BirdieMachine
mbyx9jk2

The Government rules through fear

BirdieMachine

Pro

Fear is the Governments greatest weapon. They use fear of Jail/Imprisonment, fear of terrorism, fear of job loss/destitution, fear of force/bodily harm/death.

They use fear real, imagined or created to control and enslave the population. Akin to the Mafia on a much greater scale. Give us your money so we can protect you.
mbyx9jk2

Con

*I am happy to accept this debate on the side of CON in this case - BirdieMachine good luck*

You initial statements are interesting and open a "can of worms" that I'm more than interested in speaking about; though the term government is rather open and can lead us down various avenues.

Governments and in fact all leadership structures are kept in power by one method, which in is support. Support of the military, support of the rich and support of the people are just some of the examples of what have kept governments in power.

Fear is not a weapon used by just governments. Fear in those cases is a response to negative connotations created by situations.

Take your example of fear of imprisonment. The reason for imprisonment is to remove unwanted actions from society. It acts as both a detterent and punishment for those who consider harming others or other unlawful things. Imprisonment is a representation of a collective agreement of the masses to exclude negative behavior and requires structures to be in place to enforce these systems - Hence governments/leadership structures.

You've used statements such as fear of terrorism & fear of force/harm as examples of how governments rule. I feel this is the reason governments were created in the first place.

Negative actions are countered other actions. You prevent harm by making things safer. You prevent loss of jobs by providing a stable, growing economy. All these things require leadership to function and this is represented as a Government.

While I'm not disagreeing that some governments and leaders all over the world do things that we don't agree with or cause "fear" to you and I - I feel that your argument would need to be more specific regarding the actual "government" in question to rather than a sweeping generalisation to encompass all governments.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: KeyserSoze115// Mod action: Removed<

5 points to Con (Conduct, S&G, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: I agree with con

[*Reason for removal*] Not an RFD, just a statement of the voter's agreement with a given side.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
Well, apparently that was a mistake. I went through about 25 votes today, and yes, sometimes they are confused. I apparently misplaced this one, and so I'll correct that.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 10 months ago
PowerPikachu21
This debate too? There's no fire_wings in the votes, and RFDs are needed. I'm starting to think whiteflame IS a bot, and is malfunctioning.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: fire_wings// Mod action: NOT Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Con had a longer argument.

[*Reason for non-removal*] No RFD is required for this debate and, as such, votes are not moderated.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: Eshan13// Mod action: Removed<

6 points to Con (S&G, Arguments, Sources).. Reasons for voting decision: CON made better and for the explanation of their arguments

[*Reason for removal*] Not an RFD. The voter just restates part of their decision without any analysis.
***********************************************************************
Posted by BirdieMachine 10 months ago
BirdieMachine
Harassed by Police for being Black or paying extraordinary fines and taxes?
Posted by BirdieMachine 10 months ago
BirdieMachine
Not sure we all benefit from this system. Innocent people have been killed on death row. Do we benefit being spied on and groped by TSA agents?

Responsible good people will do whats morally right and immoral people will find ways around the laws.

Plato said a similar comment.
Posted by Vox_Veritas 10 months ago
Vox_Veritas
That's correct. Governments use force to make people behave, and we all benefit from this system.