The Harry Potter series is superior to the Twilight saga.

I had a lot of fun arguing this with another person, and I'd love to debate it again. Lets set out some ground rules:

1. This debate is foremost regarding the books, not the films (movies). For this reason, arguments like "the Harry Potter special effects are bad" will be invalid.

2. Remember that this is a debate promoting why one seires is better than the other, not an opportunity to bash either one. For this reason, arguments like "Harry Potter has no real plot" will not be valid, unless they are followed by saying "whereas Twilight does have a plot because so-and-so".

3. Debators can't make empty comments like "Twilight is best because Harry Potter sucks". It needs to be backed up by information or have a proper explaination that serves as faesable evidence.

I'd like my opponent to begin the debate in Round 1 (this round).
"Better" is basically including plot, characters, messages, story line, depth, writing technique, and things like that. Please accept and post your arguments!

1ST ROUND IS NOT ACCEPTANCE! See last paragraph

Ok it watch both movies and I really don't like any,but if i really had to choose it would be twilight.First twilight made $191,195,655. Also harry potter is very boring, and I am not the only that thinks that. Lots of people think it's very boring.

Also mostly all thee media says that twilight is better than harry potter.

If this is not already a poor argument (I will state below) Con has violated a few rules which I set out.

Q1: "Ok it watch both movies and I really don't like any,but if i really had to choose it would be twilight."
It's great that you enjoyed the movie but rule one does state that this argument is about the books foremost, and this is the focus of the debate. I state that any arguments regarding the films/movies are invalid.

Q2: "First twilight made $191,195,655."
You broke the second rule by not promoting one series above the other, but rather stating facts about one. (ie: you should have given the amount that Harry Potter made) You didn't state whether this was how much the books made, the films made or how much they made combined. I'm just going to clear this up for voters. The Harry Potter books have sold 400million copies, wheras the Twilight books (plus The Host) have sold 10million copies. [1] Frankly I think that bringing money and stats into this debate is unwise and unreliable as Harry Potter has 3 books on Twilight, and has been around about 8 years longer. I'm just putting voters' minds at rest here.

Q3: "Also harry potter is very boring, and I am not the only that thinks that. Lots of people think it's very boring."
This sentance violates both rules 2 and 3. You violate rule two by giving an empty comment (Harry Potter is very boring) and giving absolutely nothing to back that up with. Explain why it's boring if you think that. Boring characters? Boring plot? Boring descriptions? If you think this please explain why. Simply stating that Harry Potter is boring is not really an argument.
Also, rule 2 says that you have to compare. It's great that you think HP is boring, but are you saying that twilight is not?
Personally I find Twilight extremely boring. Reasons?
Bella has very little personality. She never gets excited or even happy about anything, always comes across as bored and never does anything spontaneous. Reading a character that just conforms to everyday life, moans about the weather and never says anything interesting, makes quite a boring read. Also, Edward has no imperfections or quirks. He is the archetypal hot boyfriend. He doesnt have anything that makes him different! He isnt funny or witty, he doesnt come out with interesting lines, he doest propose that they do fun things together. He, like Bella, never does anything spontaneous, just because. We never see him getting a thrill out of something, or just doing something random for fun. He is, like Bella, so boring to read as he is like every other heart-throb character out there. Both of the main characters are just chlich'es.

I believe that HP is better because every single character has depth and is quirky and interesting. They all have more than what they come across as. Hermione comes across as a boring know-it all, but we find out that she has a lot of depth. She has confused feelings about people she loves, she has a great deal of regret about what she did to her family (I'm not spoiling) and she is fiercely loyal. I'm not going to go on about every HP character as I feel I have made my point.

Okay I understand but really the Pro's statement does not do any thing but correct my statement. Like I said the media favor twilight more. Now the pro did not say any thing about that because it is true. Every body loves twilight, not just girls but boys too.

" the Pro's statement does not do any thing but correct my statement"
Not true. I gave quite a lengthy paragraph on how the HP characters have so much more depth and personality than the Twilight characters, resulting in a more entertaining read.

" The media favour twilight more"
Proof? The website you provided on the first round was an ETV article talking about the films. See rule 1.
The second site is a blog post. I'd just like to quote some of the arguments this site gives
"1. Robert Pattinson, can you say HOT?
2. Taylor Lautner, I mean, have you SEEN those muscles?"

3. Kristen Stewart. An extremely talented and beautiful actress."

All about the films. See rule 1.

4. The Volturi. REALISTIC villains, instead of freaks in cloaks, like Voldemort.

Realistic? The reason they hate Cullen is because he betrayed the "secret vampires" rule. So what do they do? Throw a massive scene in the middle of Volturra.... where of course no humans would see/hear about them. Unrealistic much?
Voldemort and the death eaters are villains because they beleive in a superior race and want to wipe out everyone who is of dirty blood or who is a blood traitor. Sound a bit like Hitler to me. Pretty realistic.

5. Its just common sence to like twilight!
.Just like it's common sense to know how to spell the word "sense". Also common sense to like Twilight? Let's define common sense.
Good sense and sound judgement in practical matters
I think the word they're looking for is conformity.

6. Because it's one of the greatest love stories ever!! Twilight has way more hot guys....EDWARD, JASPER, EMMETT, CARLISLE!!
So th hot guys again? Does this mean that it will appeal to boys, children, adults and the elderly in the way which Potter does? Not really. It means it will appeal to some hormonal teenage girls.

7 In Harry Potter it takes 7 or 8 books to get to the point
Writer clearly hasn't read the books. Irrelevent to the debate.

8. Look at Harry and you'll see he's more angsty than Bella
Harry is a kid who had a great responsibility of saving the magical world thrust upon him by Dumbledore. Thousands of people hate him and think he's a liar. He didnt ask for any of this and has the lives of millions of innocent people in his hands.
Bella is a teenager who chose to get with a clearly dangerous guy and then can't deal with the consequences of her actions. Note the word "chose". Harry didnt ask for anything, Bella however asked for everything that happened to her.... And so it's bad that Harry is more angsty. Of course he would be! He has way more to deal with.

9. Edward wasn't a dork. Harry was a bit too dorky and I can't see why girls even liked him.
So Edward was shallow and devoid of personality (and as the writer mentions a lot, sexy) and he got a girl. Harry was nerdy but was funny, charming, witty, lovable, kind, compassionate and brave. He got a girl.
Yeah... and the writer thinks Harry is the loser here? Put it in perspective

There are so many more points which this post says which are 100% incorrect. One is that all of Hermione's problems are self-created and that she should quit Hogwarts (this would make her strong like Bella!?) Sorry but when you have issues and you decide to stay in school, it doesnt mean that your problems are self created.

Your second example uses arguments like how the twilight box sets are nicer than the Harry potter ones, how the Twilight movie logo is cooler than the HP logo, and another is how the Harry Potter author isnt as famous as Meyer. Rowling's only made $700 000 000 more than Meyer right?

Your third example is a copy of all the arguments in the first one. And every single one of the comments is disagreeing with the forum poster, which I find pretty funny.
I understand that you didnt write these websistes, but when an E!TV article and two blog posts with arguments about the characters good looks and how the box sets are prettier are the best sites you can find to prove your point about Twilight having better media reception, there's something wrong.

ras2000 forfeited this round.

Vote pro!

ras2000 forfeited this round.

Riversidegirl4life forfeited this round.

ras2000 forfeited this round.
Posted by Mrparkers 4 years ago
Isn't this purely subjective?