The House would License Parents

Resolution: This House would License Parents.
License: Distributed and Monitored by the State
Parents: Adults seeking to become legal guardians of a minor.

1st Round Acceptance
2nd Round Standard
3rd Round Standard

I recognize this is a 'silly' topic. Arguments such as 'ridiculous' will be ignored.

24 hour timer.
1000 character limit.

Footnotes (a number and a URL) may be provided in the comment section to conserve characters. Be sure to specify which speech your footnotes are for.

Looking forward to a great debate. Cheers.

Parents should be licensed based on the principle of the greater good. 'Parent' is an adult seeking to become the legal guardian of a minor. Licensing would be controlled by the state. The adoption process is precedent that the resolution is feasible.

Licensing parents would reduce traumatic childhoods. Four children die daily in the US due to child abuse [1]. 30% of abused and neglected children go on to abuse their own children [1]. We can end this cycle by licensing parents.

Preparation for licensing would promote parenting standards. Now parents who would have been mediocre, will have learned the skills to guide their child through growing up.

Reducing traumatic childhoods and promoting parenting standards would create better childhoods, would lead to better functioning adults, would lead to a better future. While questions may arise to rights and feasibility, the principle of the greater good trumps worries of stepping on a few toes.

Emily77 forfeited this round.

It seems this topic is cursed. This is the second time my opponent has forfeited to me on this exact same resolution and parameters. One of these days I'll get some clash.

As I have nothing to rebut and nothing to defend against, I will move on to point III.

III. Money

Licensing Parents and regulating those licenses poses a question of cost. "According to the Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy every $1 spent on home visiting yields a $5.70 return" [1]. In addition, child abuse and neglect directly costs the US $124 billion a year [1].

If Emily77 is still active on DDO, I welcome them to rebut my points in the final round.

Emily77 forfeited this round.

Licensing parents would reduce childhood trauma, promote parenting standards, and is cheaper than allowing incompetent adults to have guardianship of children.

It is vital for the future that our children are given the best home life we can give them. This way they can grow into strong, functional, free thinkers, that will shape our future.

I welcome Emily77 to take the last round as an opportunity to add whatever argumentation she would like. This topic is 'cursed'. I have yet to receive any clash on it, which is why I hope you'll check back in to DDO in time.

Emily77 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture