The "Good Guy" vs The "Bad Guy"

In this debate we will be arguing Good vs Bad in the scene of, in any comic or movie or peace of lititure there is most always a Good and Bad person; for example take Joker and Batman, or any of the evil villains.

For this debate we will be fighting weather it'd be funnier to be taking the role of the Bad guy or the Good guy; For instance I say it would be "funnier" or better to be the part of the villain in a movie or comic, etc. You being pro will defend that it is better to be the hero or "good guy" in such.

1) Acceptance/First statement

Thank you for this debate.
I argue being the good guy is funnier. For my examples, I will start off with the Lego Movie. (Good guy=Emmet)

I'd like to set a couple of things for now:
A villain (also known in film and literature as the "antagonist," "baddie", "bad guy", or "black hat") is an "evil" character in a story, whether a historical narrative or, especially, a work of fiction. The villain usually is the antagonist (though can be the protagonist), the character who tends to have a negative effect on other characters.
Hero/Good guy:
A hero (masculine) or heroine (feminine) (Ancient Greek: O73;`1;`9;`2;, hM03;r!3;s) refers to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self-sacrifice"that is, heroism"for some greater good of all humanity. This definition originally referred to martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.

First off thank you for accepting, now I haven't done a debate in sometime so please go easy on me, ha ha.

Now first I'd like to bring up is, in most things the Hero or "Good guy" goes by limits or have Limitations such as not killing or, you have to do it in a certain way. When is comes to that of the "Bad guy" their limitations are less, in most cases its limited to what is at their disposal.

Next I'd like to bring up what makes a good villain:

1. The Force of Nature - The villain who the heroes and all of their collective resources can't seem to make a dent in. Maybe it's through his own power, maybe it's through the infallibility of his schemes, but he always seems to win or at least have the last laugh. Joker would fit here.

2. The Tragic Villain - A tortured soul who is made a villain through no fault of his own. He's cool because he has depth, and whatever difficulty there is about stopping him is increased due to the hero's own moral qualms about doing so.

3. The Schemer - There's something really intensely satisfying about a good old fashioned Machiavellian plot maker. My personal favorite is Archibald Cunningham from the movie Rob Roy. Best villain ever. So put on your feathered hat, pet a large white cat, and make a few schemes.

4. The Fallen Hero - Betrayed by his ideals, the fallen hero turns his back on his life of nobility and begins pursuing his goals in a much more sinister way. Two Face is a good example of this, perhaps with a bit of tragic villain thrown in.

Ok, so I will argue good guys are better/funnier (never mind about the Lego Movie, I was too absorbed in the "funny" category.)
Normally in stories the heroes win, so I will start off with "happy stories". (exceptions are tragedies, cliff-hangers and horror stories, which I will get to later)
As can be seen from, the protagonist has essentially some kind of trait that allows him to beat the obstacles within his ways and basically win. Whether it's courage, or persistency, or smartness, the protagonist always ends up winning. Sure, it is difficult for him, but the villain is always beaten down. Because of the impossibility of the villain winning within these "happy stories", it is thus better to be the hero. Nobody wants to die! (And dying is not funny in any way)

Now, onto tragedies, cliff-hangers, and horror stories.
Horror stories--actually, impossibly, being the hero is probably more exciting/funny than being the villain. The villain just provides the epic, creepy horror plot twist, while the hero, trying to avoid being trapped, nevertheless ends up dying anyways. Hey, others' failures are our laugh! (kind of like how comedy movies work. You fall, you get LOLZ)

Tragedies--well, the villain may be winning in this kind of story, and tragedies are opposite of comedy. So how can it be funny for any of them? Oh yes, tragic heroes. There's a reason they're called tragic HEROES, because they are good guys, just with terrible flaws that lead to audience groaning and moaning, only to let them fall. It is sometimes actually funny seeing the hero fall, for example, in Julius Caesar, Caesar is so arrogant, ignoring the soothsayer, while Cassius is plotting RIGHT BEHIND HIS BACK. If that's not funny, what's funny? (this is also very comedic, in cartoons such as Popeye, one episode the girl narrowly avoided all the obstacles, causing the audience to laugh. Another good example is a stupid protagonist, such as Inspector Gadget, completely oblivious to anything happening around him, even though his dog and young daughter/nephew can solve the case. Seriously, Gadget is so stupid (no offense) that even his dog can solve the case he can't solve! Again, going back to the point of funny--the villain in the show was very malicious, not a comedy character at all!)

Cliff-hangers--similar to horror stories, except you don't know what's going to happen. Arguably the villains and the protagonists are equally funny.

I'm very tired, and I have to sleep, so I'm only going to post one more point.
Tragic Flaws within "happy stories"--just like tragedies, except a protagonist's tragic flaw in "happy stories" only are an obstacle. However, sometimes this "tragic flaw" can be humorous. One example is within the movie Bolt, in which the dog thinks he's weak to styrofoam. Let me repeat that, he's afraid of styrofoam!! If you don't think that's not funny, you have a horrible taste of comedy. No offense.

Actually I lied. I will post yet another point because I can.
"The Comedy Character"--normally the "comedy character" is sided with the protagonist (with the exception of Home Alone and its sequel). Good examples are Frozen's Olaf, Aladdin's Genie, Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa, The Lego Movie (which, arguably, the protagonist IS the "comedy character"), MLP:FiM's Pinkie Pie, (the book) Romeo & Juliet's Mercutio ....(shall I list more?)
The comedy character, coming to its name, is supposed to prove a humorous addition to the story. Without them, the story has lost its funniness. (one great example being Mercutio dying, which officially turned the story around into a tragedy)
Now, I know you're probably going to rebut back, possibly with "pro contradicts himself--MLP:FiM has a comedy VILLAIN as well, and his name is Discord!" Well, I tell you, Discord is certainly a fun character and humorous too, but it's actually only for the sake of adding onto his personality of being twisted and chaotic, making puns and breaking fourth wall many times. Besides, Pinkie Pie does the same thing Discord does, only many many many more times, and because such, she is funnier.
In conclusion the protagonist is funnier than the antagonist. (Yes, I know you will use Home Alone and its sequel. Good luck with that. I'm too tired to post more.)

G2;k;4;m =8; diShow Spelled [kom-i-dee] Show IPA
noun, plural com"e"dies.
a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion.
that branch of the drama which concerns itself with this form of composition.
the comic element of drama, of literature generally, or of life.
any literary composition dealing with a theme suitable for comedy, or employing the methods of comedy.
any comic or humorous incident or series of incidents.

You seem to be entangled with the aspect with funny or comedic effect in movies and things so I thought I'd go with it as well, first let"s take a look at some of the more comedy centered characters (Of course this will be centered around the villain.) To list some I find funny or the types of things at least I find funny in a evil character stand point, first Joker (From Batman whether it be the comic or movies) now sure he has a "messed up" scene of humor, being the rage inducing psychopath that he is, with a personality that centers around sociopath. Next other villain such as Lex Luther (from Superman), now people such as Lex have a more serious tone around them but any good villain needs a little limelight.

Next I'd like to bring up the "Plot Armor" what we find in most story surrounded by the main character, now this is a slightly "unfair" advantage to the "Good guy" I mean when do you ever see plot armor around a villain? Now I know there are some but not nearly as Meany as that of the Hero or "Good Guy". Now for those whom don not know what plot armor is: Plot Armor (also known as Magic Bullet Shield, as seen in map scripts) is an informal term referring to a character's unusual ability to survive infinite damage, due to their importance to the story.

A story couldn"t simple kill off a main character without hurting its "flow" or feel, as described above; but with a villain they are disposable and can easily be replaced. With this said there are lots of stories who need to keep the main villain or (Bad guy) due to them being beloved or something of the sort.

Like pro I do not have much time to write this, I am currently in the middle of a class and well my teacher isnt the happiest of person right now with me so I must get going. Good luck.

"A story couldn't simple kill off a main character without hurting its "flow" or feel" Actually, it could. Horror stories only add to their feel, tragedies as well, and especially heart-warming stories. One great example is the book "How to Live Forever". It tells a heart-warming story, in which a boy lives his life fully before dying. Now that's heart-breaking! The whole point of the story was to tell people to respect their lives and live them out, kind of like the movie SAW, except much much more family friendly.
And even if the main character dies in a "happy story", they always somehow get out of the Underworld, or Heaven, or Hell, or wherever they're trapped. A good example of this is how Odysseus technically "died" by going into the underworld and visiting there, narrowly really dying and having his soul sucked out of his body. This only intensifies the story.
As for the Joker, if you were being him it would only be funny if you were as insane as the Joker himself. Otherwise your heart would eventually break for Batman and say "aw shucks I don't want to be the bad guy any more. I really don't want to torture Batman!"
"villain they are disposable and can easily be replaced." Not really, especially if the villain is incredibly difficult for the main character to defeat. If in a chronological series, it is best to keep the main villain alive. One example is Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. The villain, Olaf, is kept alive because his slyness and greed keeps him going on, showing the bad things in life happening to the poor orphans. Another example is MLP:FiM's Discord. Keeping Discord alive adds more "fun" and "chaos" into the show as well as twists and turns, allowing for more unpredictable episodes. However, just like the Joker, being Discord won't exactly be funny unless you love extremely disrupted environments.
In conclusion it would be funnier to be the good guy. The bad guy normally has a flaw that makes him have a different sense of humor, and unless you have the bad guy's sense of humor, it won't be funny being the bad guy. The good guy, on the other hand, is just a normal person in most stories, sometimes with super powers or weird abilities, but they have the sense of humor normal people have, and because such, it is funnier to be the good guy.
Besides, good guys always win in "happy stories".
Dying isn't funny, especially when you're the bad guy! (because his punishment matches his crime, most times)
so, vote pro!