Eris2005
18SenseiJuan

The Holy Bible: Not the only Testament? #BookOfMormon

18SenseiJuan has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Eris2005

Pro

I just want everybody to know that this debate is intended for people who are already Christian. I fight for the rights of the Book Of Mormon, which I will occasionally refer to as BOM. I will allow my opposition to start with the first argument, as well as their position. Just a heads up, you can use as many words as you want. I am going to try to stick to the same word count for overall fairness. After you, Challenger.
18SenseiJuan

Con

I myself am a Christian. I am very familiar with the Holy Bible. I have also read the B.O.M., Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine and Covenants a couple of times. Although, I do not believe in Mormonism, I still have great respect for Mormons. I am NOT bashing the Book of Mormon, I am simply participating in a healthy and wholesome debate. :) Okay....

One of the doubts that I have concerning the Book of Mormon is the role women have in the B.O.M. In the Bible, women are judges, they lead wars, they are prophets, they are unafraid to defend their families. Meanwhile, in the B.O.M...
When women are allowed to rule, everything goes to hell in a hand basket. 2 ne 13:12

See 2 ne 13:16-17,26, 14:4. 15:14

Women don't get or need spiritual witnesses it seems - Alma 19:9

The great and abominable church is female, hell is female, uncleanliness is female (admittedly wisdom is female)

Jesus of the Book of Mormon uses negative female imagery - but in the Bible never does
see 3 Ne 20:41
Eris2005

Pro

Now I can finally appreciate a good, healthy debate like you said. Too many times people are very angry and rude, thanks for the kindness.

Many people who have read the B.O.M. have noticed the lack of women rights. I myself have not noticed the Bible heroines, if you could share some verses in the next round, that would be nice, I want to see those. In the meantime, I'll take your word for it. It is explained in the B.O.M. that women are not 'lesser' or anything, they just have different roles then men. For instance, it is very hard for someone by themselves to take care of their family (if they have kids) because its a two person job. Men and women share different responsibilities, and just like in real life, that is also seen in the B.O.M.. It should also be noted that women can take part in major things, just like in the Bible. Back to your example, in the beginning of the chapter, we see in the summary that it is only the daughters of Zion that are punished, meaning that they were responsible for their sins, not all women, which you suggested. In verse 26, the verse was explaining their punishment for doing worldliness things. That sounds bad at first, but as any good father would do, a spoiled child may need to be punished, or else they will grow with their bad traits.
See Jacob 5:4

In Alma 19:9, the queen sees her husband "dead" on the floor. She doesn't feel anything feeling Spiritual, however, she has faith (as explained in the next verse). Ammon then revives the king with the power of God. As you know, God asks us to simply have faith.
I cannot at the moment explain the reasons of the 'she' in 3rd Nephi, but the B.O.M. says that the roles of a woman are very important. Elder John A Widtsoe says:

"The place of woman in the Church is to walk beside the man, not in front of him nor behind him. In the Church there is full equality between man and woman. The gospel, which is the only concern of the Church, was devised by the Lord for men and women alike” (Improvement Era, Mar. 1942, p. 161).

This is supporting gender equality in the Church.
In Corinthians 11:11 it says: "Nevertheless neither is man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
Thus proving that God loves His daughters and sons equally.