TrashCanMan
4stFire

The IPad is completely USELESS!!

4stFire
Started: 12/12/2010 Category: Technology

TrashCanMan

Pro

Apple recently came out with a touchscreen tablet called the IPad. It does nothing at all! It's just one big ipod touch. Nobody can say that the IPad does anything useful that an Ipod touch does not. I know from experience because my aunt has an IPad and it doesn't even type properly. Better luck next time apple! I now will let my opponent make his argument.
4stFire

Con

Perhaps the one, biggest rule that I have discovered on Debate.Org, is that you're debate topic must be clear and objective. Most everyone on here will snatch up on your technicality immediately.
I am going to start my argument by defining useless according to Dictionary.com. It says:–adjective
1. of no use; not serving the purpose or any purpose; unavailing or futile: It is useless to reason with him.
2. without useful qualities; of no practical good: a useless person; a useless gadget.
Under this definition, almost anything could be considered useful because almost anything can be used for SOMETHING. For example, the IPad could be used as a paper weight or drink coaster.
Aside from the technicality, however, I would like to argue that there is a first for everything and Apple does a great job at being the pioneers of modern technology. They come up with unique and innovative products that everyone later copies. I ask, do you yourself own an IPad? or is this just a jealous hate
TrashCanMan

Pro

As I have already stated, my aunt owns an IPad and I spent almost all of thanksgiving at her house so Im practically an expert by now. I realize that my topic was wrong and I cant seem to figure out how to change it. At any rate, I want to clarify that i meant it is practically useless. It does nothing worth doing that an ipod touch cannot already do. It would be like having an alarm clock and replacing it with an even bigger one. The second clock is just as useful as the first. They both wake you up and they both tell time. one just takes up more room.
4stFire

Con

The new definition is that IPads provides no Practical purpose.
Now that you are an "expert", can I ask what you did with your Aunt's IPad? Did you use one of its hundreds (perhaps thousands) of business apps? Did you use the easy Internet surfing interface? or did you just complain as you clumsily plucked at the keyboard? I ask because saying that the IPad has no practical purpose is completely ignorant. Although hardly conventional, the IPad functions for many as both an entertainment device and as an educational/productive device. Many schools are attempting to see how well students can learn their textbooks on the IPad. I (personally) am excited to see this Ender's Game-esque technology come to life.
You make the argument that the IPad is similar to getting a larger alarm clock. Well, I agree with you except this alarm clock, you realize, has an AM/FM radio, better sound and a longer battery life. Just because something is new and strange, doesn't mean we can't embrace it.
TrashCanMan

Pro

Pehraps some people might use an IPad to read books and stuff. But why not use a Kindle? Its a lot cheaper and it doesn't have the distraction of games or music. AND if you wanted games or music, you could probably hack your kindle so that youd have the exact same stuff. Also, sometimes a simple alarm clock is nice. Too many bells and whistles can be confusing and never be used in the first place. My alarm clock has a radio and I NEVER use it. I conclude my argument by saying that the IPad is practically useless because it serves no purpose not already performed by a cheaper product.
4stFire

Con

I would like to discredit TrashCanMan's previous argument by saying that we are arguing that the Ipad is practically useless, not whether the Kindle is a better substitute. He also provides no evidence nor knowledge to just how easy or difficult it is to "hack your kindle".
Although some might not use their "clock radio", some will not buy alarm clocks if there isn't a radio attached. Even though some things might seem unimportant to you, other demographics might really enjoy that feature. Apple took this into consideration and created a generally well rounded and diverse product. It serves many practical purposes and functions on many different levels higher than the ipod touch. The IPod and the IPad are two separate products so let's judge them separately.
I end my argument stating that the IPad might not be for everyone, but it is hardly useless.
Posted by LiquidLiquid 6 years ago
LiquidLiquid
The IPAD is great if you like a lot of things, but not great if you just like one. If you just want to read books, the kindle kicks it's butt! If you just want to do computing on the go on a small screen, a netbook kicks it's butt. If you want it all, and you want eye candy up the butt, the ipad is what you want.
Posted by Chrysippus 6 years ago
Chrysippus
Makes me sad, too. I try my best to vote fairly; but in this case, I cannot be held free from bias. I would cry, if Con didn't deserve the win anyway.
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
"My vote on this issued is completely biased and faulty."
This makes me sad
Posted by Chrysippus 6 years ago
Chrysippus
This vote was cast from my iPad. I have found the iPad to be just as useful, if not more so, than any laptop I have ever used.

My vote on this issued is completely biased and faulty. I do think con made the better arguments here, though, so I don't feel bad about voting for him.
Vote Placed by LiquidLiquid 6 years ago
LiquidLiquid
TrashCanMan4stFireTied
Vote Placed by adealornodeal 6 years ago
adealornodeal
TrashCanMan4stFireTied
Vote Placed by Warturtle 6 years ago
Warturtle
TrashCanMan4stFireTied
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
TrashCanMan4stFireTied
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 6 years ago
Chrysippus
TrashCanMan4stFireTied