bighead
20000miles

The Hurt Locker is a better film than Avatar

20000miles

bighead

Pro

I thought Avatar was boring.
On the other hand I thought Titantic was brilliant – a great story and history and tragedy all wrapped up in one.
Avatar was like being in Seattle for a week – with sunglasses on.
However for the the hurt locker I spent the entire film grabbing the arms of my seat. I was there in Irak, steps away from my death and the death of those around me. The tension, the suspense is at times breathtaking, literally.

"The Hurt Locker" is a miracle and the definitive consecration of a great filmmaker, Kathryn Bigelow. This is also a rare occasion in which I went to see the film without having read a single review or knowing anything about it. One should try to do that more often because the impact of the surprise translates into pure pleasure and in this case, sometimes, you have to look away from the unmitigated horror. Jeremy Renner is a real find.

He is superb. A kind soul, wild man with enough arrogance to make him appear reckless and yet his humanity precedes him. People may commit the mistake of avoiding this gem thinking that it's just a war film. Don't. It isn't. It's a great, engrossing film about human emotions, not to be missed.

The hurt locker is the better film
20000miles

Con

Thank you for posting this debate.

While I did enjoy both films, the case that Avatar was the superior film rests on two planks.

Firstly, Avatar's special effects are superior to those of the Hurt Locker. James Cameron penned the film in 1994, and production was set to begin in 1997 for a 1999 release. However Cameron believed that "technology had not caught up with the story and vision that he intended to tell." [1] As a result, the avatar project spanned 15 years in total. The final piece is studded by stunning CGI rainforests, as well as revolutionary filmmaking techniques, including technology permitting Cameron to capture the motion and facial expressions of the actors and to render them accurately into digital forms. watching Avatar is truly like being taken to another world.

Secondly, Avatar's themes are more heavy-hitting and significant today. Included in these are resource depletion, dispossession of land from natives, colonialism, Unites States military agression, animal rights and speciesism. Compared to The Hurt Locker, Avatar is the more thematically sophisticated film, making The Hurt Locker appear one dimensional.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...(2009_film)#Origins
bighead

Pro

Avatar is superrior because it had $300 million budget. However The Hurt Locker only had a $15 million budget. Although the hurt locker just a $15 million budget it was yet such a really well made film that make it more unique than Avatar.

Furthermore the fact that the hurt locker won the Oscar for best picture should be proof enough that it is the better film.

Avatar is cheesy and boring but the hurt locker has a gripping storyline about modern day Iraq so it clearly the better film.

i dont need to say any more ;)
20000miles

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for a stimulating debate.

Addressing Pro's points in R2:

"Avatar is superrior because it had $300 million budget. However The Hurt Locker only had a $15 million budget. Although the hurt locker just a $15 million budget it was yet such a really well made film that make it more unique than Avatar."

It appears that my opponent concedes that Avatar is "superior" at least with respect to special effects. Although the budget for Avatar was several times greater than for The Hurt Locker, this doesn't really prove which was the better film. This was not a debate about which film was better value for money, nor was it about which film was more "unique".

"Furthermore the fact that the hurt locker won the Oscar for best picture should be proof enough that it is the better film."

This is certainly a worthwhile point, although we must remember that Oscar winners are decided by the members of the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. This is not the only critical award presented for film-making, thus not making it the final arbiter of which is the better film. Surely the fact that Avatar is now the highest grossing film of all time adds weight to the argument that it's the superior film.

I urge Pro to go see Avatar again, this time in 3D, and give it another go.

Vote Con.
Posted by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
It seemed in the second round PRO thought the fact that the hurt locker won the Oscar for best picture was going to be proof that he would win the debate. It really frustrates me when I hear that because so many people say the fact that the hurt locker won the Oscar made it the better picture.

I'm glad to see PRO lost, just because a film is an Oscar winner doesn't mean it is a good film. From what I've learnt about the Oscars is that the voters and the voting system are snobby and bias.
The Oscar's favours films with politics and look down on films with sci-fi in them, and that is the ultimate reason Avatar didn't win the Oscar.

Avatar is an Epic film and the hurt locker will never be more than 1% epic as far as I'm concerned. In my opinion the film Black hawk down should have won more Oscars that the Hurt Locker.

Anyway I'm sure we will all agree that the dark knight would have been a better winner for the 2008 best picture Oscar instead of Slum dog millionaire. To hell with what the Oscars says
Posted by Blank 6 years ago
The story of avatar was ripped off "dances with wolves"
Posted by tornshoe92 6 years ago
tornshoe92
Gripping storyline? I think I got ripped off because the Avatar that I watched had pretty crappy and cliche writing. The mineral they are tearing this planet up for is called "Unobtainium"? Are you kidding?!?!
Posted by Jurn77 6 years ago
Jurn77
How do you fall asleep during Avatar? The storyline was gripping, scenery fantastic, and script/acting amazingly done.
Posted by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
I hated both, the Avatar i fell asleep in the theater and Hurt Locker i quit after they got to the scene where they were watching each other through the sniping glass. I was surprised i did not stop watching when the guy wasted like 20min trying to find a bomb on the car that wasn't there. Last year was horrible for movies. I rather the Blind Side, Basterds, or Up in the air win instead of Hurt Locker
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
How did people like District 9? I've never rooted against a main character to such an extent before - I hated that guy.
Posted by juvanya 6 years ago
juvanya
They both suck. District 9 and Basterds were far better.
Posted by J.Kenyon 6 years ago
J.Kenyon
Hurt Locker > Avatar

No comparison.
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
I didn't see it, but apparently the look on James Cameron's face at the Oscar's when he found out that his ex-wife beat him out for best picture (Hurt Locker) was "classic."

RFD: Oscar/highest grossing are a wash - both are different but equally valid measures of a films success
thematic/content are a wash - both sides provide reasons why their film covers important issues
special effects go to con: pro could have expanded on relative money spent by explaining more about why the indie film movement is important and the studios' advantage is unfair, but this wasn't argued
Vote Placed by WhoDaFoo4 6 years ago
WhoDaFoo4
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by WrathofGod 6 years ago
WrathofGod
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by adealornodeal 6 years ago
adealornodeal
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by TheAtheistAllegiance 6 years ago
TheAtheistAllegiance
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by LaissezFaire 6 years ago
LaissezFaire
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by Shtookah 6 years ago
Shtookah
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by nonentity 6 years ago
nonentity
bighead20000milesTied
Vote Placed by tornshoe92 6 years ago
tornshoe92
bighead20000milesTied