eastcoastsamuel
4saken

The Implementation of Capital Punishment

eastcoastsamuel

Con

This debate will focus on the implementation of capital punishment aka the death penalty--a punishment used by the legal system to execute prisoners, often for major crimes such as murder or armed robbery. I will be against the resolution, and stating that it is a wrongful system on an economic, moral and societal/racial level. I am requesting an opponent with at least five completed, untied debates--it doesn't matter what your record is currently. I look forward to an thoughtful debate.

Order:
Round One--Acceptance
Round Two--Opening Arguments
Round Three--Refutations
Round Four--Refutations/Repairs
Round Five--Closing Statements (no new arguments--show why you've won the round)
4saken

Pro

Oops, I didn't see that you want someone with at least five completed, untied debates.

Nevertheless, I'm not inexperienced in this matter (you can see my debate here: http://www.debate.org...) so I promise this will be a thoughtful debate.

Thank you and good luck!
eastcoastsamuel

Con

eastcoastsamuel forfeited this round.
4saken

Pro

Because Con didn't refuse my offer to join this debate, it's safe to assume that the debate will continue as normal, following the framework he made in Round 1. Now I will begin with my arguments.

Death Penalty is Just

Any crime will be punished proportional to how serious they are. Someone committing a petty crime can get away with just a fine. If his crime is more serious, he could be put into jail. And when a man commits the most atrocious acts, he should receive the highest penalty: the death punishment.

This a quote of Robert Macy, District Attorney of Oklahoma City, about one of his case: "In 1991, a young mother was rendered helpless and made to watch as her baby was executed. The mother was then mutilated and killed. The killer should not lie in some prison with three meals a day, clean sheets, cable TV, family visits and endless appeals. For justice to prevail, some killers just need to die." [1]

What is described above is just one single case. There are many other criminals who committed much more horrifying murders, and they should receive their retribution. It is not "eye for an eye". It is not revenge. It's a punishment for someone who deserves it. And it is justice.

Death Penalty deter crimes

Punishment makes people less likely to violate the laws and more severe punishment will deter crimes better. Because everyone fears death, they will be more hesitated before committing a serious crime.

In one of his research in 1975, Professor Isaac Ehrlich of the University of Buffalo estimated that each execution deterred about seven or eight homicides [2]. Additional research of Professor Stephen K. Layson of the University of North Carolina has reconfirmed Professor Ehrlich's results [3].

There are also newer studies confirming the deterrence effect of death penalty. For example, Professors Hashem Dezhbakhsh of Emory University and Joanna Shepherd of Clemson University, after analysing the panel data covering the fifty states from 1960 to 2000, found out that the murder rate increases when the death penalty is abolished and decreases when it is reinstated [4]. The following figure is taken from their study:

As you can see, the homicide rate increases when the number of execution decreases, and vice-versa.

In another study, Joana Shepherd found out that the death penalty "deters murders previously believed to be undeterrable: crimes of passion and murders by intimates" [5].

[1] http://prodpquotes.info...
[2] "The Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment: A Question of Life and Death," (1975), Isaac Ehrlich
[3] "Homicide and Deterrence: A Reexamination of the United States Time-Series Evidence," (1985), Stephen K. Layson
[4] "The Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment: Evidence from a 'Judicial Experiment'", Hashem Dezhbakhsh and Joanna Shepherd (2003)
[5] "Murders of Passion, Execution Delays, and the Deterrence of Capital Punishment", Joanna Shepherd (2003)
eastcoastsamuel

Con

eastcoastsamuel forfeited this round.
4saken

Pro

Because Con didn't present any arguments, I have nothing to refute.
eastcoastsamuel

Con

eastcoastsamuel forfeited this round.
4saken

Pro

4saken forfeited this round.
eastcoastsamuel

Con

eastcoastsamuel forfeited this round.
4saken

Pro

4saken forfeited this round.
Posted by 4saken 4 years ago
4saken
Okay, let's restart this debate.
Posted by eastcoastsamuel 4 years ago
eastcoastsamuel
I'm sorry about the forfeiting of rounds in this debate--I've been busy with a number of personal issues and school work. I'm willing to restart this debate with the same standards and same sides, with 4saken's permission, of course. The first round would be me presenting opening arguments, and we can go on from there.
Posted by eastcoastsamuel 4 years ago
eastcoastsamuel
Sorry, I should have made that more clear. The resolution refers to the implementation of capital punishment in general--a system used by the courts to punish criminals through execution. It's not necessarily one specific way (like, for instance, lethal injection), it's the practice in general, and whether or not it is right on a moral, economic and societal level.
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
What, specifically, is your resolution? By throwing in "implementation", you seem to be muddying the waters; are you just trying to say you're against capital punishment, or against our current implementation of it, or...?