The Hunger Games is too overrated

Started: 4/4/2014 Category: Movies

I find the Hunger Games overrated. The plot is almost that of Battle Royale, the characters can be found in any other movie* and it's only famous because of its 12-year old fanbase.
I will leave it to that for now.

*A hero "that fights back", two lovers, an evil "mastermind"? That's the basis of character development.

I thank pro for conducting this debate

I do too agree that the Hunger Games is overrated in its own way, however you mean to say that the plot is that of B.R.
It offends me really.

I do admit there are a lot of similarities between the two, however there are many differences between the two as well.

The Plot

B.R. takes place in Japan
Hunger Games takes place in Panem (US after a civil war)

These are just two of many differences.

Battle Royale Act and the Treaty of Treason

"In the beginning of the 21st Century, the economy of Japan is near a total collapse, with high rates of unemployment and students boycotting their classes. The government approves the Battle Royale Act."[1]

"There once was a place called North America. But droughts, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, and encroaching seas took their toll. Brutal wars broke out as people fought for the few remaining resources. The earth was scarred and desolate; the people, terrified and hopeless.
But out of the ashes rose Panem; a nation made of a great Capitol ringed by 13 districts which brought peace and prosperity to its citizens for many generations.

Then came the Dark Days, the uprising of the districts against the Capitol. The shining light of our nation was clouded by war. Terrible war.
The 13 districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Their revolt left the country in tatters. Motherless children filled the streets. The land torn asunder.

After a long struggle in which many died, there came a hard-won peace. Twelve districts were defeated, the thirteenth obliterated. When the traitors were at last suppressed, we swore we would never allow such treason. Ever again!
Thus the Treaty of Treason was written and signed, providing us with new laws to live by, laws that would guarantee peace.
As a yearly reminder that the Dark Days must never happen again, it was decreed that on the same day each year the districts must offer up as tributes one courageous young man and woman to fight in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice: The Hunger Games.

The twenty-four tributes are sent to an outdoor arena where they struggle to overcome both man and nature and triumph over the odds.
Each year, the lone victor serves as a reminder of the Capitol's generosity and forgiveness.

This season is a time for repentance and a time for thanks.
This is how we remember our past.
This is how we safeguard our future."[2]

The Capitol uses the Hunger Games to In-still Fear, while safe-guarding little Hope.

The Government in Battle Royale uses the BR to keep children in place to keep children in-line, Since children were refusing to go to school. (Boycotting)

Game Differences

The Game Makers
  • The Game maker's had the Ability to make life. "Hence, the Muttation and Tracker Jacker"
  • The Game maker's controlled everything in the arena.
  • The Military only had control of the areas the Choke Collar would detonate.

The Tributes

• The Tributes of the Hunger Games we're picked, not lied to and then put on an Island without Wildlife.
  • The Tributes of the Hunger Games could have Sponsors.[1]
  • The Players of the Battle Royale Game did not.[2]
  • The Hunger Games were broadcast throughout the Twelve Districts and were widely celebrated as a "Sport" Throughout the Capitol

On to you Pro.

Yodaskool forfeited this round.

"I find the Hunger Games overrated"

That's your opinion.

"The Plot is almost that of Battle Royale..."

I don't really think I need to post my Round 1 argument again...

"The characters can be found in any other movie."

Oh! So I suppose I'll see Katniss in Despicable Me? Frozen? Finding Nemo?
Well you really didn't clarify the Genre.

"It's only famous because of its 12-year old fanbase"

Again, that's an opinion.

"A hero "that fights back", two lovers, an evil "mastermind"?"

Isn't that the plot line of most Action/Adventure Movie/Books?

Yodaskool forfeited this round.

1. Pro Forfeits X2 Rounds
2. Pro never Rebutted
3. Pro Fails to use any Links
4. Pro bases his stance off of Opinions.

Vote Con.
Posted by BlackDragon123 2 years ago
nice arguement
Posted by ScrinTech 2 years ago
@Yodaskool Dude I got waaaaay too many debates, nevertheless good luck to you.
Posted by Yodaskool 2 years ago
So a challenger eh? This shall be fun.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeits, points con.