as agreed by PM).

I have a refutation for my opponents claims coming in the next round, unfortunately I have found I did not have time to complete it this round and was racing to complete it with half a day left and so now I will just lay out a small part of my argument. As a result this round will be a little sparse.

No countries currently use the gold standard. Instead modern solutions similar to the gold standard are used, this is why nations like China, Russia, Italy, the USA ect stockpile gold reserves [1] not fully on the gold standard but with enough gold reserves to give their currency meaning. When economics experts were in America were polled on this they commented universally that in reality the Gold standard was not something that would have benefit in the US [2].

The main idea of the gold standard is the idea that it provides stability, this is mainly a way of controlling inflation, and the problem with inflation is that it has a link with unemployment [3] [4], therefore when you instigate a policy designed to control inflation you will almost unavoidably massively increase the unemployment rate which would cause chaos in an economy racked by unemployment [5].

So yeah sorry this is a little shorter than probably expected however I will make up for it next time with a full argument and rebuttal.

[1] gold reserves.png

Hold on a second, my opponent has dropped my entire argument about the consitution! Then he responds to my argument ht a gold standard would hlp the US ecnomy, but with an opinion of economic "experts," these being the same "experts" that say that you deal with nflation by printing more money. {1}
I think I debunked the theory of inflation being the antithesis of unemployment, but for some reason during the housing buble and the recession of the 1970's inflation accmpanies unemployment, infat it was the Fed's easy mony policy which facilitated the housing buble, leading to high unemployment rates!

Posted by ASG 3 months ago
for Charles Grey Round 3.

1. The constitution must follow economic logic. It is not above a challenge.
2. The 'US' economy is not relevant. The gold standard may or may not be superior.

I do not know much about this. Gold is a tough metal. If you build a home out of it, it will last 4000 years, maybe more (it does not erode). This makes your home valuable as opposed to say wood or ordinary stone. Exchange of goods is based strictly on the goods themselves. A gives B an apple and takes a pen in return. The extent of gold in A or B's pocket is not relevant here.I may wish to buy some gold with my wages because I assume the price of 'gold' will never tend to zero. The apprehension that a currency is linked to a nation is apparent. My wages may be converted to pesos in a new nation.