JBphilo
Hakoda

The Holocaust persecution of Jews was not racist

JBphilo

Pro

Firstly, I of course I am not justifying the Holocaust. Racism is not the only thing that leads to persecution! Judaism is a religion and not a race. Whilst I think it wrong to persecute religious people I think that many would mistakenly argue they were persecuted due to their race. Racism definition: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
Hakoda

Con

I accept your challenge. Though I would like to mention Jew or Jewish is a race. Descendants of those who were Hebrew in olden times. Yes Judaism was a religion as well, however it too was based on race an ethnical background. I do wish PRO the best of luck in this debate and I am looking forward to an interesting debate.
JBphilo

Pro

Here is my argument.

P1: Jews are followers of the religion Judaism
P2: Racism is persecuting one due to their race
C: Therefore persecuting Jews is not racist

I believe the only place for you to attack here is P1.
You will probably assert that the word 'Jew' has a dual-definition. However, I hold that the word Jew is either (and not both) describing a person of religious belief or someone of a certain race. I argue that the original meaning of Jew would be someone following Judaism (a religion). If we have a dual definition there is a problem as then someone who is classed as being from the Jewish 'race' could still renounce their faith. Thus making them no longer Jewish (as Jewish requires following a religion).

Do we call all Asians 'Buddhists'? No, because that would not make sense as an Asian could renounce their faith, just as, I argue, Jews can.
Hakoda

Con

In order to state my argument I would first like to clear up exactly how the holocaust started.

The hatred of Jews was not at all created by Hitler, rather he built of of anti-Semitic views of many of the Germans.
Many of you may be wondering what does anti-Semitic mean? Well so I don't just throw around my definition of the word I will show what Merriam-Webster says.

Anti-Semitism: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group.

This proves that Jew is a race. Not Judaism just Jew.
Jew does not necessarily have two definitions rather it almost like a homonym. Jew is a follower of the religion Judaism or could be a race which descends from the Hebrews.

I would also like to ask you a question. If the Holocaust was in fact not based on race than answer me this. Why was Hitler trying to make the perfect (Aryan) race? And if he wished to create this race why on earth would he need to exterminate Jews? He wasn't trying to make the perfect religion. He did this for the same reason he persecuted other ethnic groups such as the Polish or the Arabs. To construct the perfect race. Hitler and the Nazis targeted Jews or those they thought were Jews using physical features that supposedly all Jews have. I'm sorry but you could not pick a Christian out the crowd based on physical features. You said so yourself you can't call an Asian Buddhist.
JBphilo

Pro

JBphilo forfeited this round.
Hakoda

Con

Hakoda forfeited this round.
JBphilo

Pro

JBphilo forfeited this round.
Hakoda

Con

Hakoda forfeited this round.
Posted by Hakoda 2 years ago
Hakoda
Hey everyone. I appreciate your opinions on this matter, however I would appreciate if u didn't make comments on which side is right. Like in a real debate competition people outside the debate aren't aloud to voice there opinion. I don't want to win or lose based off of others' opinions. Thanks for understanding.
Posted by Chrystahist 2 years ago
Chrystahist
The holocaust most definitely had racial undertones. Nazis would report names from local synagogues, as well as classify anyone who was raced a Jew.
Posted by Emilrose 2 years ago
Emilrose
The Nazis identified the Jews as an ethnic group, so technically it was.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
JBphiloHakodaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Duel FF.