mee2kool4u369
Spartan136

The Hunger Games book should be mandatory in schools to read

Spartan136

mee2kool4u369

Pro

This is not a very serious topic, I love the book and think that it should be mandatory. I think children would very much enjoy reading it and it wouldn't be a super boring test (if they took a test) This shall be a friendly debate. No need to get out of line. First round is just notifying what this debate shall be like. There is a limit of 3,000 characters. This should be fun! :)
Spartan136

Con

Well good Evening to you! I also look towards a fun,positive debate with you.
The Hunger Games is without doubt one of the best books i have ever read. But, why should schools make this book a mandatory read? It all depends on the criterea faced by the people reading the said book: The kids in school.
mee2kool4u369

Pro

• Good evening to you too!

I think it is a great book, I told my grandsons about it, they read, they loved it. They actually said that they should make you read it in school. I thought that was a great idea. Therefore i started this debate.

There are many other books that they make you read in school (and I must say a lot of them are quite boring) The Hunger Games includes everything:
  • Romance
  • Death
  • Betrail
  • More Death
  • Exquisite Descriptions
I mean, what more could you want? The Hunger Games would be a great book to read in school.
Spartan136

Con

Well, i shall begin by pointing out one of your main points. You stated that the book includes "More death", correct? Well the way i see it, us chilldren of the 21st century do not need any more death. Also, making the book mandatory could hurt some sensative people that are not realy into "death". The schools are not looking to ecourage death, they seek only to educate. For example, the book i am currently reading for my highschool english course, To Kill A Mocking Bird, teaches great moral values. Books need to be tied to a lesson,and should not be made mandatory because they are great reads.
mee2kool4u369

Pro

Death is no big deal truly:

By saying more death I mean that there is sadness in the book. If no person dies or leaves I feel there is no reason to read the book. It is basically just a straight line through the whole story. The book wouldn't change your emotions if it did not have death. For the people who have strong feelings about death...well...lets just say this, you read a book in school that is mandatory that involves death already!! This is just like that but a much better book.

On a bigger reason:

Schools should teach many things that are in life (and they do) one of those things is death. Death is a part of life. There is nothing you can do to prevent it for ever.
Spartan136

Con

Death may be a part of our world today, but it does not mean that children should be exposed to it so early? For another thing, i would like to know what audience the reading of the book would be aimed at. Would it be Middle schools, high school ?
As for the death implemented in the book, i personally believe that the death in the said book goes further than JUST DEATH. The death in the book is extremely brutal! The fact that the people being BRUTALLY killed in the book are KIDS just makes matters worse.
As for the "bigger reason", i believe that it is in fact true that kids should learn about life and death, but the game in the book is beyond death, it is SICK. Twelve year old fighting Sixteen year old fighting 14 year old with whatever they can get their hands on is just SICK. The fact that the SICK game is being watched live around what used to be the USA, is just SICK. Death may be a part of life, but a brutal game where children murder other children with crude weapons is just SICK.
mee2kool4u369

Pro

If I may point out you said in the comments section "I love the book" and you are a student correct? (that blows everything you said about the book being "SICK")

This book I would say should be read in seventh or eighth grade. Middle School.

As you can see (I am not trying to be mean) everything you said in your last argument comes to no existence. With just the few sentences I said, I made an excellent backfire. (If I may say so myself)
Spartan136

Con

How exactly did my argument come to no existence?
As for me being a student, yes i am a sophomore in High school as of right now.
As for quoting me, i did not state that i loved the book anywhere in the debate, i stated that it was one of the best books i had ever read, not that i loved it. And may i remind you (without being rude) that you yourself stated that the first round was just to talk about the debate, and not actually DEBATE. Yes i made a comment, but only to reassure the people watching this debate that i have no hate aimed towards the book itself and i am just debating against it.
Plus, i may like the book, but that in no way says that i cannot think that the brutal game that goes on through most of the book is not SICK.
And you still have not picked on any of my attacks about the book being SICK. Do you agree or disagree about the games being SICK? Do you think that Children pitted against children in a televised "game" is not SICK? I wouldn't want our voters to think that you condone SICK games where children murder each other with rocks.
mee2kool4u369

Pro

You clearly said that you loved the book in the COMMENTS SECTION. I do agree that the games are (as you say) "SICK". But in the end it is just a very entertaining story.

To sum things up:

In all rounds, except for round 1, your biggest debate was death. You couldn't come up with any other things. I am sorry, but that is very sad. Overall, without any votes, I'd say that I was right in the beginning and the end. This was a great debate truly. Thank you for debating with me.
Spartan136

Con

Yes, i may have said that i loved the book in the comments section, but i in no way believe that one should tie the outcome of a debate to a COMMENT. Plus, like i said in round 4, the fact that i like the book has nothing to do with what i think the schools should do with the book. Thus, all your points about me simply stating that i like the book, seem very vague.
Now, i shall take this time to point out that my opponent actually agreed with me in Round 5.
My opponent also stated that the games are in fact "Sick". What he said seems like he is actually supporting the endorsement of sick games, since he himself wants young Middle Schoolers to read this by obligation.
My opponent stated that "In all rounds, except for round 1, [my] biggest debate was death."But i say to the voter, that i in fact spoke about educative values in Round 2, so his argument is void. He also attacked me for not coming up with any other points , but i counter by asking this to my voters: What BIG arguments did my opponent really propose other than the fact that the book is entertaining? i shall let the voter answer that.
In summation,
I believe that i made more valid points than my opponent
My opponent has agreed with me
My opponent appears to condone the brutal acts of violence in the book
My opponent has made few points, those are:Death is no big deal, Interesting book, and Fun to read.
Thus, i rest my case. The Hunger Games may be a wonderful book, but i belive that Middle School Children should not be exposed to brutal death games at such an early age. Plus, the book teaches no moral values that one could tie to life. Thank you for taking the time to read my case, have a great day! To my opponent: I thank you as well for a great constructive debate!
Posted by techguy1001 4 years ago
techguy1001
It was okay...
Posted by Spartan136 4 years ago
Spartan136
tech guy, did you like it?
Posted by techguy1001 4 years ago
techguy1001
I'm in 8th grade I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird LOL :)
Posted by Buddamoose 4 years ago
Buddamoose
The death argument was a good offense, as was the method of teaching. However he makes a fatal mistake in that death is already in books read for school. Educational Value was left unchecked whole debate, however pro chose to focus on cons description of the deaths in the book. Only 1 of which is an accurate description:

Brutal: Savagely violent
Sick: Affected by physical or mental illness

Regardless of this the deaths are still brutal and pro simply focused on how con liked the book. This does nothing to change the fact that these books are brutal. Pro could have easily brought up other books that are quite brutal taught in schools. One that comes to mind is Lord of the Flies. Thats very violent and it is children doing so.

As it stood there was one main point pro brought up:

- It is an entertaining book.

However as con pointed out for a book to be made mandatory in schools it must fit other criteria besides being an entertaining read.

Arguments: Con
Conduct: Tie
Spelling and Grammar: Tie
Sources: Tie

Take the counter away 16k!
Posted by Lordknukle 4 years ago
Lordknukle
So you measure how good a book is by its length?

Jeez...
Posted by mee2kool4u369 4 years ago
mee2kool4u369
Just saying Harry Potter is way too long. Hunger games are defiantly not very long.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
imanebench, if the debate had a duel resolution I bet pro would agree with you.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Ho hunger games gets to be in schools but harry potter doesnt?

thats bullsh*t
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
What's with the usage of the phrase "sick"
Posted by mee2kool4u369 4 years ago
mee2kool4u369
You don't have too!!! :P
(but i am glad you are)
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
mee2kool4u369Spartan136Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments are more convincing. There are so many better books to read than this book. And to make the stupid statement that it should be mandatory?!
Vote Placed by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
mee2kool4u369Spartan136Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering 16k. The vote he countered wasn't a VB. It was legit.
Vote Placed by Buddamoose 4 years ago
Buddamoose
mee2kool4u369Spartan136Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
mee2kool4u369Spartan136Tied
Reasons for voting decision: last voter never justified every single point. counter until every single point is accounted for down there.
Vote Placed by frozen_eclipse 4 years ago
frozen_eclipse
mee2kool4u369Spartan136Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con had beter refutations.....and making this mandatory ......wont have any positive effect on students . students hate being forced to read certain books, thus they dont pay attention so . this should be negated.